change ui to html

GigoloimCabrio

Question

16 answers to this question

On 8/23/2016 at 7:03 PM, GigoloimCabrio said:

since pokemmo is written in java, why not using html instead of xml, there are alot html renderer and its way more flexibel, easier to understand and well known. i know this kind of change takes alot of time, but i would like to hear your opinion

A lot*

Back on topic, I think it's safe to say this will not happen. Like, ever. I'm sure a staff member can give you some technical reasons why. Ask XelaKebert.

8 hours ago, BigShotJoe said:

A lot*

Back on topic, I think it's safe to say this will not happen. Like, ever. I'm sure a staff member can give you some technical reasons why. Ask XelaKebert.

thanks for correcting me. I'm not a native speaker..

well, there's hope, and it don't hurt to ask.

9 hours ago, ragstal said:

Hmm I rly don't understand why u say that what difference would make?

read the first post, they use an interface-style thats created by a single person instead of a widely known, flexibel, easy markup (im not judging if it sounds like this :D)

3 minutes ago, GigoloimCabrio said:

read the first post, they use an interface-style thats created by a single person instead of a widely known, flexibel, easy markup (im not judging if it sounds like this :D)

when u say 1st post in which section exactly u mean? do they devs say something about html? i dont get it....well i dont get it bcuz i think java is absolute necessary unless ur speaking about the forum page then excuse me xD 

Edited by ragstal
Just now, GigoloimCabrio said:

no they didnt, thats why i made a suggestion to use html, and my first post in this thread. i wish they would use it

Um can't make a game run only via html my friend...html is for websites and its not providing anything that would help with the movement (animations-colour effects etc fancy stuff ).

8 minutes ago, ragstal said:

Um can't make a game run only via html my friend...html is for websites and its not providing anything that would help with the movement (animations-colour effects etc fancy stuff ).

you must be new, 
1. html can use animations (simple ones with css, complex ones with canvas+javascript, but yeah not html alone) 2. html is already used for games (for example some unity games -> Rust) 3. i didnt talk about animations i was talking about the ui, nothing fancy, just some tables, images and tabs. and i'm a web developer so no need to explain that to me :P 

maybe interesting for you: https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos_games

Edited by GigoloimCabrio
added a link
12 minutes ago, GigoloimCabrio said:

you must be new, 
1. html can use animations (simple ones with css, complex ones with canvas+javascript, but yeah not html alone) 2. html is already used for games (for example some unity games -> Rust) 3. i didnt talk about animations i was talking about the ui, nothing fancy, just some tables, images and tabs. and i'm a web developer so no need to explain that to me :P 

maybe interesting for you: https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos_games

Libraries, Libraries everywhere, if you want to use cavnas and javascript is not that easy at all, you need dependencies, code interpreters, etc.

The XML maybe is not so popular and adaptable as HTML (+ the other codes you suggest) but is easier to implement to an desktop app.

So thats all, have a nice day mr. web developer

Just now, Greck said:

Libraries, Libraries everywhere, if you want to use cavnas and javascript is not that easy at all, you need dependencies, code interpreters, etc.

The XML maybe is not so popular and adaptable as HTML (+ the other codes you suggest) but is easier to implement to an desktop app.

So thats all, have a nice day mr. web developer

their xml based themes use dependencies as well. and its easier for sure, but everytime they make a little update to their themes they break all community made ones, and lets be honest the xml editor for their themes is a pain in the ass. i made a few desktop apps with html/css/js interface and imo its easier as it sounds.

3 minutes ago, GigoloimCabrio said:

you must be new, 

Oh u mean the interface alone, yea my bad forgot about ur title, i thought the way i read ur 1st comment, i mean the way u said it was like screw java why not just html (and ofc with css and scripts),well html has its own tags while xml custom ones? dunno i guess maybe that's 1 reason to consider the other one would be so, many different ppl have accessibility in the game regardless of their comp architecture and java...cus its cool? xD well its not that lite but it provides higher performance and its more familiar besides its an independent platform regardless software-hardware dependency, less memory etc.

