Any guides or tools to help with EV and Movesets?

TwistedPxl

I have seen many people ask what is best for this pokemon or what movesets to use for that pokemon. I also know how IVs and EVs work, however I would like something that would help in figuring out what IVs to raise and what moves to learn.

I am looking for something that lets you enter a Pokemon's Name, Nature and EVs then it would show best IV spread and moveset for that pokemon. If anyone could point me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate the help.

smogon is the closet to what your asking for, however the dpp metagame and pokemmo arent quiet the same. we are missing about 100 or so pokes and over a hundred moves, as well as hundreds of other minor changes like the way sleep moves and grass types work and the power and effects of various moves.

http://www.smogon.com/dex/dp/pokemon/

for pokemmo specific stuff you are going to have to go to comp assistance and read the guides, althou many of the guides are out of date and/or have been trashed.

you can also try reading up on the various competitive discussion threads and such, but there is a lot of shorthand and can be difficult for new players to understand. 

Edited by fredrichnietze

There's never an objective "best EV spread" for any Pokemon ever. What causes some natures/spreads and especially movesets to be best is the metagame around.

Choose nature and EV spread according to what you wanna do with that Pokemon. I'll use NU Flareon as an example because it has so many possible EV spreads and natures and none of them is objectively the best one. Let's say you want a special wall Fire-type with Wish and Heal Bell and you decide to go for Flareon. Because of this role you want to boost the special defense and therefor you want to give it a special defense boosting nature. You decide you don't want to run any special offensive attacks with this Flareon and therefor the best nature for this Flareon would be Careful. EV Spreads are complementing the nature and giving the maximum bulk for this role having 252 HP 252 Sp. Def would be the best bet.

If you want an offensive Flareon to break down your opposing walls, you could go for Adamant Choice Band one. This one's EV Spread could be i.e. 252 Attack 252 HP or 252 Attack 252 Speed. Boosting attack makes sure Flareon can succeed the best in this regard. Then instead of the defensive moves you used on the last, on this offensive one you would want to choose moves that make it the hardest for opponent to defend themselves from possible attacks.

Additionally you could consider a Choice Scarf Flareon which is a late-game sweeper Flareon to sweep all the Pokemon from slow to very fast and now suddenly the 252 Attack 252 Speed EV Spread is a must and your nature could be even Jolly.

These are just examples how one Pokemon can have completely separate ways to build and therefor there is no single way to build pretty much any Pokemon even though there tends to be some that are fairly standard (i.e. almost all Aerodactyls are 252 atk 252 speed Jolly, unless you're gbwead).

I didn't exactly attack movesets in this post so let me clear that one too. I recommend to check Pokedex for your specie's movepool. Then look at the tier the Pokemon is in from Pokedex. The wisest thing to moveset your Pokemon is to cover as much ground with those 4 moves against the tier you're playing in as possible. For example, if you would play Altaria in UU Flamethrower could be an absolute must because of the how prevalent Scizor is in the UU tier.

Hope I explained something.

edit: What comes to EV Spread, I'd say 80% of the time maximizing two stats is the best way to go. Sometimes split EVs are a good idea but usually they need to serve some purpose, such as being guaranteed to live one certain hit from a common attacker or so on. For those I recommend to use http://pokemonshowdown.com/damagecalc/

Edited by OrangeManiac

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.