The Dom mazzetti gang.

KingBowser

35 minutes ago, DoubleJ said:

Ah good, at least we have a reason other than to try and stay teeny tiny. What kind of carbs are you able to handle then?

Teenie is best for me anyway. 

I honestly eat under 20 carbs a day usually. I went a bit nuts on vacation but am headed back in that direction now. My carbs typically come from berries/avocado/10% fat greek yogurt/veggies. It's really not easy, but I have my staples. 

18 minutes ago, Emlee said:

Teenie is best for me anyway. 

I honestly eat under 20 carbs a day usually. I went a bit nuts on vacation but am headed back in that direction now. My carbs typically come from berries/avocado/10% fat greek yogurt/veggies. It's really not easy, but I have my staples. 

Them 20 carbs tho, grams I assume? That's like a sixth of the minimum we should be taking in haha. I'm still scared for you on that diet. It's meant for just pure weight loss and even then I don't like it. 

Where is your fat intake coming from outside of avocados? Daily keto diets typically work best on super low carb (that 20g mark like you're doing), a good chunk of protein, and a shit ton of healthy fats. Excess water intake is a must and it's supposedly good to supplement electrolytes like sodium and potassium too. 

12 minutes ago, DoubleJ said:

Them 20 carbs tho, grams I assume? That's like a sixth of the minimum we should be taking in haha. I'm still scared for you on that diet. It's meant for just pure weight loss and even then I don't like it. 

Where is your fat intake coming from outside of avocados? Daily keto diets typically work best on super low carb (that 20g mark like you're doing), a good chunk of protein, and a shit ton of healthy fats. Excess water intake is a must and it's supposedly good to supplement electrolytes like sodium and potassium too. 

It's not an easy diet and it is a concern for anyone for sure. 

I've always drank a ton of water (plus tea) so that hasn't changed - way more water than a normal person hahaha. I eat a lot of fatty meats (nothing lean for me) and also some high in sodium+fatty meats like coppa, speck, prosciutto, etc. The 10% fat greek yogurt does wonders. I eat a ton of high high high fat old cheese (this is a staple I forgot to mention). Eggs are another staple - obviously. TONS of butter. I was doing the coconut + grass fed butter in my coffee but haven't gotten back into it again yet. So yeah, super low carb, moderate protein, and high fat is my life. I'm not afraid of fats and actively look for them. 

I have blood work being done again soon so we'll see where things are - coincidently I have it done fairly frequently (at least compared to the average person). 

I've done a ton of research on this and know fairly well how my body responds to it. The alternative is absolutely terrible for me regardless so I've had to make it work. It's not exactly easy to build muscle on though obviously. 

Edited by Emlee
Just now, DoubleJ said:

ewwww bulletproof coffee too?! emloo scares me 

EDIT: You doing it right tho, so I guess if you're still alive =)

Bulletproof coffee is delicious! I just get lazy with making coffee in the a.m. + I was drinking iced coffee with whipping cream instead. Tea is so much quicker than coffee. 

9 minutes ago, Emlee said:

Bulletproof coffee is delicious! I just get lazy with making coffee in the a.m. + I was drinking iced coffee with whipping cream instead. Tea is so much quicker than coffee. 

My biochem professor was adamant against drinking the stuff, went all sciency on us. Then I realized my girlfriend at the time had been drinking the stuff and I was like oh noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

2 minutes ago, DoubleJ said:

My biochem professor was adamant against drinking the stuff, went all sciency on us. Then I realized my girlfriend at the time had been drinking the stuff and I was like oh noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

What didn't he like about it? It's definitely not a meal replacement for everyday - I think some people treat it that way. 

10 minutes ago, Emlee said:

What didn't he like about it? It's definitely not a meal replacement for everyday - I think some people treat it that way. 

He, like me, was very anti-ketogenic diets =)

He also saw the reports that bulletproof coffee was leading to elevated cholesterol, especially the bad LDL. So he was like "why the f would you want to do that to yourself?"

He was an impressively fit chap too, so I really enjoyed hearing what he had to say from the biochemical side of his own research into health junk. 

12 hours ago, DoubleJ said:

He, like me, was very anti-ketogenic diets =)

He also saw the reports that bulletproof coffee was leading to elevated cholesterol, especially the bad LDL. So he was like "why the f would you want to do that to yourself?"

He was an impressively fit chap too, so I really enjoyed hearing what he had to say from the biochemical side of his own research into health junk. 

What's your take on keto? It's a super controversial topic, the evidence is really back and forth. 

7 hours ago, Emlee said:

What's your take on keto? It's a super controversial topic, the evidence is really back and forth. 

From limited education on true nutrition, it honestly just doesn't seem healthy. When you put your body into a state of starvation, which ketogenesis is, I just don't believe it's good as a long term option. Considering it's an incredible fat burner, it doesn't sound terrible as a weight loss option if used to hit a certain weight and then to maintain with a balanced diet. 

