Media Relations Person for PokeMMO

Bestfriends

Question

e28d5825ffde71f75b474e6da629e27e.pngd5cd74eaff61f7e098ee81396a62616d.pnge28d5825ffde71f75b474e6da629e27e.png

Media Relations Person for PokeMMO

I would like to suggest a media relations person for PokeMMO because I would like eliminate as much uncertainty as possible. There might be some uncertainty as to incorporating this sort of thing, so I have a two suggestions on that point:

1. Appoint a staff member to take questions. Brief the staff member in this department to answer some questions and dismiss other questions.

2. Add this to the job responsibility for the Social Media Mods.

2bff9777dfd3f9915d7052617ba34eb3.png

Spoiler

It would be an honour to work with @Bearminator, if he is assigned the responsibility of Media relations.

I feel that this is an important part of PokeMMO because some YouTubers might put their own spin and go into inaccurate territory (I am not the only news reporter, but I market myself the most). Do you see any flaws in my suggestion, please tell me in the comments below.

15 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Zymogen said:

In which case I can't really see this ever being a thing - I doubt there's a substantial enough YouTuber/"journalist" populace to justify it being implemented into the job description. 

One of my competitors made videos about GTL and the Johto starters almost like a reporter. I can assure you that there are more people like him out there.

So, in other words, eliminate the so called 'media market' that spreads 'false' information as your method is far more superior methods compared to most others if you can get a hold of the 'media relations person'.

Sounds to me like you're wanting to be the one and only source of information about whats going on in PokeMMO and to be the sole provider of said information to be spread through youtube. Not to sound rude or anything, but dont you feel like there may be a bit of agitation you're putting off towards other people trying to cover the same thing you try to cover?

Am I the only one that thinks this isn't even close to worthy of the time or work it would take? Seems pretty pointless to me. Devs never answer questions anyways because they don't really like us knowing what's gonna happen until it happens. On top of that, this game is not nearly popular enough for a real audience and, quite frankly, anyone calling themselves a journalist for this game seems to me like a joke. Sue me if you feel like it, but that's my opinion.

5 hours ago, Pyroface said:

Sounds to me like you're wanting to be the one and only source of information about whats going on in PokeMMO and to be the sole provider of said information to be spread through youtube. Not to sound rude or anything, but dont you feel like there may be a bit of agitation you're putting off towards other people trying to cover the same thing you try to cover?

Please help me understand your point, but are you saying that I have such a monopoly on the news market to the point where I want to be the only man who provides information on PokeMMO? If that is what your trying to convey, then I beg to differ on that point. There are a couple of people out there that cover this stuff, but I don't want staff to shut off announcements and update logs about the game. I would like a staff member to "correct" the record if I misunderstand something in the update logs or in the announcements. For anyone interested in my field of work here on PokeMMO, you need to be a member on TS. You also need to prove to staff members that you have your own YouTube channel. I think this is in the best interest of the community as a whole.

3 hours ago, BigShotJoe said:

Am I the only one that thinks this isn't even close to worthy of the time or work it would take? Seems pretty pointless to me. Devs never answer questions anyways because they don't really like us knowing what's gonna happen until it happens. On top of that, this game is not nearly popular enough for a real audience and, quite frankly, anyone calling themselves a journalist for this game seems to me like a joke. Sue me if you feel like it, but that's my opinion.

Your concern seems important, so let me address it. If the devs do not want the community to know about a certain feature, they can brief the Media Relations person not to reveal anything. The developers can do whats called a "tease." The devs can ask a MR person to come to networks like myself and throw some meat to my viewers. I would argue that this would actually increase the hype for the next update. As I said in my suggestion....

16 hours ago, Bestfriends said:

1. Brief the staff member in this department to answer some questions and dismiss other questions.

If the developers don't want something to be known about, just tell the MR person not to leak it. Think of this like gaming journalism (IGN Entertainment) interviewing a well known gaming publisher (Nintendo) about a new product. The gaming publisher might leak some of the specs of the console, but not all of them so the consumer can still have a lot of hype when they explore it.

Edited by Bestfriends

Why don't you just ask any staff member?

Must they be briefed?

Surely you can just ask rachelucario in a quick pm. She'll know what's not ok to reveal. Get a Screenshot of a scoop!

A "media relations person" would just restrict the amount of staff you can dig up information from, no?

On 13/10/2016 at 2:24 AM, Eggplant said:

Why don't you just ask any staff member?

Must they be briefed?

Surely you can just ask rachelucario in a quick pm. She'll know what's not ok to reveal. Get a Screenshot of a scoop!

A "media relations person" would just restrict the amount of staff you can dig up information from, no?

Your correct about a media relations person being a restriction to my job here on PokeMMO, but when I ask questions to someone in the staff lounge, I often times bother them when they are doing a project like adjusting sprites or modifying the client a little. The media relations person can take some of the pressure off of the general staff so that the general staff can get their projects done without being bothered.

