Fake region similar to johto with its pokes but redesigned entirely to avoid copyright issues: Nohto

Xatu

Question

So Im sure many of us are aware of the custom mapping engine used by the devs to create the possible dungeons we have been promised so long ago. 

Well this engine could theoretically be used to create a new region.  I have already suggested that we make Orre a thing, as Orre is connected to Johto and you actually get the Johto starters there.  The cherry on the cake with Orre is that its a spinoff non-canon region and that nintendo actually never cared to trademark it.  On top of this there are already 2d projects which recreate Orre using hacks on the GBA.  I have contacted one of the creators and asked if we could use his 2d sprite work and he gave us the green light. 

But enough about Orre.  This thread isnt about that its about a new, fake region.  Lets call it Nohto as an homage to that 1 update.  Nohto would give the devs free range in designing a story and region that actually fits a mmo setting.  We're talking large hub cities, large pathways.  Player real estate. 

New places to place dungeons that make sense.  New islands to explore.  We could also have the entire region designed so that there are no water barriors anywhere.  And have the routes be much much more expansive.  This would give the region a more open world feeling.   And many many more possible ideas.  I would be ok with no storyline and differently designed league as well.  Maybe one where instead of fighting the gym leaders real life players take the roles of the gym leaders based on leaderboards and contests.  The AI is good enough to just port the players' teams at this point.  The battles could also scale to 50 and be legitimately challenging making the badges actually sort of mean something.  Anyway im sure you guys could add to this idea alot.  Thanks for reading!

24 answers to this question

8 minutes ago, Argorok2017 said:

The amount of coding that would take would be absolutely insane. Better to think small instead of these large ideas that will probably never happen

Well ye coding is a thing indeed - but actually a the biggest part is level design - and there is nothing worse than level design that has no variety or meaning behind it :/ 

In general making a new region would require ALOT of work - and to be honest i dont think its ever goin to happen :P 

Lets just be happy about finally having Milotic ;D

Why be so quick to shoot it down?  Once the games are fully ported the devs are going to need to have new stuff to need to work on because thats the nature of mmorpgs.  They are always evolving.  Also I didnt make this thread to have people just be like "lol kewl idea but itll never happen huurrrpp" I actually wanted you guys to add to the idea.  So far all that has been said from you two was essentially the same exact thing, which in turn adds absolutely no content to the thread.

I understand what you meen xatu by creating new région the game will ne more will ne more fun and new pokémons will be implemented with new fonctions but this MMORPG is a remake of old games ans dvs  are dooing a good work to make this game more attractive because basicaly this games can't be playble online but is a goof idea :) i wish that dvs could do what you say.

3 minutes ago, Viking said:

idk how many devs are able to code this game but making an entire region needs like 7-8 ppl to maybe make it in 1 year, you don't realise the amount of work

EXACTLY. Xatu you have no clue what it takes to actually code and design everything so it is cohesive and works well. With the current staff it is just too much work to handle to get this done. This isn't just some big game company who can do this in minimal time.

EDIT: Also, @hannahtaylor said to stop ignoring her msgs

Edited by Argorok2017
Cause I can
Just now, Argorok2017 said:

EXACTLY. Xatu you have no clue what it takes to actually code and design everything so it is cohesive and works well. With the current staff it is just too much work to handle to get this done. This isn't just some big game company who can do this in minimal time.

And yet again you are adding no content to the thread whatsoever and just shooting down the idea, again.  You already stated your opinion that you think it wouldnt work do you really need to continue to say it again??

Just now, Xatu said:

And yet again you are adding no content to the thread whatsoever and just shooting down the idea, again.  You already stated your opinion that you think it wouldnt work do you really need to continue to say it again??

Yes because yet again you posted another suggestion that is too big for the devs to handle. When are you going to learn???

Yes because yet again you posted another suggestion that is too big for the devs to handle. When are you going to learn???

Lol so i should stop being creative and not use my imagination to envision a better mmo?  Yeah ok ill stop thinking then because you said so.  Also I know very well how much work this would take and i even suggested that it have no storyline.  I have worked on mmo's in the past in fact i led my own project.  It didnt take a year to map the first few areas ill tell you that.

2 minutes ago, Xatu said:

Lol so i should stop being creative and not use my imagination to envision a better mmo?  Yeah ok ill stop thinking then because you said so.  Also I know very well how much work this would take and i even suggested that it have no storyline.  I have worked on mmo's in the past in fact i led my own project.  It didnt take a year to map the first few areas ill tell you that.

Yet you're here instead of leading your own project, shows how successful that "project" really was. Now, I before you go being an asshole actually look at what I said. Nowhere in my comment did I say to stop using your imagination. Maybe instead of thinking of large scale changes thinking of small scale changes that will improve MMO one step at a time. Now have a nice day because this won't happen :)

Yet you're here instead of leading your own project, shows how successful that "project" really was. Now, I before you go being an asshole actually look at what I said. Nowhere in my comment did I say to stop using your imagination. Maybe instead of thinking of large scale changes thinking of small scale changes that will improve MMO one step at a time. Now have a nice day because this won't happen :)

Wtf is wrong with you, you are clearly being a uguu for no reason.  And my project was actually pretty legit but you wouldnt know.  It was an Earthbound mmorpg. 

