Remove live spectators in Automated Tournaments / Limit coaching

XPLOZ

Question

I made an event suggestion yesterday but I think more and more that it is a serious suggestion for every Automated Tournaments.

The idea : removing the 'Spectate' function during live battles in Automated Tournaments (not on the Ladder and not in the few Silph Co tournaments). Spectators would be allowed to watch battles with the replays only. 

Why ? Because some players are winning tournaments while hiding behind someone else and getting 100% coach'd. This really kills the spirit of the competition. 

As far as I know, Pokemon has always been about individual performances. Even if the team aspect is important in a MMO (help about teambuilding, ressources...), at the end of the day the battles should be 1 player VS 1 player, not 1 army (a big team) VS 1 player, or 1 skilled player who plays instead of a coward VS 1 player. 

We will agree that playing with a mate who gives sometimes his opinion on some situations is kinda alright, but when someome tells you all the moves you should do, it is basically ghosting. Well it isn't on a techinal view, but it is on an ethical view. Someone plays instead of you, and this isn't competitively acceptable. 

Pros :

-It would highlight individual skills and improve competition

Cons :

-Maybe less hype during live battles in Automated Tournaments, but who cares ? The hype during live battles is already gone with Automated Tournaments. We can't interact with other spectators, so watching replays or live battles is quite the same. 

Thx for reading and let's discuss. 

Edited by XPLOZ

4 hours ago, whilt said:

I further disagree with the view seeing 'coaching' as an exclusively beneficial function. What merit does it carry, this argument that two (or three or four or five... ad infinitum) is better than one? If a player is presented with a dissenting opinion or perhaps a prediction different than his, does it not trouble him instead? And if perhaps a general consensus is reached, what assures it of its legibility? None, because it still remains a prediction regardless of who or how many put forth the idea and therefore carries the same weight as the adversary's parallel prediction. Unless of course, you're TheChampionMike. 

I understand what you are saying, but yeah since this is an mmo you see people alot, and people start to develope play paterns etc. So if that player is being coached by 3 players he has no play paterns because he can be playing 3 turns in a row with 3 different's people ideas making this A highly hard player to take down no matter whos coaching because in general 1 mind is weaker than multiple specially when it comes to this kind of game where you don't have unlimited time to make a move. And yeah this is an mmo but in mmos that have pvp, your team doesnt hold your hand and do your battles for you, thats not how it works. 

Anyways I agree with Tyrone on a turn delay or even a time delay on each battles, thats what they do in league of legends and its working fine nobody is complaining lol. 

2 hours ago, LionKIng said:

I understand what you are saying, but yeah since this is an mmo you see people alot, and people start to develope play paterns etc. So if that player is being coached by 3 players he has no play paterns because he can be playing 3 turns in a row with 3 different's people ideas making this A highly hard player to take down no matter whos coaching because in general 1 mind is weaker than multiple specially when it comes to this kind of game where you don't have unlimited time to make a move. And yeah this is an mmo but in mmos that have pvp, your team doesnt hold your hand and do your battles for you, thats not how it works. 

Anyways I agree with Tyrone on a turn delay or even a time delay on each battles, thats what they do in league of legends and its working fine nobody is complaining lol. 

You can just write your friend who are you playing with what move your opponent did? 1 turn delay is not good imo

7 hours ago, OrangeManiac said:

I'm talking about the cases where you just play match by yourself and your friend wants to comment/react to it real time whether it is in Teamspeak, Team chat or whispers. There the 3 turn delay would really take the feel away from that.

I think you're putting the "I'm bothered cuz I can't comment real-time with my friend" in the same weight as "This might prevent someone from ghosting", which imo brings more pros than cons and can have a deeper and much more benificial impact in the way tournaments occur nowadays.