First team comp

Hi all, i'm building my first comp team, and since i have no experience with it, i would like some advice.

I thought building the following team:

Flygon

Nature: Adamant

Item: Choice Band

EV: 252 speed, 252 atack, 6hp

Moves: Superpower, Dragon Claw, Earthquake,

Swampert

Nature: Impish

Item: Leftovers

EV: 252 hp, 116 def, 40 sp. def

Moves:Earthquake, Ice Punch, Toxic, Roar/Protect?

Skarmory

EV: 252 speed, 252 def

Moves: Spikes, Whirlwind, Drillpeck, Rest

Venusaur

Nature: Calm

EV: 252 hp, 252 sp def.

Moves:Sleep powder, Giga drain, Sludge bomb, leech seed

Chansey

Nature: Bold

Moves:Aromatherapy, Wish, Soft-boilded, Ice Beam/Toxic?

Starmie

Nature: Timid

EV: 252 sp atack, 252 speed

Moves: Rapid Spin, Thunderbolt, Psychic, Recover

What do you guys think? would this team able to be successful?

I assume you meant 252 hp on skarm? Not speed? Health is the way to go.

I would probably go Surf over Thunderbolt on Starmie otherwise you can't do too much to Metagross/Forre(these carry Pin Missile these days so more threatening), although you don't have too much for Gyarados then, but Starmie isn't a great answer regardless. How about making your Swampert mixed nature and adding HP elec for roar/prot/ice punch?

Chansey + Calm Venusaur is a little wasteful of a spot. I'd just use one, the Chansey looks nice. The standard set is wish, prot, stoss, twave(stops snorlax coming in free).

Your last spot I'd recommend something for Snorlax, Rhydon is a decent switch or you could use Skarmory as a Lax switch but I'd have a fighting type in the back just in case, maybe Blaziken or Breloom.

Edited by KaynineXL

3 minutes ago, KaynineXL said:

I would probably go Surf over thunderbolt on Starmie otherwise you can't do much to Metagross/Forre(these carry Pin Missile these days so more threatening), although you don't have too much for Gyarados then, but Starmie isn't a great answer regardless. How about making your Swampert mixed nature and adding HP elec for roar/prot/ice punch?

Chansey + Calm Venusaur is a little wasteful of a spot. I'd just use one, the Chansey looks nice. The standard set is wish, prot, stoss, twave(stops snorlax coming in free).

Your last spot I'd recommend something for Snorlax, Rhydon is a decent switch or you use Skarmory as a Lax switch but I'd have a fighting type just in case, maybe Blaziken or Breloom.

2 minutes ago, jasonoon95 said:

add thunderpunch to flygon

skarmory doesnt need full speed, ev hp, add some to speed if u want

why choice band chansey? and usually people run aroma+softboiled or wish+protec

My bad guys, was ctrl c+ ctrl v and forgot to change the speed and the choice band.

Ty for your help, so following your advices i will change venusaur for Blaziken.

I didnt thought of snorlax cuz i heard people talk about him getting to uber tier, and didnt wanted to "waste" money.

All the rest looks ok?

2 minutes ago, SwordrowS said:

My bad guys, was ctrl c+ ctrl v and forgot to change the speed and the choice band.

Ty for your help, so following your advices i will change venusaur for Blaziken.

I didnt thought of snorlax cuz i heard people talk about him getting to uber tier, and didnt wanted to "waste" money.

All the rest looks ok?

Snorlax was decided yesterday that it would not be banned.

Breed away.

3 minutes ago, KaynineXL said:

Snorlax was decided yesterday that it would not be banned.

Breed away.

In that case, wich spot shoul i change? I know that's a noob question but i'm kind lost on building comp teams, for this team i have been thinking for a few days to get to it

Conceptually I like it...  You def need to plan for snorlax some how as XL said...  Also, what happens when gyrados comes out? 

Below are my opinions on individual okemon.  These will help you with this team and will allow you to use these guys successfully more often on a veriety of teams.

CB Flygon should be jolly.

