About Shiny Rate, and how people feel about it.

Raederz

Question

Hi.

I'm french, so i'll try to make this post as understandable as possible. Correct me if necessary.

Well.

I dont post a lot in the forum, but I read most of the post, and I saw a lot about shinies, and shiny rate.

Most of the time, people blame other people being lucky, people blame the shiny rate mechanic, people cry being unlucky, people ask way to get a better shiny rate, but, always, the post are vague, confused, cuz they all are no idea of what is the real rate.

In the past, the shiny rate was 1/8192 for all. That was pretty cool. But now, every player has his own shiny rate. We dont exactely know how it works, but, probably something like, the rate increases if you looks like a bot. Lot of threads about it, lot of rumors, we cant really know how it works.

The fact is, this way to make the shiny rate make people frustrated, hate lucky people, and think about "system abuse" or cheat (because of the ignorance of the details).

I think devs must change it.

Do we have to go back to the 1/8192 shiny rate ?

When we ask dev why they changed this rate, they tell us that PokeMMO has a lot of player, and this rate make an excessive shiny generation.

I definitely agree with that.

So ... How to make people less frustrated by the "shiny rate", without making shiny hunting so easy ?

Just make it harder, and tell them how hard it is.

And DONT, please, DONT make it harder for people who especially play for shiny hunting. Ye, they looks like bots, but thats the only way to shiny hunt.

Now that I told you about how I think people feel about it, I will tell you my opinion about how to change it, precisely.

In my opinion, the "not the same rate for all" is a good idea. But the "we wont tell you how to get a better rate" is THE problem.

First, we have to know what we want a shiny to be a reward for.

1-1- Early players, Lucky Shots

I think, shinies must still be obtainable by "lucky shot", like, a guy who started the game 15 minutes ago got one, by luck.

This is something that create the shiny myth, make it magic, make begginers dream.

But these "lucky shot" must stay rare, even if we look for a big amount of players.

So, I think that begginers, pre-E4 players, must have the "base shiny rate", the lowest possible, but still more than 0%.

A lucky shot must stay a lucky shot.

1-2- Casual player/Non-ShinyHunter, Loyal Lucky Shot

Most of the players on PokeMMO have finished the storyline, but still play, doing some isle run, breeding poke, doing pvp, ...

These players are not shiny hunters, but they are frequent players.

I think they must have a better rate than the "new players", assuming the "new players" rate is really low.

So, imo, "loyal lucky shot" is the same thing as lucky shot, but, the player deserve it a bit more, being less from luck, and more from ... idk .. seniority.

Like these guys who get shiny encounter when isle running.

1-3- Shiny Hunter, farm reward

Then here is the lowest part, not a great number of players, but a lot of encounter from this small part.

I think they deserve a better rate, but not hardly better.

They play to get shinies, give them a lower rate would be absurd.

These players are determinated, when they want a shiny, they know they'll get it, they just need time.

2- THE rate.

We still are in my opinion. I'll give some precise rate that I think would be good for every kind of player.

2-1- Basic Rate

The rate that player have before finishing the storyline.

I think 1/80000. It's huge.

This category of player feel shiny encounter as a myth.

The one who get a shiny this way don't want to see that there is another lucker every 100 players.

2-2-1 Pre-Casual Rate

Pre-Casual Rate is when u finished one of the 2 storylines.

I think about 1/40000.

It's way better than the Basic Rate, but it's still huge.

People in this category will get twice more shinies, but I assume there is twice more or even more players that don't finish the story line, or stop playing the game after this.

2-2-2 Casual Rate

Casual Rate is obtained when u finish both storylines.

1/20000.

One more time, these players get twice more shinies than the last category. And one more time, they are way less players that finished 2 storylines, and continue playing the game.

2-3 PokeMMO Player Rate

Here is the real pokemmo player rate. The kind of player who explore every feature of the game. The kind of player who looks for the "100% finished" when he plays a game.

These players are not here just to play pokemon, they are the community, most of them are active on the forum, they are the small part that make the game living and animated.

