Let Us See Another Player's Pokemons Level Before We Send a Duel Request!

PotentialLegend

Question

The main problem with Dueling is that it's very hard to find a suitable player to duel since you have no way of seeing how strong someone is before you challenge them! This is a huge problem since it means that when I challenge someone I have no idea if I'm challenging someone much weaker or stronger than me so most of the time I get rejected. I also often get duel requests from other players who have no idea how much weaker or stronger I am from them. 

This also makes absolutely no sense since the person you challenge can see your Pokemon's average level and highest level so why can't we see that before we challenge someone? It would make finding fair fights a million times easier and is a huge problem that prevents people from Dueling. Plus since it's already coded into the game to appear upon receiving a duel request it should be very easy to do.

Just make it so that when you click "Duel" after clicking on another player it gives you a pop up showing the same window the person being challenged sees such as the challenger's average level, strongest Pokemon level etc. so you can check if they're not too strong or weak before you send them the challenge.

14 answers to this question

I have to agree with these other guys. The only time your opponent's Pokemon levels can vary is when you are challenging them to a Normal Mode battle. If you are looking for someone to have a Normal Mode battle with around your level, I suggest going to places in the game where a player is likely to have Pokemon of a similar level (like going to the 8th gym looking for a battle around 40-45, for example). If you are challenging players in Vermilion City to Normal Mode battles, they will often reject you because they are competitive players looking for competitive, Tournament Mode battles. I mean no offense when I say this, but challenging someone to a Normal Mode battle usually means you're a noob. Most competitive players don't even bother battling noobs.

Tl;dr
Don't challenge competitive players to Normal Mode battles.

16 hours ago, Lazaro23 said:

Have you tried using Tournament-mode ? it scales all the pokemons to level 50, that way you don't have to worry about your opponents pokemons level.

So basically I have to wait until I'm over level 50 before I do any PvP? Where's the fun in that???

15 hours ago, Rigamorty said:

have you considered trying to communicate with the other people before spamming them with duel requests?

Yes I have and most of the time people will ignore you or not even see the message. Why should I have to rely on chat when it should simply tell you to save time? And I don't spam people with duel requests because that's how you get into fights with level 100s like I have several times while trying to find a legit fair match. You can't rely on the other players to be fair the community isn't that perfect. Not to mention I often get spammed duel requests much higher level than me and completely ignore me when I tell them they're too strong. So clearly chat is not a solution...

7 hours ago, BigShotJoe said:

I have to agree with these other guys. The only time your opponent's Pokemon levels can vary is when you are challenging them to a Normal Mode battle. If you are looking for someone to have a Normal Mode battle with around your level, I suggest going to places in the game where a player is likely to have Pokemon of a similar level (like going to the 8th gym looking for a battle around 40-45, for example). If you are challenging players in Vermilion City to Normal Mode battles, they will often reject you because they are competitive players looking for competitive, Tournament Mode battles. I mean no offense when I say this, but challenging someone to a Normal Mode battle usually means you're a noob. Most competitive players don't even bother battling noobs.

Tl;dr
Don't challenge competitive players to Normal Mode battles.

I do exactly that though and still barely ever find players close to my level! I don't challenge people by the 8th gym or Vermilion city.

The whole point of playing a Pokemon MMO is so you can interact with and battle other players! I seriously don't understand why you're all defending the current system so much when in reality that one minor change would make a HUGE improvement! People would actually start dueling each other for fun again instead of only looking for tournament matches with Pokemon over level 50! And being told we have to beat the story before we do any PvP is just ridiculous! Why not remove the duel option completely if that's the case? 

Edited by PotentialLegend
43 minutes ago, PotentialLegend said:

So basically I have to wait until I'm over level 50 before I do any PvP? Where's the fun in that??? Funny, I don't recall him saying anything like that.

The whole point of playing a Pokemon MMO is so you can interact with and battle other players! I seriously don't understand why you're all defending the current system so much when in reality that one minor change would make a HUGE improvement! "so you can interact with" People would actually start dueling each other for fun again instead of only looking for tournament matches with Pokemon over level 50! Vermilion City, channel 1 And being told we have to beat the story before we do any PvP is just ridiculous! You don't have to beat the story to do PvP, it's just highly recommended Why not remove the duel option completely if that's the case? Now you're suggesting removal of duels completely? I thought you wanted them.