Can't think of any other reason :/

P.S: Yea im not new maybe rusty bcuz of the country im living in but not new, that felt rude :/ .

7 minutes ago, GigoloimCabrio said:

their xml based themes use dependencies as well. and its easier for sure, but everytime they make a little update to their themes they break all community made ones, and lets be honest the xml editor for their themes is a pain in the ass. i made a few desktop apps with html/css/js interface and imo its easier as it sounds.

XML use dependencies, but what i had in mind is the number and the load of the final app. (Lets say XML Dependencies = 1, all web related stuff dependencies = 10).

Anyways if you suggest rebuilding only the UI to HTML (what still is gonna be a hard work), why not rebuild the whole game to PHP, port the Java code to an independent server (no more client java installing problems, and the connections between java and the php outputs its like 10% of the code), then develop that HTML (even responsive for smartphones, pokemmo on mobiles coming??) and let the app run on web browser.

It will take like half of the year to do that, but the result would be amazing.

Edited by Greck
Just now, ragstal said:

Oh u mean the interface alone, yea my bad forgot about ur title, i thought the way i read ur 1st comment, i mean the way u said it was like screw java why not just html (and ofc with css and scripts),well html has its own tags while xml custom ones? dunno i guess maybe that's 1 reason to consider the other one would be so, many different ppl have accessibility in the game regardless of their comp architecture and java...cus its cool? xD well its not that lite but it provides higher performance and its more familiar besides its an independent platform regardless software-hardware dependency, less memory etc.

Can't think of any other reason :/

P.S: Yea im not new maybe rusty bcuz of the country im living in but not new, that felt rude :/ .

haha sorry dude, wasnt meant as an insult :P html allows custom tags, but theres no need, you can simply add a class/id and remove all standard rules from this and add new ones to fit your needs. im not sure about the performance things so i wont comment that. html is also hardware in plattform independent if you use (for example) chromium as renderer 

1 minute ago, GigoloimCabrio said:

haha sorry dude, wasnt meant as an insult :P html allows custom tags, but theres no need, you can simply add a class/id and remove all standard rules from this and add new ones to fit your needs. im not sure about the performance things so i wont comment that. html is also hardware in plattform independent if you use (for example) chromium as renderer 

(Its called webkit not chromium)

afaik webkit is the engine, chromium the renderer/interpreter correct me if im wrong. (engine = renderer)

well php is just serverside so i guess that wont work well or not as well as keep using java (which also works in a browser -> java servlets and stuff)

they are extracting everything to external files (modable ressources) so this is a step in the right direction to do something like this :D i dont expect this game to run in a browser, just saying it's nothing "strange" to have a html ui and it would be nice change for modders

this could also help to add javascript mods (like poke counter) without the need to check for pixel and configuring this on each screen resolution 

Edited by GigoloimCabrio
49 minutes ago, GigoloimCabrio said:

this could also help to add javascript mods (like poke counter) without the need to check for pixel and configuring this on each screen resolution 

I Was thinking the same thing the moment i read that lol, but dunno...the whole process seems pain in the #@$%... :/

Just by thinking about it i feel tired lmao we need additional mods/devs/gm's recruitment :P.

Hmmm so that's what u wanted eh? btw i just read about this pokecounter yesterday night from my tablet, i log out right after while i extracted it, didn't manage to make it work properly tho.

Edited by ragstal
Just now, ragstal said:

I Was thinking the same thing the moment i read that lol, but dunno...the whole process seems pain in the #@$%... :/

Just by thinking about it i feel tired lmao we need additional mods/devs/gm's recruitment :P.

Hmmm so that's what u wanted eh? btw i just read about this pokecounter yesterday night from my tablet, i log out right after while i extracted it can't manage to make it work properly tho.

well, its just a suggestion, if they deny it its totally fine, thats how it works. and yes, it requires work, but if you dont work because its hard you never gonna archieve something :P they did a great job so far so we will see