Venu needs HP Fire

Starmie: Conceptually I like it... but your EV are jacked it should be more like 252 HP and 252 sp attack... make sure to check the speed tiers and determine what you want to outspeed... I would suggest 147 for gyrados, but doesn't matter....

Chansey: Wish/Protect or softboiled, not both.  SToss Twave would be my choice for 4th move.  S Toss is a pain to breed in so make sure to read about that if your making it yourself.

Swampert - Not sure what I think of that build - CB with enough speed to outspeed metagross would be my bet as to being better.

6 minutes ago, Murcielago said:

Conceptually I like it...  You def need to plan for snorlax some how as XL said...  Also, what happens when gyrados comes out? 

Below are my opinions on individual okemon.  These will help you with this team and will allow you to use these guys successfully more often on a veriety of teams.

Venu needs HP Fire

Starmie: Conceptually I like it... but your EV are jacked it should be more like 252 HP and 252 sp attack... make sure to check the speed tiers and determine what you want to outspeed... I would suggest 147 for gyrados, but doesn't matter....

Chansey: Wish/Protect or softboiled, not both.  SToss Twave would be my choice for 4th move.  S Toss is a pain to breed in so make sure to read about that if your making it yourself.

Swampert - Not sure what I think of that build - CB with enough speed to outspeed metagross would be my bet as to being better.

About gyarados, as Jasonoon95 said, i may use thunderpunch on flygon, hope that helps... but you're right, as both you and XL said i need to find a way to def against snorlax, wich right cant think of one.

Why is S toss a pain to breed? isnt it like the other moves? ty for the advice, cuz i didnt know that and yes, it's me who is breeding all the pokes...

16 minutes ago, Murcielago said:

Venu needs HP Fire

I disagree, adamant flygon has its benefits. Only reason you run jolly flagon is mainly for other flygons. Considering he has skarm/swamp he may not need to fight Flygon. That said, they're both good.

Starmie I disagree again. Speed has its benefits. I like a speedy Starmie myself.

Also, Stoss is a tutor move. You don't need to breed it on.

16 minutes ago, SwordrowS said:

In that case, wich spot shoul i change? I know that's a noob question but i'm kind lost on building comp teams, for this team i have been thinking for a few days to get to it

Switch Chansey for Snorlax.

thunderpunch on flygon is only good for predicting or if you start out vs. gyra or both switch in at the same time.  If gyra is out already flygon isnt a safe switch in, which is what you need.

Porygon2

weezing

^Those would be the more standard wall varients, If I was you I would get a weezing it will have the most overall utility.  I actually can sell you a good one if your in the market too... same with everything your looking for lol...

45 minutes ago, KaynineXL said:

I would probably go Surf over Thunderbolt on Starmie otherwise you can't do too much to Metagross/Forre(these carry Pin Missile these days so more threatening), although you don't have too much for Gyarados then, but Starmie isn't a great answer regardless. How about making your Swampert mixed nature and adding HP elec for roar/prot/ice punch?

Your last spot I'd recommend something for Snorlax, Rhydon is a decent switch or you could use Skarmory as a Lax switch but I'd have a fighting type in the back just in case, maybe Blaziken or Breloom.

Sorry to come back to this, would relaxed be a good nature for mixed nature swampert? i lose speed, but i doubt that swampert would outspeed gya anyway, or i'm i wrong?

Just now, SwordrowS said:

Sorry to come back to this, would relaxed be a good nature for mixed nature swampert? i lose speed, but i doubt that swampert would outspeed gya anyway, or i'm i wrong?

Yes, use relaxed 252 hp + 252 def. Do calc and check if it's wise to invest in sp atk for hp elec to ohko.

10 minutes ago, Murcielago said:

thunderpunch on flygon is only good for predicting or if you start out vs. gyra or both switch in at the same time.  If gyra is out already flygon isnt a safe switch in, which is what you need.

Porygon2

weezing

^Those would be the more standard wall varients, If I was you I would get a weezing it will have the most overall utility.  I actually can sell you a good one if your in the market too... same with everything your looking for lol...

Ty for your offer, but i doubt that i would have enough money to buy them, and since this is my first team i really want to have the work of breed it, but in the future who knows.

also, what would you suggest instead of thunderpunch on flygon?

