Putting a end to endless stalling during tournaments

gbwead

Question

I propose a dual clause that would put a end to endless stalling.

Clause #1 : After 50/60 mins in duel, timer bonuses are reduced to X secs and there is the implementation of timer maluses of Y secs after Z consecutive switchs.

This would encourage players to stop switching all the time and use their pp. By forcing players to play fast, the chance that they make a mistake increases which could lead to a break through by the opponent.

Clause #2 : After 100 mins, the duel ends and whoever has the most hp on his pokemons is considered the winner.

By combining clause #1 with clause #2, players are encouraged to use their pp in order not to lose too much time on their timer and in order to damage the opponent enough so that they have more hp after 100 mins.

7 answers to this question

57 minutes ago, GeneralVenican said:

this should be by % and not total hp, cus then someone can just bring hp walls and stall to 100min easy

I mean shuckle has less hp than manectric or any other sweeper. Also these 100 minute stall matches aren't all that common and typically both people are running pretty defensive teams (four walls or more), so its not like one person will be at an inherent advantage over the other person if they're both running walls with instant recovery.

Either way Darkshade said it's gonna be fixed with the next update, I'm kinda enthusiastic about it. This UU tournament lasted for over 4 hours (!!) because of 2 stall battles from which one actually ended and there was some progress in it instead of dumb switching 95% of the time like it happened in second one. Yang probably fell asleep waiting for his opponet.

Edited by Pereiraa
Removed a reply to a hidden post.

I really enjoy playing 6 walls team, but I always make sure to bring either a spiker or a knock off user to avoid endless stalling. Stall players that stall just for the sake of stalling have usually no winning shot imo. You need a way to break through even on a stall team. PokeMMO should have a mechanic that prevent endless switches.

Edited by Munya
Removed removed content.

Well, the main problem in stall vs stall is, that even if they have wall-breakers, they are the ones that die first, letting the walls slap each other until whoever runs out of pp first. And as I said before in a similar thread, you either end the battle after a certain point (40-60 minutes) or just let them play forever. Introducing game-altering mechanics is not a good idea for two reasons:

-it creates new win conditions that have little or nothing to do with the games we are based on

-it is just an unclean way to shorten tournaments

I think the total time limit on a battle is a good idea, and it is already in place in VGC, where you have 15 minutes but way shorter battles. It also works really well in synergy with the existing player timer, as you cannot really stall by wasting time, but by making switches or attacking. Arguably, this creates the timer-win condition, but that is already existant in VGC. I just think two people holding the tournament back for an hour or more is something that needs to be looked into.

Edited by Pereiraa

Alright, 2nd try now that I have no direct quotation for removed content.

I just want to point out that stall to me is a legitimate playstyle and there definitely should be respect towards the players who like the Pokemon with the more defensive stats over the offensive ones. Playstyles should be respected instead of just wanting the matches go the fastest and the conveniently as possible. However, I do agree with this suggestion because there's a limit to everything. Tournament progression cannot be excessively damaged by having the whole bracket waiting for one match to end and therefor I agree with the suggestion. Some kind of a time-related limit has to be there because not even PP helps this problem because switching does not consume PP and therefor literally endless duels are a possibility.

Edited by OrangeManiac