Ignoring Threads

BlackJovi

Question

I like to read almost every thread in the forums to keep up to date with it, specially in the round table. It's like a routine for me to read every thread in there which leads me to post in some of them, but I think some of those threads might get people into trouble because they think every post from an outside member is an attack.

So why not make it able to ignore whole threads instead of only ignoring players on the forums? It's annoying that a thread that I don't wanna read keeps popping up triggering me cuz it makes me read it just to clear that blue notification on the round table, if I would be able to ignore it I would probably refrain from posting and make the world a better place. Who doesnt want a better forums right? 

21 answers to this question

Just now, Munya said:

You can click the blue chat bubbles on forums sections at the forums front page to mark the forum sections as read, or at the top of the section on the right next to make new topic there is another mark forums read button.  For what its worth.

But I wanna read the other threads 

Counter-suggestion - ignore the team, rather than the thread.

Taking into account the regular digs I'm seeing going KO's way (via Hotarubi at least), your invasion of their semi-private thread using their continued quoting of yourselves as a (pretty poor) excuse, the fact that friends of yours are routinely joining KO just to troll and cause trouble, as well as your immensely childish public bashing of them at the end of the Magnemite event in Channel 7 yesterday, it takes nothing at all to come to the conclusion that your teams have a serious problem with each other (that I would suggest is more on your end than theirs).

Genuine question - is it not an option at all to just let everything until now slide, and move on without having to antagonise each other every single day?

14 minutes ago, FiveMagics said:

Counter-suggestion - ignore the team, rather than the thread.

Taking into account the regular digs I'm seeing going KO's way (via Hotarubi at least), your invasion of their semi-private thread using their continued quoting of yourselves as a (pretty poor) excuse, the fact that friends of yours are routinely joining KO just to troll and cause trouble, as well as your immensely childish public bashing of them at the end of the Magnemite event in Channel 7 yesterday, it takes nothing at all to come to the conclusion that your teams have a serious problem with each other (that I would suggest is more on your end than theirs).

Genuine question - is it not an option at all to just let everything until now slide, and move on without having to antagonise each other every single day?

No thanks, I wanna ignore the thread so I can refrain from posting and make the world a better place. ^-^

4 minutes ago, kloneman said:

It would literally be easier to just ignore the thread itself, in the literal sense of the word. Don't think the devs should have to waste their time on a pretty pointless feature for the sake of a couple of individuals.

Sometimes I do, but sometimes friend post and I feel the urge to check the thread and then I encounter posts which make me wanna reply to them, wouldn't it be easier to just be able to ignore the thread that way I cant see who posts or what gets posted

23 minutes ago, BlackJovi said:

Sometimes I do, but sometimes friend post and I feel the urge to check the thread and then I encounter posts which make me wanna reply to them, wouldn't it be easier to just be able to ignore the thread that way I cant see who posts or what gets posted

Then what happens if your friend tells you that something interesting is happening in that thread? You would then have the urge to unignore it and the cycle would continue.

Edited by kloneman

The suggestion is a useless feature in the sense that it doesn't address any issue.

An individual can be annoying/abusive and hence the ignore/block feature, a thread can not be abusive.

With the structure of the forum as it is (you can't see the content of a thread unless you click on it) it doesn't add anything to how the forum works.

The bold blue and the triggering argument is at least laughable. Even then maybe a "mark read" per thread would suffice.

1 hour ago, Munya said:

Please remain on the topic of ignoring threads, if they are a good idea or bad and why.

My apologies Munyo, I definietly preferred people to post some funny stuff in my team thread and make me laugh rather than making drama but yeah, I should've stayed on topic.

Oh well. I remember I had a similar issue on a different forum. I tend to read all the posts except for one or two threads I did not enjoy, then mark the unreaded posts as read. Voila, job done.

Now I think we can go back into posting spiderman

At the end of day, you all need to step back and take yourself out of that PokeMMO "hive mind" (which i'll admit i'm guilty of being in most of the time). This suggestion makes no sense when you can literally read all the topics you're interested in reading and then mark read the topics you want to ignore. If you can't resist the urge to read and react to some random post on a thread, then you've probably got bigger problems to worry about.

1 hour ago, BigShotJoe said:

There's always the path of self control. I mean, it is part of being a human being, no?

Self-control, an aspect of inhibitory control, is the ability to control one's emotions and behavior in the face of temptations and impulses.

As an executive function, self-control is a cognitive process that is necessary for regulating one's behavior in order to achieve goal.

The goal here would be to ignore the thread or not post in said area.

Well i think simply that lies with the user.

You can make a decision.

You must hold yourself and other accountable for decisions made.

You cannot blame someone for something you did and you cannot take the blame for something someone else did either.

I appreciate this insight Joe.

It pretty much gives an easier and overall more concise solve to this problem

To add simple logic.

I'm pretty sure this feature isn't possible in Forums.

At least this is a similar reason given when someone suggested a "forums" fix.

For example.

You cannot kick someone from a thread, or block someone from posting on a thread, so you also cannot ignore a thread.

That ignoring thing would be up to you the individual.

Not up to the community, or the staff.

Self-Control seems to be the solve.

11 hours ago, BlackJovi said:

yo honestly, why isnt this a thing yet? So many stupid threads being brought up and i keep getting notifications cuz friends post which is inevitable, do devs even fucking read this?

Easy solution: Stop following your friends and only follow the topics you want to read. 

I mean if people really think they dont have the self control not to read a thread they would rather avoid, then why not make this a thing. 

I can understand the OCD of wanting all threads to appear read, but then Munya and others gave a good alternative to achieve this.