What about those people who detest the staff in this game and still want to provide information? I mean there are plenty of people who don't want anything to do with the staff here and surely don't want to go through the trouble of interviewing/ getting scrutinised by one.

36 minutes ago, Bishav said:

What about those people who detest the staff in this game and still want to provide information? I mean there are plenty of people who don't want anything to do with the staff here and surely don't want to go through the trouble of interviewing/ getting scrutinised by one.

Let me give you a scenario that might address your counter argument. Your a (FOX, CNN, or ABC) reporter and you want to know how both presidential campaigns are running their operations. How do you acquire information about said campaigns? You can't just say "Trump is running this campaign in a bigoted way" or "Clinton is running this campaign like a champ!" You have to interview both campaigns and they disclose what they want to disclose. You assign some reporters over to Trump's campaign stops and other reporters to Clinton stops. It would be nice to land an exclusive interview with a top member of the campaign staff. I am in a sense, the news reporter trying to figure out the scoop of PokeMMO's politics. I study things like the way forums is being dealt with, staff step downs and promotions, PokeMMO the game, the competitive politics (the tier list council), etc. Having a Media Relations person makes my job a lot easier.

I know I am addressing your points backwards, but you asked about people who disdain the staff as a whole, but want to cover the news pertaining to this game. Lets go back to my campaign example, your a (FOX, CNN, or ABC) reporter and you try to cover the scoop in a campaign. You hate Trump for his wall proposal, but you still need to get that scoop. You limit the capabilities of your reporting due to the bias against Trump. You don't have to like the way how Trump runs his campaign, but at least cover it honestly and do your job as a reporter. I happen to like the way how Squirtle runs the staff lounge so I don't have this problem.

3 hours ago, Bestfriends said:

Let me give you a scenario that might address your counter argument. Your a (FOX, CNN, or ABC) reporter and you want to know how both presidential campaigns are running their operations. How do you acquire information about said campaigns? You can't just say "Trump is running this campaign in a bigoted way" or "Clinton is running this campaign like a champ!" You have to interview both campaigns and they disclose what they want to disclose. You assign some reporters over to Trump's campaign stops and other reporters to Clinton stops. It would be nice to land an exclusive interview with a top member of the campaign staff. I am in a sense, the news reporter trying to figure out the scoop of PokeMMO's politics. I study things like the way forums is being dealt with, staff step downs and promotions, PokeMMO the game, the competitive politics (the tier list council), etc. Having a Media Relations person makes my job a lot easier.

I know I am addressing your points backwards, but you asked about people who disdain the staff as a whole, but want to cover the news pertaining to this game. Lets go back to my campaign example, your a (FOX, CNN, or ABC) reporter and you try to cover the scoop in a campaign. You hate Trump for his wall proposal, but you still need to get that scoop. You limit the capabilities of your reporting due to the bias against Trump. 

In this case you are giving trump the ability to control what is being reported. That is not healthy for a free media.

16 hours ago, Bishav said:

In this case you are giving trump the ability to control what is being reported. That is not healthy for a free media.

On the Trump example, the media keeps on discussing Donald Trump's mishaps and the merits of the wonderful and beautiful Hillary Rodham Clinton (Wikileaks does not exist). It is not healthy to slander a man without due process. Let me give you an example, Squirtle, the head of PokeMMO staff relations, hires a staff member and then someone prominent in the community says he would enjoy pulling little girl's hair. I don't cover gossip, but a competitor of mine covers it ad nauseam (there is no gossip columnist on PokeMMO and I hope it stays that way). Due to the popularity of the news channel and the fact that most of the community believes this rumour, Squirtle would fire said staff member so PokeMMO has a good image. I feel the same is happening with Trump, you talk about his four bankruptcies (and he got out of them), he degrades women left and right (I assume the media did not look around his tower in NY - some of his executives are women), and the Donald hates ALL Mexicans (the media didn't hear him say "illegal immigrants"). There have been times where the media did criticise Trump fairly like the bus tape. PokeMMO gives you the freedom to report on their game. I've seen people criticise and praise certain features of the game. People who criticised a certain aspect of PokeMMO's game mechanics were not banned for reporting on the matter. The Media Relations person would try to suit said parties to make PokeMMO look innovative and open to opposing arguments. Criticising a staff member on air is not an argument that would make the game mechanics better, its just slander on the airwaves. I try not to slander on air because I know that airwaves have an impact on the minds of my viewers. I want to be as objective as possible.

Spoiler

As a side note, if you feel that a staff member is abusing his/her power, you can report that person to a higher up.

Another side note: I am not endorsing Donald Trump, it may look that way, but I am not. The media has done a poor job in covering both candidates accurately. I feel that Hillary was given too much of a pass compared to the Donald. I will not disclose who I am aligning myself with.

Edited by Bestfriends