I can think of large scale things all i want, who are you to dictate what i think or say?  I dont see you adding any suggestions and you have literally added nothing to my idea other than negativity.

7 minutes ago, Xatu said:

Wtf is wrong with you, you are clearly being a uguu for no reason.  And my project was actually pretty legit but you wouldnt know.  It was an Earthbound mmorpg. 

I can think of large scale things all i want, who are you to dictate what i think or say?  I dont see you adding any suggestions and you have literally added nothing to my idea other than negativity.

I have nothing to add to this because there is nothing to add to this. It's too big of a project for the current staff of MMO to worry about along with the current patches they have to keep sending out to make comp players happy (even PvE players with the recent Contest patch). Another reason this wouldnt happen anytime soon is because they have already stated that they will not start on anything new until Hoenn is finished, which BF isn't completely finished yet.

I doubt anyone here would've heard of your Earthbound mmorpg anyways. But by suggesting these large scale changes you are actually doing nothing for the community itself because these ideas will not happen. Even asking for slight changes that barely change the game are more productive and willing to happen than your ideas.

Edited by Argorok2017
Cause I can
1 minute ago, Argorok2017 said:

I have nothing to add to this because there is nothing to add to this. It's too big of a project for the current staff of MMO to worry about along with the current patches they have to keep sending out to make comp players happy. Another reason this wouldnt happen anytime soon is because they have already stated that they will not start on anything new until Hoenn is finished, which BF isn't completely finished yet.

I doubt anyone here would've heard of your Earthbound mmorpg anyways. But by suggesting these large scale changes you are actually doing nothing for the community itself because these ideas will not happen. Even asking for slight changes that barely change the game are more productive and willing to happen than your ideas.

That doesnt mean we cant build ideas up for the future.  All you are doing to opposing the very idea of change which makes it so clear that you would never want new content to be added in the firstplace.  There is nothing wrong with brainstorming new interesting ideas.  Now please leave the thread if all you are going to do is say "lol itll never happen itll never happen" I GET IT.

2 minutes ago, Xatu said:

That doesnt mean we cant build ideas up for the future.  All you are doing to opposing the very idea of change which makes it so clear that you would never want new content to be added in the firstplace.  There is nothing wrong with brainstorming new interesting ideas.  Now please leave the thread if all you are going to do is say "lol itll never happen itll never happen" I GET IT.

You really don't read do you? I would love change, but it will not happen in large doses. Change in this game comes in small doses and if you haven't realized that by now then something is wrong. Maybe instead of brainstorming these large ideas you can think of how to break them into smaller ones so that way it gives the admins more incentive to work on them :)

It is possible for them to make a custom region. We have seen this with things like the Christmas event so a custom region at some point isn't out of the question. And i've heard that staff have been planning on it.

But regardless of this them deciding on making a region is a big thing and they would decide on all of the details amongst themselves when planning it. Somehow I highly doubt they will see your post and suddenly think to themselves "hey this is a great idea lets make this."

5 minutes ago, Rendiz said:

It is possible for them to make a custom region. We have seen this with things like the Christmas event so a custom region at some point isn't out of the question. And i've heard that staff have been planning on it.

But regardless of this them deciding on making a region is a big thing and they would decide on all of the details amongst themselves when planning it. Somehow I highly doubt they will see your post and suddenly think to themselves "hey this is a great idea lets make this."

Yeah but in my post i suggested a few other specific traits of a new region that i find to be very important.  They are:

1.  Its a fake johto as to tie in with the johto starters

2.  Open world elements, no barriors on water passages, really open and connecting routes.  Bigger pathways and hub cities.

3.  Player real estate where i link to my previous thread.

4.  New places to place dungeons that make sense

5.  instead of fighting the gym leaders real life players take the roles of the gym leaders based on leaderboards and contests

As you can see my idea wasnt simply "Lets amke a new rejunnn!!1!"

The devs might actually see this and help them to brainstorm more ideas to make the game actually feel more like a mmorpg.

Edited by Xatu
3 minutes ago, Xatu said:

Yeah but in my post i suggested a few other specific traits of a new region that i find to be very important.  They are:

1.  Its a fake johto as to tie in with the johto starters

2.  Open world elements, no barriors on water passages, really open and connecting routes.  Bigger pathways and hub cities.

3.  Player real estate where i link to my previous thread.

4.  New places to place dungeons that make sense

5.  instead of fighting the gym leaders real life players take the roles of the gym leaders based on leaderboards and contests

As you can see my idea wasnt simply "Lets amke a new rejunnn!!1!"

The devs might actually see this and help them to brainstorm more ideas to make the game actually feel more like a mmorpg.

1.) It would be easier to implement the other option already spoken about for Johto starters in previous suggestion threads.

2.) Ok that's fine, but again creating another region is a daunting task.

