Movie Review Thread

Noad

l3bYCIP.png?1

Hello all, I decided that I would like to make this thread to give people the opportunity to recommend or even criticise movies you have watched recently. When you feel like watching a movie you always ask yourself "What movie should I watch?" I know that I spend more time deciding what to watch than actually watching the movie itself! I feel like this thread could be used by the community to perhaps give others suggestions on films they would enjoy and ones to definitely swerve. Also it doesn't matter how old the film is because the chances are some people may not have watched it!

So next time you watch a move, feel free to post a short review about here. Also, just because someone else has given an opinion on the same movie before you dont be put off! We all have different likes and opinions. 

I will start us off with a movie I watched on Monday, feel free to ask me any questions.

*Please dont forget to add plot spoilers in spoilers*

Happy viewing!

colbert-popcorn.gif

tumblr_inline_mfx3ddEa3j1rd20bk.gif

Hush (2016)

Genre: Horror / Thriller

IMDb Link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5022702/

I came across this movie randomly on Netflix as it was under the Thriller category, I usually never watch Horror and if I had known prior to starting the movie I probably would not have watched this. It is a very low budget independent film with limited release but it is actually really creepy. I liked how the director and actors went for the "less is more" approach, as someone who doesn't have the stomach for a lot of gore. 

The premise of this movie is basically a deaf woman who lives on her own who is terrorised by a psychopath who is trying to get into her house. It's a cat and mouse game throughout the whole movie with lots of tense scenes and the fact that she is deaf puts a twist on the whole over done concept. 

Overall, this sort of movie is not my cup of tea but it definitely had some genuinely creepy moments. It's definitely one worth watching if you have Netflix but I perhaps would not recommend going out and buying it specially. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

@Noad sounds like "wait until dark" with a deaf girl instead of a blind Audrey Hepburn.

and i'll do one. 

whisky tango foxtrot

B+

TL:DR normal girl goes to Afghanistan to be a reporter and has no idea what she is getting into and it changes her. meanwhile you learn a lot about the war in Afghanistan from a view you have probably not seen before.

might do a more in depth one later with *some* spoilers.

• 9 months later...

Film: Dunkirk

JJ Rating: 7.5/10

Spoiler

An incredibly detailed film that relies on the suspense created by the master mind himself, Christopher Nolan. Unfortunately, for the majority of the film you find your nails dug deep into the fake leather movie theater seats as you cringe and await one disaster after another. 

If you love war movies, go see this film. If you aren't that big on historical dramas, don't go. You'll leave feeling confused and down right sick to your stomach from nearly 2 hours of anxiety. 

Film: Baby Driver

JJ Rating: 8.5/10

Spoiler

If you're looking for a movie that is just a little bit different from the norm and set to a killer soundtrack, this is your ticket. Beautifully drawn out, the story continues to drag you deeper and deeper as you bond with each and every character. Well, except for my boy Shane (Jon Bernthal) from the Walking Dead. This movie would get 9 on the JJ Rating if they didn't give him a mere 5 minutes of shine. 

As the movie progresses you don't know what to feel, but one thing is clear, Baby is making bank and he has the dopest job in crime. At the climax you simply don't give two cents whether it fits or not, simply because the action is impressively perfect. 

Leaving the theater I had one thing on my mind: I need Jon Hamm's haircut like right meow. 

4 hours ago, DoubleJ said:

Film: Dunkirk

JJ Rating: 7.5/10

Reveal hidden contents

An incredibly detailed film that relies on the suspense created by the master mind himself, Christopher Nolan. Unfortunately, for the majority of the film you find your nails dug deep into the fake leather movie theater seats as you cringe and await one disaster after another. 

If you love war movies, go see this film. If you aren't that big on historical dramas, don't go. You'll leave feeling confused and down right sick to your stomach from nearly 2 hours of anxiety. 

Agreed with the Dunkirk review.

I'm quite the Christopher Nolan fanboy, but this movie was not for me. Just war scene after war scene that dragged you through the movie. 20 minutes before the end i was already looking at my watch. The lack of dialogue made the movie sorta incoherent, you couldn't really sympathize with any character because there was a lack of character depth/development etc.