Chancey: Stoss is an egg move chain breed on with mawile (or w/e)  If you breed your pokemon thinking you can just learn it from the tutor you will be sadely mistaken.

S Toss is a tutor move but chancey cannot learn it from the tutor, it needs to be bred on as described or else it cannot get it.

3 minutes ago, Murcielago said:

Chancey: Stoss is an egg move chain breed on with mawile (or w/e)  If you breed your pokemon thinking you can just learn it from the tutor you will be sadely mistaken.

S Toss is a tutor move but chancey cannot learn it from the tutor, it needs to be bred on as described or else it cannot get it.

are u kidding? Ofc not. It can be learnt through the tutor. 

36 minutes ago, Murcielago said:

Lol... no :)  This actually was the case a year ago when I made mine... it might have been a glitch that has been patched... I dunno but just throwing it out there.

Stoss is a tutor move, has been for a long time.

Edited by KaynineXL
On 10/4/2016 at 11:56 PM, SwordrowS said:

Flygon

Nature: Adamant

Moves: Superpower, Dragon Claw, Earthquake,

This set looks fine, I'd go Jolly if you're running CB, but Adamant should work too, you need Thunderpunch for Skarmory and Gyarados since they're usually common switch ins.

Tbh since you're Adamant you could even swap between CB and Scarf depending on what you think your team is gonna need.

If you want something more unpredictable then I suggest a mixed Life Orb set with a Hasty/Naive/Lonely/Naughty nature with a set of Dragon Claw, EQ, Fire Blast, Thunderpunch (Could even slap Giga Drain in there)

Swampert

EV: 252 hp, 116 def, 40 sp. def

Moves:Earthquake, Ice Punch, Toxic, Roar/Protect?

Since you have nothing to switch against a +1 Gyara (WW skarm can work but Taunt Gyara ggs it) I'd change Swamp for something like Relaxed Gyarados with Thunderbolt/Waterfall/Thunder Wave or Toxic/Flamethrower or Roar

If you really want to run Swampert, I suggest trading your CB Flygon for a CB Swamp (Waterfall/Superpower/EQ/Rock Slide or Ice Punch)

Swamp+Venu+Gyara is a nice core

Skarmory

EV: 252 speed, 252 def

Moves: Spikes, Whirlwind, Drillpeck, Rest

252 HP, 252 Def, you only need 4 speed (31 iv) so you can outspeed uninvested skarms or speed tie others with 4 speed (But then there's people who put 12 speed to outspeed those 4 speed ones lel)

Set is good, can go Taunt over Rest, but Rest can save you matches

Venusaur

Nature: Calm

EV: 252 hp, 252 sp def.

Moves:Sleep powder, Giga drain, Sludge bomb, leech seed

I don't recommend going Sleep Powder, 75 acc is bad and sleeping a foe with Venu won't really get you anywhere tbh

I'd tweak those evs, remove some spdef/hp for speed so you can beat Jolly Maro or even go extra to beat Ada max speed Swamps

Also ye change Sleep for Hp Fire or Steel types just gonna have free switches against you

Synthesis or even Growth instead of Leech

Chansey

Nature: Bold

Moves:Aromatherapy, Wish, Soft-boilded, Ice Beam/Toxic?

Not even sure if real, anyways Snorlax>Chansey

Starmie

Nature: Timid

EV: 252 sp atack, 252 speed

Moves: Rapid Spin, Thunderbolt, Psychic, Recover

Good Pursuit Lax bait, nah this set won't get you far in current meta, watch round 5 match of Tasty Cep OU, me vs Dreico, he basically had a similar set to that one and I had 0 problem removing it from play, he kept spamming Recover against my Pursuit lax and eventually still died

Either try Trick Star or Bulky Star or no Star at all, if you really need a spinner, then change skarm for forretress and add a Relaxed Rk9 (Flame/Toxic/Morning Sun/Exspeed) so you dont get swept by a mixed Blaziken

So basically, Swamp/Venu/Forre/Snorlax/Gyara/Arcanine should be a good team to get you started and get some wins.