General Movies Thread, Cinephiles Rejoice

Although I am not a huge fan of the contemporary film industry (00s), there are still some neat classics like Donnie Darko, the Harry Potter franchise and some Tarantino's masterpieces. However, we can all agree that the film industry's true forte was back in the 20th century, where film makers were experimenting and things were at least LESS commercial than they are now.

What are some of your favorite movies? Actors/Actresses? Directors? Favorite movie OST? Discuss it here!

For me, it has to be Stanley Kubrick. The man was basically a prodigy who was way too ahead of his time. Vindicated by history, his films were not as appreciated back then as they are now. Not that his films were too pretentious, but his intellect and his ideas were captured in such a flawless way that people had a tough time getting the hang of the film (Read: 2001: A Space Odyssey and its incomprehensible last third of the movie) or they were dealing with subjects people were not happy with (See: Dr. Strangelove and how it depicted politicians as completely incompetent, something that is absolutely true nowadays). My favorite movie would have to be either The Shining (flawless shots, impeccable acting (Danny Lloyd and Jack Nicholson, sorry Shelley Duvall), some fantastic music and extremely eerie and unsettling atmosphere with one of the most fucked up endings in history) or A Clockwork Orange (perfect depiction of how broken beyond repair society is at this poin).

Favorite Actors/Actresses? I could name a few that I have really grown to like after a few films: Clint Eastwood & Meryl Streep (The Bridges of Madison County), Jack Nicholson (One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest), Dan Aykroyd (The Ghostbusters, The Blues Brothers), to name a few.

Favorite Movie Original Soundtrack? The Blues Brothers. Best. Musical. Ever. 

loving how staff threads keep crashing and burning get it already, you suck

im not a movies person myself in the sense of going out and watching whatever crap is new,

last movie of that kind i enjoyed was deadpool, the plot was lame and most characters were shit, so i enjoyed it only cuz deadpool being deadpool, and that was after missing 45 superhero movies and whatnot

i gota say tho that im not all for classic cinema either, what we usually do is attending  to foreign movie festivals and hipster stuff

i also enjoy short films screenings and obscure films

7 minutes ago, axx said:

im not a movies person myself in the sense of going out and watching whatever crap is new,

last movie of that kind i enjoyed was deadpool, the plot was lame and most characters were shit, so i enjoyed it only cuz deadpool being deadpool, and that was after missing 45 superhero movies and whatnot

The only reason I kind of 'liked' Deadpool was due to the references to vintage pop culture (See: Sinead O' Connor and Ferris Bueller's Day Off at the end). However, the movie clearly showed how little fucks Fox gives about Marvel. They just did it to fulfill their contract, pretty much like the latest Fantastic Four movie. When they don't care, they really don't care.

Just now, DoomedRaven said:

The only reason I kind of 'liked' Deadpool was due to the references to vintage pop culture (See: Sinead O' Connor and Ferris Bueller's Day Off at the end). However, the movie clearly showed how little fucks Fox gives about Marvel. They just did it to fulfill their contract, pretty much like the latest Fantastic Four movie. When they don't care, they really don't care.

Thats the feeling i got, even so imo the movie was quite successful compared to other releases from the genre that got buried in the "oh, this bs again" wave

3 minutes ago, kloneman said:

Nicholas Cage and Sean Connery in The Rock was a masterpiece alongside other Cage films of the 90s, such as Con Air, Face/Off and Gone in Sixty Seconds (which was actually released in 2000, but a great film never the less).

I agree with you. Nicholas Cage, despite his overacting due to his studies being mostly based for theater acting, was a sublime actor. Con Air, Face Off, Snake Eyes, just to name a few. He stood off in Snake Eyes to me for some reason...Maybe it was because of Gary Sinise's performance.

Black Mass with Johnny Depp portraying Whitey Bulger quickly became one of my favorites after watching it in the theaters and since then I've been a big Depp fan.

Secret Window, What's Eating Gilbert Grape, and especially Blow also contributing to my favoritism towards him

And I suppose the first Pirate movie wasn't terrible, but they really need to quit ruining movies with endless sequels 

@RedHairedShanks

You should see One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. A very deep and emotional movie. It was Jack Nicholson's first major movie role, and it is a cruel analogy of how institutions always try to 'sink' those who try to stand out and make the difference.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/28/2016 at 7:34 AM, DoomedRaven said:

Although I am not a huge fan of the contemporary film industry (00s), there are still some neat classics like Donnie Darko, the Harry Potter franchise and some Tarantino's masterpieces. However, we can all agree that the film industry's true forte was back in the 20th century, where film makers were experimenting and things were at least LESS commercial than they are now.