There is a lot of possibilities for their rate.

In my opinion, their rate should vary from 1/20000 to 1/12000.

1/12000 would be the better shiny rate possible. Accessible, by every players, but after they shown their determination.

The best way to increase their rate would be things like achievements. Other categories has E4 that exactely separate them. Here, we need some achievements.

Lot of possibilities :

-Complete the Seen Dex - 1/20000 to 1/19000

-Complete the Obtained Dex - 1/19000 to 1/18000

-Complete the Caught OT Dex - 1/18000 to 1/16000

-Have xxx encounters done - 1/16000 to 1/14000

-Have xxx encounters done of [Pokemon Specie] - 1/12000 for [Pokemon Specie]

Here is just an exemple. The last looks really cool, making people who hunt able to maximise their rate, farming the poke they like.

Well now you have my opinion. But remember that the most important to me is to COMMUNICATE the rate, and how to improve it.

If u dont communicate, people will always be frustrated for things, and think about abuse and cheat.

EDIT : TO ADMIN

I dont know how great is the current ... medium .. rate. My suggestion is not "make the shiny easier to find", if the current rate is around 1/30 000, juste change my :

80 000 - 40 000 - 20 000 - 12 000

to

200 000 - 100 000 - 50 000 - 30 000

The most important is to show a rate, to prove complaining guys that rate doesnt fluctuate on "how much you are loved by the staff" or absurd things like that.

Edited by Raederz

22 answers to this question

12 minutes ago, RysPicz said:

Read this thread and you'll understand. Devs practically confessed that they lied to us for like 3 years about shiny encounter rate.

Well, why be locked on the past ? Lets have a new vision on this. I'm a pretty new player (well not that new, but not that old), and I see players frustrated, so I make a suggestion. :)

The post is outdated, shiny breeding wasnt, and my suggestion talk about a next rate mechanic, not about the last or the "not last".

11 minutes ago, FuzzyRegirock said:

The shiny rate is individual and was confirmed by devs

This is not the topic :x Read the post please :)

Edited by Raederz
1 hour ago, RysPicz said:

It never was.

Read this thread and you'll understand. Devs practically confessed that they lied to us for like 3 years about shiny encounter rate.

No, I believe they said at that time the shiny rate wasn't static for over a year, but previously it was 1/8192 as they said in FAQ.

nvm, the post dont talk about what was the shiny rate years ago

(pls dont make it a trash post like other shiny discussions, first read the post, and post reply if u have something to say about it, not about "past and curent shiny rate" cuz it's not the topic)

Edited by Raederz

this is actually a good suggestion.

A possible drawback is that you are making it way more rare for early players to find shinies, which I've known a few players that have played for a long time just because they found a good shiny within 10hours of gameplay.

10 minutes ago, Gilan said:

this is actually a good suggestion.

A possible drawback is that you are making it way more rare for early players to find shinies, which I've known a few players that have played for a long time just because they found a good shiny within 10hours of gameplay.

Ye, I know that the "early lucky shot" is appreciated but, most of the time, players who want to stop after the story wont continue playing just because they got a shiny, and if they do, I don't think it's a consequent part of the PokeMMO players.

And btw, begginers still able to get shinies by this kind of lucky shot.

I did this difference between early and late players, because i wanted to answer to the question "who deserve shiny the most", and I definitely think that, if rate must be different for players, late must have the better rate.

First point, they have loyalty privilege.

Second point, there is way more begginers than late players, so better control of shiny generation.

Edited by Raederz
1 hour ago, MadameFoster said:

I found my first 3 shinys every 150 hours, then with all captchas i got i feel like my shiny rate was f*cked, idk. I'm pretty sure if they think ure cheating, ur rate increases.

Thats exactely what I'm explaining, people are confused, they dont know if they do thing the good way.

When you want a shiny, the best way seems to be farming, but is it really ?