I'm not saying it was bad, it was just not for me.

5 hours ago, Tranzmaster said:

Agreed with the Dunkirk review.

I'm quite the Christopher Nolan fanboy, but this movie was not for me. Just war scene after war scene that dragged you through the movie. 20 minutes before the end i was already looking at my watch. The lack of dialogue made the movie sorta incoherent, you couldn't really sympathize with any character because there was a lack of character depth/development etc.

I'm not saying it was bad, it was just not for me.

My roommates assessment: I didn't know who was who. They all looked the same!

Spider-Man Homecoming 

@RysPicz

Moemoe score 8.5/10

Pro:

Characters are all likable 

Villian isn't just the typical "I'm evil, I must take over the world" type

Good pacing

Good character development for Main character 

Robert Downey Jr Iron Man

Con:

"MJ" is awkwardly awkward 

Not much interaction between Peter and love interest. Even less between Spider-Man and love interest 

Multibillion suit gets hacked by high schoolers

Multibillion plane gets hijacked by villain

Final fight scene is too flashy and gave me a headache 

1 hour ago, Moetal said:

Con:

Multibillion suit gets hacked by high schoolers

Multibillion plane gets hijacked by villain

for the argument of "but it's a multi billion dollar plane it must be different!" if it was different it would not be able to land at airports.

on the topic of iron mans suit and game theory. the level of complexity of the iron man suit requires that he outsources at the very least most of the programming. programming takes as long as it did in the 70's, however nowadays people copy paste other peoples code to make larger programs possible. otherwise facebook or google would have taken decades to program from scratch. iron man suit is very complex. their is no way one person could program it from scratch. it has been programmed in a sort time therefore some of the code in it is not tony starks. when you hear about exploits, they do not effect a single program but often many programs that share some copy pasted code. even if you assume tony stark is literally perfect and none of his code could possibly be hacked(cause that aint bs) you KNOW that some of that copy pasted code has exploits. it's just a manner of finding them.

14 minutes ago, fredrichnietze said:

for the argument of "but it's a multi billion dollar plane it must be different!" if it was different it would not be able to land at airports.

on the topic of iron mans suit and game theory. the level of complexity of the iron man suit requires that he outsources at the very least most of the programming. programming takes as long as it did in the 70's, however nowadays people copy paste other peoples code to make larger programs possible. otherwise facebook or google would have taken decades to program from scratch. iron man suit is very complex. their is no way one person could program it from scratch. it has been programmed in a sort time therefore some of the code in it is not tony starks. when you hear about exploits, they do not effect a single program but often many programs that share some copy pasted code. even if you assume tony stark is literally perfect and none of his code could possibly be hacked(cause that aint bs) you KNOW that some of that copy pasted code has exploits. it's just a manner of finding them.

Hacking and hijacking are easy. The point was they were able to do it without alarms going off/getting found out. Hell, I can hack your computer and network right now if I want to, but it's not worth the effort nor am I sufficiently skilled enough to not leave traces.

4 minutes ago, Moetal said:

Hacking and hijacking are easy. The point was they were able to do it without alarms going off/getting found out. Hell, I can hack your computer and network right now if I want to, but it's not worth the effort nor am I sufficiently skilled enough to not leave traces.

that was a long well thought out response and your answer tells me you are dismissing it without even knowing and understanding what i said. if you can not admit when your wrong or believe that you can be wrong then you will never learn or grow as a person. you'll live in your own twisted reality like a flat earther. it doesnt matter if your right or wrong, what matters is the truth.

17 minutes ago, fredrichnietze said:

that was a long well thought out response and your answer tells me you are dismissing it without even knowing and understanding what i said. if you can not admit when your wrong or believe that you can be wrong then you will never learn or grow as a person. you'll live in your own twisted reality like a flat earther. it doesnt matter if your right or wrong, what matters is the truth.

I have trouble reading a giant block of text without any capitalization.

Did I dismiss what you said? I clearly acknowledged a multi billion plane can be hijacked, but I noted that it is very unlikely to be undetected.

Get off your high horse.

Edited by Moetal