I have a similar opinion on that. Today's film industry is out of ideas, of course there are some exceptions but most of the stuff is not that good. And yes, some of the big media corporations have really commercialized some things too much. For instance, look at the business models Marvel and DC have come up with. Unnecessary sequels of comic hero movies, prequels for the same movies, mashup of all heroes in a common movie and then even sequels to those movies as well. They have not even left TV and have come up with spin off series and what not. 

On 6/28/2016 at 7:34 AM, DoomedRaven said:

For me, it has to be Stanley Kubrick. The man was basically a prodigy who was way too ahead of his time. Vindicated by history, his films were not as appreciated back then as they are now. Not that his films were too pretentious, but his intellect and his ideas were captured in such a flawless way that people had a tough time getting the hang of the film (Read: 2001: A Space Odyssey and its incomprehensible last third of the movie) or they were dealing with subjects people were not happy with (See: Dr. Strangelove and how it depicted politicians as completely incompetent, something that is absolutely true nowadays). My favorite movie would have to be either The Shining (flawless shots, impeccable acting (Danny Lloyd and Jack Nicholson, sorry Shelley Duvall), some fantastic music and extremely eerie and unsettling atmosphere with one of the most fucked up endings in history) or A Clockwork Orange (perfect depiction of how broken beyond repair society is at this poin).

+1 for that. Huge Kubrick fan here. My favorite Kubrick movie has to be 2001: A Space Odyssey. This is exactly what you get when you add the best futurologist and best director of 20th century together. Go read some more by Clarke and see how great of a writer he is. Although I personally think, out of all Kubrick's 13 feature films, Dr. Strangelove is the most loved by the audience. 

Other than that, I guess some of my favorite movies from the 20th century would be: John Carpenter's The Thing, Tarkovsky's Solaris, My Neighbor Totoro (tbh anything by Miyazaki/Studio Ghibli), Grave of the Fireflies (once again anything by Studio Ghibli, directed by Takahata, co-founder of Studio Ghibli), Ridley Scott's Blade Runner and Alien, Terminator series and a lot more which I can discuss later on.

Favorite directors would be Andrei Tarkovsky, Kubrick, Woody Allen,Satyajit Ray, Coen Brothers.

Akira Kurosawa has been on my list for a long long time, I am yet to see a movie by him. I need to pick one and watch it sometime. Also need to watch more stuff by Hitchuguu and Ray.

Sharknado is easily the best of the trilogy, Sharknado 3 is better than the second because of the cameo by Frankie Muniz, and Sharknado 2 is easily the worst, but not bad.

Of the Mega Shark vs "Insert giant thing here" series, the Mega Shark vs Giant octopus is the best with scenes like

Spoiler

Mega Shark vs Crocosaurus is easily the worst of the four movies, but still worth the watch if you enjoyed the first. Mega Shark vs Mecha Shark ramps up the ridiculousness of the series and is just a wild ride, but the most ridiculous and obserd is Mega Shark vs Kolossus, the ancient Russian Mecha built to destroy humanity. If you haven't seen any of these, oh boy its a wild ride if you watch them.

Of the "# headed shark attack" movies, 3-Headed Shark Attack attack has better cameos, Rob Van Dam and Danny Trejo, but was boring compared to 2-Headed shark attack.

Ghost Shark is a ridiculous concept that I enjoyed. 

Shark Lake, the most serious and real of the movies listed above, actually falls flat because of a uninteresting and bad story, not enough sharks, and characters that are simply boring.

• 4 years later...
  • 5 weeks later...

w0w... not a single person mentioned Quinten Tarrantino? We have Paul Blart and over-acting Nicolas Cage, not a single Tarrantino master-piece?

i swear you people, other than the OP - have no taste in cinema at all. 

Pulp Fiction, True Romance, Jackie Brown, Kill Bill, Hateful Eight? Nothing? Shocking. 

This is why cinema is dying, not because of liberal white-washing & political correctness. But because people have become so dumbed down they'll be entertained by any piece of shit that is thrown at them, the Marvel movies are a prime example of that.

The Brilliant director Martin Scorsese, has expressed exactly the same. They're nothing but heartless cash grabs meant for the simple minded that actually enjoy these ill-written, poorly directed, & half ass acted garbage they try putting off as art, when in reality none of it is art, it's the opposite of art. It's kitsch. 

Side note; American Psycho is one of the greatest movies of all time, but does not do the book justice, likewise with The Shining & Fight Club. 

Edited by RealLifeAngel
On 12/9/2020 at 4:39 PM, axx said:

don't fall for the necro bot, mariahhhhhhhh

Oy, what do you expect from someone who raises from the dead every so often to shit post? 

With that said, Pet Semetary, the original of course

though the remake was decent. 

Edited by RealLifeAngel