Edited by Raederz

I dislike knowing the fact that the current system is based on whether or not they think you are a cheater. This only means that its actually a possibility real players are being falsely suspected of cheating/running bots and ending up being screwed over with a shitty rate. Spending all their time hunting on an account that is now ruined in terms of shiny encounter probability.

There are only so many things you can do in pokemmo.

1. Poke IV hunting

2. Breeding

3. Comp battling

4. Shiny hunting

5. Socializing

Why screw over one of the few things we have to choose from?

Heres the link for my source of information that proves each player gets assigned a different rate by their "system" :

So yes, my post is that I support this suggestion. 100%

All players should be treated equally, and the economy of shiny pokemon isn't something you should be able to forcefully control ( which I think is why they have such a shitty encountering mechanic ) Let the market be natural, and fix the encounter rates to something fair for all legit players.

Edited by frogbussoms
1 minute ago, Raederz said:

Read the post :)

Main problem is not the rate, but the communication !

for real tho, i think u guys are speculating like waay to much. I used to complain a lot too about shiny rate, untill 2 months ago when i decided to buy a 30 day donator status and hunt no stop, so i found a shiny after like a week of donator activated and then i just keept hunting even after finding more shinys, there i realized how wrong i was. honestly i dont think shiny rate should be as complicated as ur trying to suggest. And i do think its like almost impossible for ur acount to be "cursed" so u cant find shinys in the wild, the only thing i do in this game is shiny hunt so i look like a bot everytime im online and im still finding shinys. Also if u really want to find a shiny then just go to the grass and hunt untill u find one, and if u want to increase ur chances to the max then buy a donator status and hunt with hordes. Shinys are indeed rare so they can take a while to appear, aswell as they can appear almost instantly, my last shiny took me around 34k+ encounters to find. On the other side, i found one before in around 200-300 encounters.

@chesars

I'm shiny hunting like 80% of the time I play. And I play a lot.

I got 2 OT, and I think I'm lucky for that.

But I cant juge the shiny rate on my own experience. The rate is fkin huge, the only way to juge it is to look for a lot of players.

Even with 1/500000000 rate, there always will be something like .. 1, or 2 players like you, finding a lot of shinies, so, you cant use ur experience as an exemple.

If I only look my experience or yours, shiny rate is cool, but, looking for the community, there is definitely a problem.

Just now, Raederz said:

@chesars

I'm shiny hunting like 80% of the time I play. And I play a lot.

I got 2 OT, and I think I'm lucky for that.

But I cant juge the shiny rate on my own experience. The rate is fkin huge, the only way to juge it is to look for a lot of players.

Even with 1/500000000 rate, there always will be something like .. 1, or 2 players like you, finding a lot of shinies, so, you cant use ur experience as an exemple.

If I only look my experience or yours, shiny rate is cool, but, looking for the community, there is definitely a problem.

u sure? i have sen a lot of old/active players getting ot shinys lately, ffs even flareblitzz got an ot magmar at 6k hours lol

37 minutes ago, Raederz said:

And how many active players still don't have one ?

You see people who get one because they say it. People who still don't have one won't post every day "still no shiny".

well as i said before shinys are rare also depends a lot on ur RNG

3 minutes ago, chesars said:

well as i said before shinys are rare also depends a lot on ur RNG

U're right.

And as I said, the biggest part of the problem is not from the rate but from the communication about it.

This is what they advertise.

pi9HGAs.png

Then this is what they have to say when constantly asked what the fuck is going on with shinies. Read the bottom where he says " I apologize for the out of date information. This is a situation we weren't really sure how to handle when we began to change things, and ignoring it wasn't the right way to do so. "

thAzF7X.png

Here's a link for everyone to look for yourself

Edited by frogbussoms

I think we all read it :x Please don't be off-topic.

I wanted to add to chesars that I know, cursed accounts are a myth, but, why do the staff let all these guys think they are cursed ? If the staff tell you "I wont tell u if u are or not", lot of people will obviously think "ok i'm cursed", even if this "curse" doesnt exist.