I Looked Into The Whole Shiny Thing [Message To The Devs]

37 minutes ago, Raederz said:

Well I just farmed for 2 weeks like a no brain guy, and see my sig, one more OT :)

Defend the shiny rate on forum make you get a better rate. I'm the proof.

That would explain why my rate crashed after questioning the rate XD

Felicitation on the Spheal though - nice IVs too iirc

5 hours ago, Platoons said:

Who knew that pixels with a distorted color could cause so much ruckus 

Who knew that the color pigment of your skin could cause so much ruckus - I mean, it's not like it's completely entangled in every part of our history and we haven't learned 

P.S. 

Spoiler

It's literally the same shit. People don't learn.

Edited by Moetal

I think, maybe, the main problem here is how unfair, if i can put it that way, it looks for players that have 2, 3, 4k hours of game play and have not a single shiny encounter, while a player with, let's say, 400 hours of game play has encounter at least one.

I did try to get one but got bored after two weeks, or more(yes i know it's not much, i also have only 1,7hours or so of game play). I haven't played the game in a while, been waiting for PVE update, so i don't really know what's going on, but it seems that new players have been encountering shinies easier than "old players". For what i've read and for what i understood of all of that is how unfair it looks. So that is my opinion

But. If they, the Devs, change the encounter rate wouldn't the shinies, at some point, become less rare, which would mean less value? If they put the encounter predictable wouldn't everyone go for the same shiny? or If you get a chance to see how much is left till you encounter a shiny, wouldn't you go for your favorite one? It does sound great if you just want to show it off(although after a while it would lost its rare effect), but maybe for the game economy, which it's been a problem for what i remember, wouldn't be so good.

I am thinking in the game as whole community with an economy. So as much i would like to know when i would get to see and catch(even that could be tricky because what if the right number is the wrong pokemon, even if you are in the right spot? that would be messed up too) my favorite shiny, wouldn't be so good for the game.

I don't think there's a way to improve the shiny rate without messing up the economy. If they change it in a way that only players with long hours of game play + a certain number of encounters would get one, would give old players more power over the economy... Makes sense? Would that be fair? Starting a game and find a shiny can give an economic  boost to the new player to start in the competitive tournaments...

Anyway... Sorry for the long post :P

17 minutes ago, Darkshade said:

It's as equally unfair as it is fair.

That's how RNG works.

I didn't say it is unfair. I said how it looks unfair. For what i understand the rate is random, so it's kind of a matter of luck for everybody, correct?

Also for what i understood, recently, players started to make new accounts and kind of "broke the system" and started to find more shinies on those new accounts(?) So you see why i said that it looks unfair. But, since it is random, they were just lucky

Maybe i didn't understand anything at all, and i'm all wrong. I do not speak for everybody, it's just my view from what i've read. Like i said, i can be wrong

32 minutes ago, insertusernamehere said:

I didn't say it is unfair. I said how it looks unfair. For what i understand the rate is random, so it's kind of a matter of luck for everybody, correct?

Also for what i understood, recently, players started to make new accounts and kind of "broke the system" and started to find more shinies on those new accounts(?) So you see why i said that it looks unfair. But, since it is random, they were just lucky

Well they didn't 'break the system' as it were, it was entirely down to a lucky RNG roll as you've pointed out.

the reason it's unfair and people whine is because of money making in this game. No, seriously, hear me out. Consider a shiny mander; the only way you are ever going to get that is if you find one yourself, or scam it off a noob. No one ever thinks: "yeah, I'm gonna go grind that yen and save up for a shiny mander". Due to this, animosity is formed by those without shinies towards those with high tier shinies. Until better money making methods are introduced (i.e. those that aren't endless, mindless grinding), the system is cursed.

So what I'm saying, if I'm saying anything, is: implement legendary dungeons already, and implement them the right way. If legendary dungeons aren't fun, then the problems will continue.

The existence of OTs also plays a part in it. In the end, shinies are a status symbol, and MMO's are played so that we can create an account that is better than other people's accounts and have that feeling of superiority; that's why shinies are important.