If just the mere presence of a thread triggers you that much I think you have bigger problems to deal with. Not singling BlackJovi out here, just merely making a point to you all. 

Back in the day there was a thread or two where people constantly talked shit about me. I just took the moral high ground, ignored the thread and got on with my life because what people say on the internet means nothing. 

If people are THAT annoying that you dont want to see their content then there are 2 scenarios:

1. They are doing it on purpose, so dont rise to it and give them what they want.

2. They are literally so utterly brain dead and socially unaware they dont realise how annoying they are. People like this deserve sympathy and kindness more than anything. 

Anyway I trailed off somewhat but I am aware this thread spawned from ongoing rivalry between certain people and wanted to give it some thought.

To end with a more on topic statement, if the forum settings can accomodate this then I am for it being done. Especially as I see the tensions between people on here everyday. But I find it sad that this needs to be a thing in the first place, if that makes sense? 

1 hour ago, Noad said:

If people are THAT annoying that you dont want to see their content then there are 2 scenarios:

1. They are doing it on purpose, so dont rise to it and give them what they want.

2. They are literally so utterly brain dead and socially unaware they dont realise how annoying they are. People like this deserve sympathy and kindness more than anything. 

Sometimes its not about the people posting but really about personal or vendetta that which some individuals have.

Self control is what this boils down to.

Since forums cant allow you to block someone from posting in a thread.

Ignoring a thread seems like the other edge of the blade doesn't it?

I have no problem with ignoring threads btw I kind of like the idea, I just don't see the use in all truth.

There aren't only 2 possible reasonings often times its the person with the problem not the thread being a problem.

Fact is hate isn't good to have. It's a chip on your shoulder and you really end up being the one suffering by harboring such a feeling.

Often times people choose to hate breed instead of being forgiving or accepting of others.

Whats more Forums doesn't have an option to allow customization this is what i was under the impression of.

Requests for moderation over threads was declined I believe at least to members.

When it boils down to it. The most mature person is the first to apologize and the one with the most peace is the first to forgive when it comes to conflicts.

Threads aren't there to annoy you and you don't have to read or post on every notification you receive. 

Edited by Hotarubi
3 hours ago, Noad said:

Back in the day there was a thread or two where people constantly talked shit about me. I just took the moral high ground, ignored the thread and got on with my life because what people say on the internet means nothing. 

Anyway I trailed off somewhat but I am aware this thread spawned from ongoing rivalry between certain people and wanted to give it some thought.

To end with a more on topic statement, if the forum settings can accomodate this then I am for it being done. Especially as I see the tensions between people on here everyday. But I find it sad that this needs to be a thing in the first place, if that makes sense? 

2 hours ago, Hotarubi said:

Sometimes its not about the people posting but really about personal or vendetta that which some individuals have.

Self control is what this boils down to.

Since forums cant allow you to block someone from posting in a thread.

Ignoring a thread seems like the other edge of the blade doesn't it?

I have no problem with ignoring threads btw I kind of like the idea, I just don't see the use in all truth.

There aren't only 2 possible reasonings often times its the person with the problem not the thread being a problem.

Fact is hate isn't good to have. It's a chip on your shoulder and you really end up being the one suffering by harboring such a feeling.

Often times people choose to hate breed instead of being forgiving or accepting of others.

Whats more Forums doesn't have an option to allow customization this is what i was under the impression of.

Requests for moderation over threads was declined I believe at least to members.

When it boils down to it. The most mature person is the first to apologize and the one with the most peace is the first to forgive when it comes to conflicts.

Threads aren't there to annoy you and you don't have to read or post on every notification you receive. 

I think this is probably one of the best threads from a psychological standpoint. I'll be honest with you, back in 2014 people told me how terrible I was and that I should take a hike. Two years later, I am still here and I embrace the insults (bullies hate when you embrace it). If a bully calls you a "clown", you can hit back by saying "I am happy to make you laugh, I should inflate some balloons and squeak a horn." I am going to relate to @Hotarubi's point by saying that self control is a big factor in this fight against bullies. If I didn't have a sense of self control, then the following might of happened a long time ago:

1. I would have a shorter lifespan on YouTube

2. I could of been trapped in my own world full of college and instead of PokeMMO occupying most of my leisure time, I would either use N64 or the Nintendo GameCube as an alternative relaxing asset.

3. I would not of met the wonderful people that make this MMO go round.

@Noad also brings up a slightly similar tactic of how to avoid the bullies that bother you. You can block them with your forums settings so you can avoid the encounter entirely. If you plan to be in the public eye (like myself), I am going to advise against it because I want all my viewers to be heard. I want my fans and my haters to access me. There is a little thing you learn from your haters sometimes like if they say, "wow what a sloppy job..." then I kind of egg them on so they can tell me why I did such a "sloppy job." I'll be honest, I was quite pleased with the results and the haters shield themselves from telling me why I am doing such a terrible job because it would only help me better my content. I want to tell you about another conversation I had with a staff member a long time ago....

I remembered when people had such terrible comments aimed towards a certain staff member I knew was helpless to the results. For example, Person A might say "what a terrible update, the mail system is glitchy, lets pull out the pitch forks and the torches!" This staff member told me something so profound that it only furthered my understanding towards this sort of activity. When Person A would write about that stuff, I asked this staff member, "why can't you ask a GM to delete this comment?" The staff member replied by telling me, "we would like to keep that comment there so the development team would know that there is a problem or if there is another way we can better the implementation of said feature." Ever since then, I listen to people who complement or criticise my content on equal footing.