Question about certain grounds for a ban

BigShotJoe

So I'm going to be moving around a lot soon and a friend of mine told me they lost their first account because it was registered as stolen when they tried to log in from another IP address. Seeing as I'm going to be doing that a lot myself, I was worried the same thing might happen. Should I be worried?

4 minutes ago, BigShotJoe said:

Compromised how? And how easy would it be to have my account unlocked should something like that happen?

I'm not sure you would have your account compromised Joe, not unless you are sharing your password.

Also, you know how making a support request is?

I imagine making other appeals via staff is somewhat similar.

I've moved around the world even and it's never happened to me.

Edited by Hotarubi
4 minutes ago, BigShotJoe said:

And how easy would it be to have my account unlocked should something like that happen?

very easy if you have email + account info.

The hard part is getting the attention of the staff.

I wouldn't worry about it. I'm constantly playing back and forth on my laptop and desktop, and I play in multiple locations across Texas.

Compromised accounts mean that the owner has been careless with their login information or has security issues on the computer he's playing from.

As long as you are the only one who knows your login information and your computer is safe from viruses and spyware, your account should be fine.

It depends on the situation how easily the account can be unlocked should something like that happen.

2 hours ago, BigShotJoe said:

Knowing whether an account has been compromised or not seems difficult. How does that work?

Well Joe I think the staff knowing it's compromised and you knowing it's been compromised are two different things.

6 minutes ago, BigShotJoe said:

I'm just asking how they can tell. What kind of things factor in and all that. Innocent curiosity, nothing more.

maybe failed login attempts in repeat and then a success.

Or possibly monitoring of activity after said event that seems unusual of the players location.

I.e. always login west coast usa.

Failed login x8 login in central china.

Meh.

23 hours ago, BigShotJoe said:

I'm just asking how they can tell. What kind of things factor in and all that. Innocent curiosity, nothing more.

We wont go into details about how we can tell if an account has been compromised but we have resources available at a GM level that tells us. If your account is ever banned for being a compromised account (and trust me when I say that this wont happen as long as you are careful with your account details) you can easily get it returned to you by posting in our Appeals section.

So no, you would not be banned for playing at your friend's house. Now it would be a different story if your friend was banned for compromising/ stealing accounts. If you suspect that this could be the case drop me a PM with your friend's character name and I will look into it.

• Zehkar locked this topic