Chat Filter is bugging me!!

I understand that "sell" and "buy" are now filtered. Thats fine and dandy. I can get around that.

BUT this particular sentence was filtered and there are NO banned words in it. I was able to say every word as long as they werent in the same post. 

"all lvl 100 mons are usually worth atleast 100k"

3x it did not go through the filter, but when I broke it up to:

"100k"

lvl 100 mons are usually worth that much ^" 

it went through just fine. 

Am I missing something? Or is this a pain in the ass to anyone else?

Just now, notmudkip0 said:

The filter is awkward at times. It reads "se" as sell if you mention an item after it.

Hide contents

Example: "becauSE light ball..."

Filter would catch this and block it (Happened to me before)

^ that needs to be changed. Immediately. 

1 minute ago, notmudkip0 said:

The filter is awkward at times. It reads "se" as sell if you mention an item after it.

Hide contents

Example: "becauSE light ball..."

Filter would catch this and block it (Happened to me before)

This is actually false. It's reading the "Li" in Light as "ll" too. What it's filtering is "SE LI" to prevent people from evading the filter to sneakily sell things on channel chat with a space and capital i.

1 minute ago, RacheLucario said:

This is actually false. It's reading the "Li" in Light as "ll" too. What it's filtering is "SE LI" to prevent people from evading the filter to sneakily sell things on channel chat with a space and capital i.

That's just what I was told. Sorry for not knowing all about this shoddy filter.

Just now, RacheLucario said:

I understand the thinking behind this... but its really screwing with normal conversation. "s3ll" is more popular anyway.

Plus, shouldnt you only be banning "sell", "buy", "WTS", "WTB", and "Vendo" ? Adding in combinations that are more often used in normal conversation, not people trying to be sneaky, is a clear example of punishing everyone for a few people's actions. 

For some reason it also tends to stop people from saying 100k in chat, while 100,000 always seems to work. 

I also agree that the censor is extremely annoying, but I think I know a good way to make both sides happy: Add in a similiar filter that you can turn on and off, like with swears, but instead with the buy/sell combinations. People who have the filter for the words on would not have to see the words, and people trying to chat would not be impeded by a very frustrating filter.

2 minutes ago, Obsideon said:

For some reason it also tends to stop people from saying 100k in chat, while 100,000 always seems to work. 

I also agree that the censor is extremely annoying, but I think I know a good way to make both sides happy: Add in a similiar filter that you can turn on and off, like with swears, but instead with the buy/sell combinations. People who have the filter for the words on would not have to see the words, and people trying to chat would not be impeded by a very frustrating filter.

Actually that might not be too bad an idea ^ Replace the censored words with "************" instead of banning the whole sentence.  And make it seperate from the swear filter, ofcourse. 

And I kinda thought that was problem, saying '100k" but it let me type 100k by itself x-X

1 hour ago, WolfgangDamien said:

I understand the thinking behind this... but its really screwing with normal conversation. "s3ll" is more popular anyway.

Plus, shouldnt you only be banning "sell", "buy", "WTS", "WTB", and "Vendo" ? Adding in combinations that are more often used in normal conversation, not people trying to be sneaky, is a clear example of punishing everyone for a few people's actions. 

If we only filter basic terms, people very easily find ways around them and the filter ceases to be effective. Finding that the filter is actually quite difficult to evade is a lot more discouraging to would-be channel traders than having to simply add a space or change an L to an i. It's not perfect and it can be an inconvenience from time to time, but the result is considerably less channel trading, so it's shown itself to be worthwhile. It's better to have a minor nuisance than to have a big one that drowns out conversation.

Just now, RacheLucario said:

If we only filter basic terms, people very easily find ways around them and the filter ceases to be effective. Finding that the filter is actually quite difficult to evade is a lot more discouraging to would-be channel traders than having to simply add a space or change an L to an i. It's not perfect and it can be an inconvenience from time to time, but the result is considerably less channel trading, so it's shown itself to be worthwhile. It's better to have a minor nuisance than to have a big one that drowns out conversation.

i think its becoming a bigger nuisance though, because having to type the same sentence 5x without it getting through (plus add the time restrictions on that), its discouraging me from channel chat altogether

6 minutes ago, WolfgangDamien said:

i think its becoming a bigger nuisance though, because having to type the same sentence 5x without it getting through (plus add the time restrictions on that), its discouraging me from channel chat altogether

Press 'Up' when focused on chat input.

Just now, Desu said:

Press 'Up' when focused on chat input.

I do. I still have to rewrite the sentence to figure out what exactly is being censored. No one has pointed out what exactly made my example sentence get blocked except for the '100k' part, which was not censored by itself

I have a question that might allow the filter to stay and be less frustrating..

Should ALL talk of pricing, price checks, value, worth, the GTL, etc etc be redirected to the Trade Chat? Rather than just buying & selling? 

Spoiler

If so, it may take a little while, but actual discussion might come back to the Trade Chat rather than spamming "WTS> yadayadayada" every chance you get. Well, maybe not in channel 1 and 2... but channel 3's Trade Chat might come alive again. 

I feel the filter is doing a decent job and if you aren't really selling anything, you can just evade it. 

It needs to filter sell to prevent the chat to only be about trading terrible Pokémon.

18 hours ago, WolfgangDamien said:

Should ALL talk of pricing, price checks, value, worth, the GTL, etc etc be redirected to the Trade Chat? Rather than just buying & selling? 

Hide contents

Yes that was the whole point of trade chat. Discussing trades.

1 hour ago, Bishav said:

I feel the filter is doing a decent job and if you aren't really selling anything, you can just evade it. 

It needs to filter sell to prevent the chat to only be about trading terrible Pokémon.

Yes that was the whole point of trade chat. Discussing trades.

I dont doubt the need for a filter, I still think its a little ridiculous to include weird combinations more often used in normal chatting than sneaky selling. But Ill do my part to try and curb value discussion into the trade chat. Maybe Ill start hanging out in trade chat too, to help people with pricing. I hope actual conversation will come back to the trade chat, thats what I had hoped would happen after the GTL went up, but trade chat just kinda died.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.