Earning a Master Ball for completing the Owned PokeDex

Bestfriends

Question

6a325870e8867533e81740aee91dd1d6.pngEarning a Master Ball for completing the Owned PokeDex6a325870e8867533e81740aee91dd1d6.png

266a6e0a481ef703313f0995de46eae2.png

I was chatting with someone and we were discussing the PokeDex. To his credit, he came up with this idea about earning a reward for completing the PokeDex. We were throwing around some ideas from a monetary reward to items. We wanted a reward that would make the general player base excited and we concluded that a Master Ball should be given. Due to this person not wanting the spotlight, he asked me to make the suggestion for him, but I am going to add to it a little. The Master Ball can be awarded to those who complete the "Owned" part of the PokeDex. I would like to suggest something epic for the "Caught OT" dex that's a well deserved gift given to you by the game (a gift that's in my opinion, even better than the Master Ball).

free_icon__wiggling_master_ball_by_natakPossible Questionsfree_icon__wiggling_master_ball_by_natak

1. How do you obtain the master ball?

Answer 1: After you complete the dex, go to the Game Freak Building in Celadon City or Lilycove Hotel in Lilycove City and talk to these NPCs.

8a369b7202c923193436ac18f8767a0b.png

021e4fc01732e822b1ce1a15dec2dd53.png

Possible Script: "I am the game designer. Oh my, you completed the "Owned" part of the Pokedex! We programmed this reward in the game for you, enjoy it!"

Obtained the MASTER BALL

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. Can the Master Ball be obtained twice (one in Kanto and one in Hoenn)?

Answer 2: It would be nice, but it depends on the overall opinion of the PokeMMO developers.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3. Can this feature break the economy?

Answer 3: Since this item is going to be "locked" in your bag, you shouldn't have to worry about a broken economy.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ddacd58ba446f926e38aa97e5f397553.pngOverall Summaryddacd58ba446f926e38aa97e5f397553.png

A completed PokeDex Owned or Caught OT is quite difficult to complete. I thank the player I was chatting with for giving me this idea to suggest. I plan to make another suggestion about what item to reward the players who completed the "Caught OT" edition of the PokeDex.

Edited by Bestfriends
clarification

15 answers to this question

Although I do think there should be some kind of reward for completing the pokedex with the new OT restrictions, I don't really think giving a master ball really accomplishes much. I've been playing for 3 years and still have both my master balls (albeit I obtained the master ball from hoenn later obviously). Currently the only use for master balls would be to catch a shiny that can roar/whirlwind/explode. I imagine legendaries won't be implemented in a way that you can just master ball them either, so their use (most likely by design in this game) is rather useless. 

So what should the reward be (implying there should be a reward in the first place)? Well ultimately that's up to the devs, but personally I think it should be a unique vanity that is untradable and be somewhat relevant to the pokedex. Rewarding a person with yen or something else seems unlikely, even though catching all the pokemon in the game is quite the difficult feat (and somewhat impossible with the current situation with feebas). Something similar to runescape's completionist cape, which was for maxing every skill and doing all quests, etc. A fancy cape or total outfit would be nice, but it seems that it would definitely be on the backburner for what devs have planned in future updates.  

Seems kind of pointless to get something to help you catch one pokemon when you have literally already caught them all.

Also, master balls are relatively useless anyways. I just keep them in case I run into a shiny for the first time in my life across the 9 different pokemon games I've played through now.

I don't think the reward should be something already in the game, to be honest. I also disagree with vanity items but tat's just because I simply don't care about that kind of stuff and I like my character's outfit to match :P.

I would accept a master ball for "discovering" all of the pokemon, but for catching every single one.... kind of a weak prize.

Idea is not bad. But as someone said: for discovery is ok. For catch better prize,  not any kind of shiny (no nongift/gift), no m ball s,  but how about special mystery boxes that got slight chanel for random limited avi limity cosmetic items like knight helmet.  

Edited by Pereiraa
I have removed the first part of your post.
On 28/06/2016 at 10:26 PM, BurntZebra said:

Although I do think there should be some kind of reward for completing the pokedex with the new OT restrictions, I don't really think giving a master ball really accomplishes much. I've been playing for 3 years and still have both my master balls (albeit I obtained the master ball from hoenn later obviously). Currently the only use for master balls would be to catch a shiny that can roar/whirlwind/explode. I imagine legendaries won't be implemented in a way that you can just master ball them either, so their use (most likely by design in this game) is rather useless. 

So what should the reward be (implying there should be a reward in the first place)? Well ultimately that's up to the devs, but personally I think it should be a unique vanity that is untradable and be somewhat relevant to the pokedex. Rewarding a person with yen or something else seems unlikely, even though catching all the pokemon in the game is quite the difficult feat (and somewhat impossible with the current situation with feebas). Something similar to runescape's completionist cape, which was for maxing every skill and doing all quests, etc. A fancy cape or total outfit would be nice, but it seems that it would definitely be on the backburner for what devs have planned in future updates.  

