Larger Sprite in Pokemon Summary

Moetal

Question

What it looks like in game currently:

image.jpg

What it should look like (quick rough edit):

image.jpg

It should be pretty self explanatory. I, for one, don't have as good eyesight as I used to, and I am certain I am not the only one who have a hard time looking at the sprites. You have all those spaces, why not fill it? Have the summary pull the 64x64 pixels sprite and display it as 2X scale nearest neighbor 128x128 pixels. Make it happen please.

Edited by Moetal

15 answers to this question

3 hours ago, Darkshade said:

The reason we didn't do this is because for larger species, it overlaps the window.

At scales lower than 1:1 resizes, the sprites become distorted and look really bad.

As u can clearly see in his pictures, the above one looks far more "hd" and the bottom one is more pixelated

1 hour ago, GeneralVenican said:

As u can clearly see in his pictures, the above one looks far more "hd" and the bottom one is more pixelated

Yes, that's not really what I was referring to.

At twice the original size, whilst it does look 'more' pixelated it still looks 'clear'.

Larger species at twice the original size (which is the first step upwards from 1x1) however do not fit in the summary frame.

Anything between 1x1 and 2x2 becomes distorted and not acceptable to display.

2 hours ago, Darkshade said:

Yes, that's not really what I was referring to.

At twice the original size, whilst it does look 'more' pixelated it still looks 'clear'.

Larger species at twice the original size (which is the first step upwards from 1x1) however do not fit in the summary frame.

Anything between 1x1 and 2x2 becomes distorted and not acceptable to display.

I assume it's not possible to use a 1.5x1.5 scale, but I don't know why. Could you explain?

7 hours ago, Darkshade said:

The reason we didn't do this is because for larger species, it overlaps the window.

What on earth are you talking about? A sprite is 64x64 max - as you can see above, my moemon Jolteon is 64x64 in the first image. The sprite is literally 64 pixels tall with no transparency above or below. When I doubled the size in nearest neighbor to 128x128, the below picture is what you see. Is it overlapping with the window? No. Is it getting close to overlapping with the window? Again, no. You CAN fit a 128x128 without overlapping anything, and if anything, I'm pretty sure people rather have your sprite overlap slightly than deal with these ant-size sprites.

Edited by Moetal
4 minutes ago, Moetal said:

What on earth are you talking about? A sprite is 64x64 max

Only if you're using a GBA ROM, they are larger when pulling sprites from HeartGold or SoulSilver.

24 minutes ago, BigShotJoe said:

I assume it's not possible to use a 1.5x1.5 scale, but I don't know why. Could you explain?

Sure, it doesn't scale correctly.

I've put together a quick example using the first frame of the base character sprite:

Examplescale.png

Just now, Darkshade said:

Only if you're using a GBA ROM, they are larger when pulling sprites from HeartGold or SoulSilver.

And HG/SS isn't the main rom, is it? Look, don't give me the "it won't fit in the frame" excuse - you and I both know we can enlarge the frame by some pixels if we need to make it fit. 

1 minute ago, Moetal said:

And HG/SS isn't the main rom, is it?

No, but it is a ROM that we officially support and it was deemed that consistency was the better option.

8 minutes ago, Moetal said:

we can enlarge the frame by some pixels if we need to make it fit. 

We could indeed extend the summary window to make larger sprites fit, but that's a fair amount more effort than just changing the ratio at which the species sprite is rendered.

What I was attempting to do was explain why we had decided against displaying the sprites at a 2x ratio and why we are unable to do this with the current rendition of the summary window.

8 minutes ago, Moetal said:

Look, don't give me the "it won't fit in the frame" excuse

Suggesting a solution to the above doesn't require an attitude.

What I was attempting to do was explain why we had decided against displaying the sprites at a 2x ratio and why we are unable to do this with the current rendition of the summary window.

The answer is "because Kyu was lazy and didn't want to spend 30m fixing the texture".

NDS left 4, GBA right 4. Will be in next update. This probably breaks some Mods, so we also added arbitrary scaling for sprite sizes in Mods.

evbwoky.png