[RISÉ] The Uprising

RISE

1 hour ago, TheNightArch said:

As pageking if you say "whoa" instead of "woah", then you may have trisomy 21. Right @Zymogen ?

Contrary to your hypothesis, I do believe that aneuploides have a higher incidence rate in those conforming to the “woah” bandwagon 

6 minutes ago, Suneet said:

whoa, what has this thread become

Isn't it obvious? It's the beginning of a war. The battle of whoa and woah (woah is correct btw, fight me), where the victor takes what everyone wants; A metaphorical W , and the losers take an L. For hundreds of years the whoa clan had claimed that they were superior to only be shut down by the divine Woah clan. Join me brother and we shall prevail over this monstrosity and show everyone what it means to take a W. *Wiggle*

whoa, int. and n.

Pronunciation:  

Brit. /wəʊ/

U.S. /(h)woʊ/

Forms: 

Forms of whoawoa, etc., with a or o occurring two or more times are also attested.

Frequency (in current use):  

Origin: A variant or alteration of another lexical item. Etymons: ho int.2ho int.1

Etymology: Variant of ho int.2 or ho int.1 Compare woy int.way int.2

A. int.

1.     a. Used as a command to a horse or other draft animal to stop or stand still, or to a person to stop or desist. Cf. woy int.way int.2

b. In collocation with other interjections or adverbs. Sometimes also used as a command         to turn or go in a particular direction. See also whoa ho int. 2.

Different meaning of whoa that is irrelevant 

2.     Used as a general interjection to command attention or express that one is surprised, impressed, interested, etc. Cf. whoa ho int. 3.

Need evidence from literature? 

1891   Californian Oct. 53/1 (song lyrics)    Georgia Rabbit, whoa, whoa!..Stole my lover, whoa! whoa!

1917   T. Seltzer tr. B. Savinkov What never Happened 104   You have been sentenced to death by hanging... Hey, whoa, there! A rope here!

a1969   J. K. Toole Confederacy of Dunces (1980) 170   Whoa! I think you be attractin plenny new peoples in this place.

1988   J. McInerney Story of my Life v. 76   And I'm like whoa, is this a joke, or what?

1990   N.Y. Times 11 Feb. 34   The young clerk looked at me strangely, as I spelled out my name. ‘Whoa. That's a long one.’

1992   I. Banks Crow Road (1993) vi. 140   He made a show of squeezing Rory's boney shoulder. ‘Woa; feels like you could do with a bit of feeding up yourself.’

2015   S. Tromly Trouble is Friend of Mine viii. 59   ‘She disappeared a month ago.’ ‘Whoa, you think it was Schell?’

Reference:

"whoa, int. and n." OED Online, Oxford University Press, June 2018, www.oed.com/view/Entry/228718. Accessed 13 August 2018.

I look forward to seeing your rebuttle, but know I shall employ my years of linguistics education to defend the honour of whoa

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.