I Looked Into The Whole Shiny Thing [Message To The Devs]

1 minute ago, ShinyFord said:

Can't we even agree that shiny rate is random and we complain because RNG mindscrew us. We can't do anything about RNG rather than praying for it.

You expect to get a shiny in 100k encounters, yet no shiny after that. It's cause RNG has noped your hope.

A certain ex Game Master caused a fuzz back in late 2013 where it was unveiled in hidden change logs that the Shiny Rates were being constantly changed. Once a few permabans were thrown, the information denied and the case closed, everyone returned to their lives as if nothing happened. I think it's pretty obvious why we all know there is something fishy going on.

@LegionaireDo I look like Im joking? All I do in PokeMMO is join official tournaments, breed a bit and spend several hours every day shiny hunting.

Still, I can say shinies are not important, they dont add anything to the gameplay besides that rewarding sence of getting one. Of course shinies are a pillar of my pokemon world, but that doesnt give me the rights to cry coz I cant find the shiny Im looking for

Just now, Zigh said:

@LegionaireDo I look like Im joking? All I do in PokeMMO is join official tournaments, breed a bit and spend several hours every day shiny hunting.

Still, I can say shinies are not important, they dont add anything to the gameplay besides that rewarding sence of getting one. Of course shinies are a pillar of my pokemon world, but that doesnt give me the rights to cry coz I cant find the shiny Im looking for

You clearly do not understand the effect ''Shinies'' have on the MMO economy

2 minutes ago, Legionaire said:

You clearly do not understand the effect ''Shinies'' have on the MMO economy

I do, and only a few ones make profit from them, like a 1% of the community

41 minutes ago, Desu said:

Shinies and you: An informative PSA

While there's nothing to say that hasn't already been said in some form or another, here's a few important facts that keep being distorted.

• Aside from Donator Status, there are no significant ways in which players can boost their shiny rates.
  • New players do not have a better chance than older.
  • Most importantly RNG is RNG, there is no guarantee to get a shiny in 100,000,000,000 encounters. Each encounter is a new RNG roll, independent of any previous.
  • Statistical outliers will exist in both extremes.
  • For every new player who gets a shiny, many thousand more do not.
  • Encountering lots of things, like using Hordes, is still the most effective way to encounter a shiny.

And here's some data. 

Of the last 100 captured shinies:

• The average played time is 15.76 days. (11.33 days if ignoring top 3/bottom 3 outliers)
  • The minimum played time is 1.67 hours.
  • The highest played time is 235 days.
  • 78 out of 100 were captured with a player with more than 1 day of played time.

Thanks for these infos

6 minutes ago, Legionaire said:

Tell me... What do you think will happen when people don't spend 100's of mills on shinies??

Ppl would rather keep their OTs than selling them, and a few players that live from shiny trading would be f****. Just that

41 minutes ago, KaynineXL said:

I'v said it before, I'm sure Kyu's post was half-troll anyway, don't take it too seriously.

I remember you saying so,

but wouldn't it be inconsiderate to troll/give out false information at that specific moment, when he knew everybody was going to be upset about the false information given in the past?

@Desu May you tell us whether the original statement of Kyu was false or if those factors influencing the rate were altered?

Edited by Anthrazit
mistake - thanks to LifeStyle and Bonobo for letting me know
2 minutes ago, Legionaire said:

You aren't getting the big picture... Go think about it

Economy would get lowered, thats for sure, we all know that. I dont get where you wanna get

Just now, Anthrazit said:

I remember you saying so,

but wouldn't it be inconsiderate to troll/give out false information at that specific moment, when he knew everybody was going to be upset about the false information given in the past?

@Desu May you tell us whether the original statement of Desu was false or if those factors influencing the rate were altered?

I mean, half his posts contain a lenny lol.

Ok, thank you for confirming that noobs don't have better chances than "loyal" players.

That's awesome in my opinion. But that's about all that was said here folks. There are plenty of other players here that hunt "24/7" and have nothing to show for it. That's fine. That all makes sense because RNG is RNG. Right? So everything would be square and we could all live happily ever after, if only they never said the rates are not static, and if only they said it was the same exact chances for everyone. But they didn't and we're all still in the same situation. People are still going to think this is unfair.

Prob just cause RNG makes people think weird stuff cause it takes so long tho lol

1 hour ago, notmudkip0 said:

What's this then

Hide contents

Direct attention the 'how new you are' if you're confused still.

Going off of what Kyu said a year ago, and what Desu has clarified, one would think the more new you are the worse chance you have a getting a shiny, but observing how that thread went there is a huge possibility that those factors don't play a role anymore, especially when that thread is more than a year old and looking at the result of that thread.

Somewhere I heard if you farm in the same spot the odds of encountering a shiny decreases?? Can somebody put a claim on this??

All I can tell you is that is true.  By doing repetitive tasks does lower your chance of encountering a shiny pokemon.  Best advice, is don't run in the same 4-5 spots, spam sweet scent in the same spot, or fish in the same spot.  Change it up a bit so you are not having any reptition, your chances would be slightly better.

Edited by Pythonhier
Just now, Pythonhier said:

All I can tell you is that is true.  By doing repetitive tasks does lower your chance of encountering a shiny pokemon.  Best advice, is don't run in the same 4-5 spots, spam sweet scent in the same spot, or fish in the same spot.  Change it up a bit so you are not having any reptition, your chances would be slightly better.

Thanks*

Just now, Pythonhier said:

This kind of rumor.

1 hour ago, Desu said:

Captchas are primarily non-automated human intervention. I don't want to get into this too much though.

This was the most interesting thing I learned today. Now I know why I've never been captcha'd, and why some players have been spammed with them, lol. I feel like there have been a few instances of abuse of power in the past.

I won't ever understand how the shiny rate works in this game, and never will, because the mechanics will never be explained ;-;

It would be nice, though, if we could invoke some sort of command, like "/shiny" for example, that would tell us our shiny rate (in the form of a %), so that way we could figure out our expected average amount of encounters to find a shiny. Though it could raise up some issues of players complaining about their rate compared to others... Just a thought...

Edited by Gilan
grammer ;)
15 minutes ago, Gilan said:

This was the most interesting thing I learned today. Now I know why I've never been captcha'd, and why some players have been spammed with them, lol. I feel like there have been a few instances of abuse of power in the past.

I won't ever understand how the shiny rate works in this game, and never will, because the mechanics will never be explained ;-;

It would be nice, though, if we could invoke some sort of command, like "/shiny" for example, that would tell us our shiny rate (in the form of a %), so that way we could figure out our expected average amount of encounters to find a shiny. Though it could raise up some issues of players complaining about their rate compared to others... Just a thought...

I am in love with your "The New Breeding Guide". Awesome work on that!

Edited by Pythonhier

Thank you for the data samples and communication, its nice to see some behind the scenes info unto what happens revolving shiny since otherwise we have to rely on observational bias.

People are always gonna be salty tho unfortunately...