3.) I still think team owned housing would be a simpler way of doing this. Personal housing would be harder because there would have to be sooo many houses. Team housing I could see though.

4.) They already had plans on what to do with dungeons, it doesn't require a new region to implement them.

5.) The issue with this is the fact that the person must be able to stay online or else the person is unable to get the badge they need. Also a new region means startover with pokemon and if you give the gym to some person they could have all lvl 100s for the first gym. Not really something PvE players would be looking for.

I like the 2nd idea, but again as I said it's a daunting task that doesn't have enough people to work on.

23 minutes ago, Rendiz said:

well this event was composed of what? 3 - 4 places? and 4-5 NPCs ? It was just a basicaly grinding area, not composed of a true storyline and such things.

Also i don't know how much money donators are giving to the game per month, but i doubt it's enough to pay a salary for 3-4 ppl + servers. i'm not sure that devs are "working" for POKEMMO, so they havent 35hours per week to spent by coding. May be i'm wrong

@Desu @Kyu @Darkshade i guess you can confirm that or not and clear that point about the possibility of a new region

i think it'll just be "easier" and most beneficial for the game to switch the client to support DS roms, so DPP and HGSS games, that way you can avoid a lot of copyrights issues and really push forward the game, since i don't belive it'll be possible to keep implementing items, move, abilities etc with other names. The real problem at hand will be the possibility of keeping the part of game we have right now how it is, since i don't know how it's coded the client and if there is a possibility of hybrid platforms rom support. 

1 hour ago, Argorok2017 said:

1.) It would be easier to implement the other option already spoken about for Johto starters in previous suggestion threads.

2.) Ok that's fine, but again creating another region is a daunting task.

3.) I still think team owned housing would be a simpler way of doing this. Personal housing would be harder because there would have to be sooo many houses. Team housing I could see though.

4.) They already had plans on what to do with dungeons, it doesn't require a new region to implement them.

5.) The issue with this is the fact that the person must be able to stay online or else the person is unable to get the badge they need. Also a new region means startover with pokemon and if you give the gym to some person they could have all lvl 100s for the first gym. Not really something PvE players would be looking for.

I like the 2nd idea, but again as I said it's a daunting task that doesn't have enough people to work on.

1.  Which is just spawn them somewhere or give them to you after you complete the dex?  They could have done that long ago so they are clearly holding out for something.

2.  Mapping is actually pretty easy, and once the games are fully ported the devs are gonna need new stuff to work on. 

3.  There is plenty of possible player housing all around kanto/hoenn/nohto/orre think of all the unsued buildings in saffron city for example?  Those could be like apartments.  There are tons of useless buildings all over the game with npcs that literally do nothing but say 1 string of text.

4.  Except there are few canon parts of the game to even use for the dungeons. 

5.  If you read my opening post i explained it in more detail but clearly you didnt even read the OP.  "Maybe one where instead of fighting the gym leaders real life players take the roles of the gym leaders based on leaderboards and contests.  The AI is good enough to just port the players' teams at this point.  The battles could also scale to 50 and be legitimately challenging making the badges actually sort of mean something" tl;dr just the players team are ported and they are played by AI.

It doesnt matter if its a daunting task, this thread is simply to brainstorm and bring new ideas to the table.  We're in the planning phase right now.  It could take years to finish but players arent going to stay unless they have new stuff to look for.

3 hours ago, Argorok2017 said:

I have nothing to add to this because there is nothing to add to this. It's too big of a project for the current staff of MMO to worry about along with the current patches they have to keep sending out to make comp players happy (even PvE players with the recent Contest patch). Another reason this wouldnt happen anytime soon is because they have already stated that they will not start on anything new until Hoenn is finished, which BF isn't completely finished yet.

Maybe his ideas will actually be implemented.

Even if it's a lot of work doesn't mean it cannot be implemented.We cannot be stuck in these regions forever.

Total support

I'm going to completely ignore everything above this post because it's a lot of reading, so forgive me if I've repeated things already said.

Before they added Hoenn to the game, the original plan was for them to build a custom region. Supposedly based around the orange islands. I'm not sure if that's still the plan or what, but basically yeah, building a new region from scratch was already the idea.

"NOhto" huh? Almost like you know what I'm going to say.

So, here's the thing about Johto: It kinda sucks, in terms of content. The content you're proposing, anyway. 8 badges and an Elite 4 is not much in the grand scheme of things, and it amuses most people for 2-3 days tops. Storyline runs are never particularly challenging, you already have all the species of Johto thanks to the Sevii Islands (except Starters), and it wouldn't facilitate any interesting secondary gameplay types like Contests (unless you count Apricorns but I sure as hell don't).

In terms of effort:reward, there's a far higher return on challenging, repeatable, end-game content for us and you. Keeping people engaged, and transitioning between "Complete the storyline, Build their team, Beat the hard stuff" is my focus for the foreseeable future.

So, no, we're not going to spend 6 months creating a bastardized region to give out new Starters. And no, Hoenn won't be our last region either. But for now we're building on what we have, instead of trying to make PokeMMO "as wide as an ocean, and as deep as a puddle".