1 hour ago, insertusernamehere said:

Maybe i didn't understand anything at all, and i'm all wrong. I do not speak for everybody, it's just my view from what i've read. Like i said, i can be wrong

Random dont means that some accounts have good rates and some have bad rates.

Random means some encounters are shinies, and some are not.

Create multiple accounts is just dumb.

On 5.7.2016 at 9:08 PM, Desu said:

Shinies and you: An informative PSA

While there's nothing to say that hasn't already been said in some form or another, here's a few important facts that keep being distorted.

• Aside from Donator Status, there are no significant ways in which players can boost their shiny rates.
  • New players do not have a better chance than older.
  • Most importantly RNG is RNG, there is no guarantee to get a shiny in 100,000,000,000 encounters. Each encounter is a new RNG roll, independent of any previous.
  • Statistical outliers will exist in both extremes.
  • For every new player who gets a shiny, many thousand more do not.
  • Encountering lots of things, like using Hordes, is still the most effective way to encounter a shiny.

And here's some data. 

Of the last 100 captured shinies:

• The average played time is 15.76 days. (11.33 days if ignoring top 3/bottom 3 outliers)
  • The minimum played time is 1.67 hours.
  • The highest played time is 235 days.
  • 78 out of 100 were captured with a player with more than 1 day of played time.

May you please provide the same data collection for the months of march 2016 and april 2016?

If it is not to bothersome to process the data, I belive it might be appreciated not only by me, but possibly other players as well, if this data could be provided regularly (for example per month/quarterly...) - rougly similar to the usage statistics - as this way
- players could constantly assure themselves that there are no significant inequalities in shiny distribution (between old/new players, months, maybe even species if you want to go as far as provide details on which species were found)

- players could get motivated to start shiny hunting/hunt more and maybe more will decide to buy the donator status

- more tranparency

I currently don't see possible abuse of the data provided, but might miss something?
Thanks in any case for consideration

Edited by Anthrazit
spelling error
4 hours ago, Raederz said:

Random dont means that some accounts have good rates and some have bad rates.

Random means some encounters are shinies, and some are not.

Create multiple accounts is just dumb.

I was talking about random rate shiny encounter, and not random rates for the accounts. Like i said, ppl that made new accounts and found a shiny were just lucky. You can either find one after 500 encounters, or find one after 70.000 encounters or none, or find 10 shinies, for what i understand.

I would rather see different PVE content in the game, some fun new stuff to do, than a better shiny rate encounter

If only the game used the static rate of shinies from the games from the start, and there wouldn't had been a ruckus. I mean out of all the Pokemon Games I played on the handhelds. Only in Pokemon Diamond I had gotten a shiny (which was a Tentacruel). So I doubt the original rate for the games would be that much of a problem. 

On 07/07/2016 at 3:21 AM, Noad said:

Your shiny rate doesn't get lowered from a captcha being issued, chill out. I don't believe this was ever stated by Kyu in that shiny thread, it's a rumour.

Kyu in the first ever post confirming dynamic shiny rate:

Factors that affect your shiny rate. "How much do we think you're cheating."

That's what made people think that captcha reduced the rate.

2 hours ago, Bishav said:

Kyu in the first ever post confirming dynamic shiny rate:

Factors that affect your shiny rate. "How much do we think you're cheating."

That's what made people think that captcha reduced the rate.

Good logic. The thing that proves you aren't cheating ruins your rate because it makes them think you're cheating 

No one even mentions how day/night affect shiny rates! During the day I have only a 1/8000 chance, but during night it is 1/8000. Think about that.

if anyone wants to debunk my theory go right ahead, just try.

Edited by YourMajesty
9 hours ago, Rigamorty said:

Good logic. The thing that proves you aren't cheating ruins your rate because it makes them think you're cheating 

Exactly my point. If anything, the ones correctly answering the captcha should be relieved that they are clear of any suspicion.

I'm not saying this to get a shiny or anything .