51 minutes ago, PotentialLegend said:

Why should I have to rely on chat when it should simply tell you to save time?

1. Chat already exists
  2. Questions also exist, ask them

"B-but they ignored me." Don't send a challenge then, they're clearly not up for a battle.

6 hours ago, notmudkip0 said:

1. Chat already exists
  2. Questions also exist, ask them

"B-but they ignored me." Don't send a challenge then, they're clearly not up for a battle.

I thought the whole point of this section was to make suggestions to help improve the game? I'm not making a complaint and trying to find a work around, I'm trying to help the developers make it a better game!

Why is there so much negativity to this suggestion? What cons or reasons are there not to have something like this in the game? It does nothing but save people time.

Plus using chat is actually not a solution since it's only good for players who speak the same language as you! There are a lot of non-english speaking players. How am I supposed to ask them for duels if they can't understand me? And what about players who don't speak English or one of the other common languages? They'd never be able to find duels except with very limited groups of people. 

And as I've already mentioned the code to make the window appear showing those stats is already in the game, so I assume it should be as simple as copy and pasting the code to make the same information appear upon sending a request.

Edited by PotentialLegend
2 minutes ago, PotentialLegend said:

Why is there so much negativity to this suggestion? What cons or reasons are there not to have something like this in the game? It does nothing but save people time. Adding this in would mean more work for devs on something that's hardly an issue, and again, chat exists.

4 minutes ago, PotentialLegend said:

Plus using chat is actually not a solution since it's only good for players who speak the same language as you! There are a lot of non-english speaking players. How am I supposed to ask them for duels if they can't understand me? https://translate.google.com

7 minutes ago, PotentialLegend said:

so I assume it should be as simple as copy and pasting the code to make the same information appear upon sending a request. Copy/paste of the same code will just give you, surprise, the same code. Also, if info of the other player showed up as the request was being processed, you'd be screwed anyway.

More work for the devs is not really a valid argument in any suggestion, anything the devs do is more work for the devs so pretty much every suggestion ever.

Chat is only so reliable, players can lie about what level pokemon they have.  The suggestion itself is not a bad one.

2 minutes ago, Munya said:

More work for the devs is not really a valid argument in any suggestion, anything the devs do is more work for the devs so pretty much every suggestion ever.

Chat is only so reliable, players can lie about what level pokemon they have.  The suggestion itself is not a bad one.

Thank you for responding! This is exactly why notmudkip0's arguments made no sense to me. Thanks for taking it into consideration.

2 minutes ago, Munya said:

Chat is only so reliable, players can lie about what level pokemon they have.

See

On 7/24/2016 at 3:51 AM, Lazaro23 said:

Have you tried using Tournament-mode ? it scales all the pokemons to level 50, that way you don't have to worry about your opponents pokemons level.

3 minutes ago, Munya said:

But is this idea, of all the ones on this forum, really needed that much? Just because some new player who complained about losing random battles, we have to change how things are currently? Absurd shit imo

2 minutes ago, notmudkip0 said:

See

But is this idea, of all the ones on this forum, really needed that much? Just because some new player who complained about losing random battles, we have to change how things are currently? Absurd shit imo

Tournament mode does not scale up to 50 though, it doesn't help people who are wanting to duel other people doing the story that are at similar parts in the story as they are, but accidentally challenge somebody who has long finished the story.  Tournament mode is not a solution for everything either.

If its needed much is not for you or I to decide in this case, you can argue for or against it but again, devs time shouldn't really be one of the arguments in this case. Especially since the technology already exists one way, it might not even be difficult for them to make it work the other, thats for them to decide.

2 minutes ago, notmudkip0 said:

And where in my post did I complain about losing battles? I said I've gotten myself into fights with level 100's a couple times, I'm not complaining about losing.

3 minutes ago, Munya said:

Tournament mode does not scale up to 50 though, it doesn't help people who are wanting to duel other people doing the story that are at similar parts in the story as they are, but accidentally challenge somebody who has long finished the story.  Tournament mode is not a solution for everything either.

Tournament mode can still give you a fighting chance in some cases, and it prevents you from having to go clear back to a pokemon centre if you lose.

12 minutes ago, PotentialLegend said:

And where in my post did I complain about losing battles? I said I've gotten myself into fights with level 100's a couple times, I'm not complaining about losing.

That's the tone I got from your posts.