What an honour to be communicating with one of the top players of this game. Let me address your concerns one at a time:

1. I beg to differ because I think that the general player base is greatly under valuing the power of the Master Ball. I wouldn't think they are useless because people had to use it for emergency reasons as you mentioned, but its nice to have some "emergency balls" when needed. Its great that you have two master balls ready for that special occasion.

2. I mentioned a special vanity item reward in my OT Dex suggestion. I am going to start off with your Feebas concern with my personal experience from the Pokemon Red, Blue, and Yellow series (I'm old). When I completed the dex, the gen 1 games let me have the diploma even though Mew was not in my dex. In my view, PokeMMO should do the same with Feebas. 

I hope everything goes well for you and I look forward to seeing you play an official.

On 29/06/2016 at 4:25 AM, JonazDK said:

I think a special non-tradeable vanity item would be a better prize for it...

I mentioned that prize for completing the OT Dex Prize.

On 29/06/2016 at 9:15 AM, frogbussoms said:

Just give us a cape with a pokeball on the back lol..

Gotta catch em all

I addressed my response in the wrong thread, but I am going to readdress it in this thread. The cape on PokeMMO is quite a tiny place to design something like a ball. I am sure if Darkshade was given the task, he'll be up for it.

On 30/06/2016 at 3:34 AM, Zaiara said:

Seems kind of pointless to get something to help you catch one pokemon when you have literally already caught them all.

Also, master balls are relatively useless anyways. I just keep them in case I run into a shiny for the first time in my life across the 9 different pokemon games I've played through now.

I don't think the reward should be something already in the game, to be honest. I also disagree with vanity items but tat's just because I simply don't care about that kind of stuff and I like my character's outfit to match :P.

I would accept a master ball for "discovering" all of the pokemon, but for catching every single one.... kind of a weak prize.

Good morning Zaiara, I hope your doing well. I am going to address some the concerns you want me to answer:

1. I mean you did "catch" them all, so the Master Ball is not out of the realm of possibility.

2.  I am afraid that most people greatly undervalue the power of the Master Ball.

3. Those are your preferences

4. I mean you have the option of catching another poke guaranteed, so I think this is a strong prize.

On 01/07/2016 at 4:36 PM, Qaztin said:

Idea is not bad. But as someone said: for discovery is ok. For catch better prize,  not any kind of shiny (no nongift/gift), no m ball s,  but how about special mystery boxes that got slight chanel for random limited avi limity cosmetic items like knight helmet.  

Yes and no, that would be too op and that would drop the price of the Knight helmet and many other vanity items significantly. In my view, that could hurt the economy, but since you owned all the pokemon at one point, you should obtain a Master Ball. People are under valuing the power of the Master Ball. I did suggest a special vanity item for completing the OT Dex.

On 30/06/2016 at 5:14 AM, Minun said:

Would be cool if master ball becames sellable :3

1 hour ago, frogbussoms said:

Please no.

I happen to agree with frogbussoms because people can just make alternative accounts and then transfer over powered balls to their main account.

On 7/3/2016 at 9:41 PM, Bestfriends said:

I happen to agree with frogbussoms because people can just make alternative accounts and then transfer over powered balls to their main account.

Exactly, would make shiny abra and shinies with whirwind roar self destruct , crash in price if everyone could simply transfer a masterball to an account that runs out.

56 minutes ago, frogbussoms said:

Exactly, would make shiny abra and shinies with whirwind roar self destruct , crash in price if everyone could simply transfer a masterball to an account that runs out.

A "crash in price" might be slightly exaggerated as I believe encountering even one (let alone more than two to run out of master balls) is the bigger challenge than being able to catch it

1 minute ago, Anthrazit said:

A "crash in price" might be slightly exaggerated as I believe encountering even one (let alone more than two to run out of master balls) is the bigger challenge than being able to catch it

Regardless it affects how many are in game, which is something we should respect.

1 hour ago, frogbussoms said:

Regardless it affects how many are in game, which is something we should respect.

As I mentioned: Theoretically the number of shinies with Whirwind/Teleport/Explosion... encountered on one account would need to exceed at least '2' before it could influence "how many are in game"

Now think about the (rather unlikely) event you needed to use up all master balls (because you encountered that many shinies you could not catch by other means): Isn't it very likely that a player would start to carry Pokémon with Suction cups/Damp/Arena Trap in the party out of fear/in anticipation of another of those shinies showing up?

tldr: a third (for some maybe forth) master ball is unlikely to influence the actual amount of certain shinies

Edited by Anthrazit
spelling error

A person uses two masterballs on dumb shinies then a 3rd appears with whirwind/selfdestruct/roar ect doesn't deserve to own more masterballs. Basically makes all shinies masterballed.. Since that's what they will all be used on.. But at the moment people toss them on lv 2 pidgeys and shit for fun..

Just the fact you can always have a masterball for your next shiny ruins everything. Means you never need a smeargle and be ready for the shiny.

It just devalues shiny homie.

It's obvious