In the end, I'm sure you know far more about this than I do and if you're being followed along with blood work to ensure you aren't damaging anything then why the heck not. Just seems like a pain in the butt and a scary one at that. 

6 hours ago, DoubleJ said:

From limited education on true nutrition, it honestly just doesn't seem healthy. When you put your body into a state of starvation, which ketogenesis is, I just don't believe it's good as a long term option. Considering it's an incredible fat burner, it doesn't sound terrible as a weight loss option if used to hit a certain weight and then to maintain with a balanced diet. 

In the end, I'm sure you know far more about this than I do and if you're being followed along with blood work to ensure you aren't damaging anything then why the heck not. Just seems like a pain in the butt and a scary one at that. 

It is definitely a pain in the butt! It's easy to maintain weight on if you grab some extra fat and whatnot (heck some extra high fat cheese will get you there in no time), but it's difficult to find all of your nutrients for sure. I usually take vitamin C on it at least. It's much much much easier to get all your nutrients off of keto. I too don't recommend it for long term unless it improves your quality of life to be off carbs and you're committed to learning about nutrition. It's incredibly easy to come out of keto as well... and it's not that great for social eating (it basically kills social eating all together). 

Like a lot of things I am not 100% for or against it, just depends on the situation! 

5 hours ago, Bestfriends said:

I am assuming this thread is also about health? If so, I would recommend these bottles of joy...

41Si9gaOEoL.jpg

They keep me sharp for college and for PokeMMO!

No time for breakfast?

Gym related: 

Favourite time to go?

I've been pretty set on 5-5:30am right now so I go before I start my day. I used to go in the middle of the day when I was leaving my lab space to go back home and do work - but now my lab space is elsewhere and I typically start work there from 7-8am and leave anywhere between 4-5:30. My schedule is flexible but this is the normal for me. By supper time I have no interest in traveling to the gym so the morning is best for me! 

I haven't been keeping up with yoga during the summer but I aim for Wednesday and Friday at lunch (should be back to it tomorrow). :) 

Yoga is a fantastic investment and I recommend it to anyone/everyone. 

6 hours ago, Kizhaz said:

I'm ignorant to anything health related, mind explaining exactly what a keto diet consist of?

It's not ignorant really!

Off the top of my head/very simplified: 

• Your body consumes carbs for energy by default 
  • When there are more calories from carbs than needed for energy they're converted into fat storage (gaining weight) 
  • When you use up more energy than is provided through ingesting calories via carbs your fat stores are broken down into energy and used up ("burning fat")
  • --> The above is accomplished by producing ketones, you're in "ketosis", hence the name keto diet. Not to be confused with ketoacidosis, which is when you're body can't regulate the production of ketones - this can be fatal, and is not caused by a health conscious keto diet.  
  • If you keep your ingestion of carbs low enough to not take yourself out of keto then you'll continually produce ketones and target fat stores as your main source of energy (along with calories from fats and proteins ingested)
  • Essentially you're just skipping the carb breakdown pathway 

It's extremely easy to lose weight on a low carb, moderate protein, high fat diet... but that doesn't mean you should ignore calories completely, especially if you're eating high calorie dairy. It's hard to get into keto and people sometimes experience "keto flu" where they're nauseous, grumpy, fatigued, etc. Some people take 24 hours to get into keto, some people take 72+. A lot of people feel much more "clear headed", energetic, motivated, and happy on a keto diet once past the "flu" stage. I don't experience flu like symptoms but I definitely crave carbs when going back into keto. 

The first time I heard of keto was when a roommate of mine told me he used it to go from being an American football player to a rugby player. The results can be drastic. 

Edited by Emlee
spelling
  • 3 weeks later...

This thread is dead. DoubleJ gonna have to use Revive. 

Currently sitting at a bulky 190lbs and looking to hit that Winter cut. My roommate is a diehard Crossfitter (ew, I know), but it's hard telling him "no, I don't want to crossfit with you" day in and day out. So, I'm gonna start going with him. RIP my shoulders. RIP my knees. But hellooooooooooooooo stamina. 

Goals: 180lbs by mid-November. 

Gotta get my diet right though (been saying that for years). 

JJ Challenge? 100 push ups a day. Go get it young bloods. 

4 hours ago, Tyrone said:

Good luck JJ

With 100 push ups a day, aren't you going to overdevelop your chest in comparison to the rest?

I'm gonna train to get up to two plates on deadlift and squat, been neglecting those lifts for ages.

Like Dom, I too skip leg day too often.

Surprisingly, a simple push up can work not only your pecs, but also your triceps and core (think plank position). It isn't a bad idea just to get the ball rolling for someone. 

Edit: add the deltoid and serratus to that mix as well

Edited by DoubleJ

Crossfit Day Two: when you with a guy who has been doing this for a year and a half and another guy that is a 6x Iron Man who competed at the iron man national championships you know you're going to get worked.

Did the standard workout and then added a second one cuz wynaut.