How to improve social aspects of automated tournaments

BlackJovi

Question

Automated tournaments are pretty boring really, it just feels like im playing matchmaking (no hype at all), so I was thinking about ways to make it better and I would like to see everyone's opinion about it. 

Let's brainstorm some ideas together to try improve the social aspect which is currently making automated tournaments dull and boring for the majority of the comp community. 

Spoiler

kay talked me into this 

12 answers to this question

The solution is simple (not from a coding standpoint, obviously, but from a conceptual standpoint)- when a match starts, everyone spectating that match should be whisked away to the same arena where the two battlers are. There, everyone would share a normal and shout chat, and it would give that "competitive arena" feel that we got from Silph back in the day. Concerns may be that "the game would look dead if everyone spectating tourney's was whisked away to another arena" but I think a system message alerting the playerbase to the tourney and to the arena could help solve that.

Just now, Gunthug said:

The solution is simple (not from a coding standpoint, obviously, but from a conceptual standpoint)- when a match starts, everyone spectating that match should be whisked away to the same arena where the two battlers are. There, everyone would share a normal and shout chat, and it would give that "competitive arena" feel that we got from Silph back in the day. Concerns may be that "the game would look dead if everyone spectating tourney's was whisked away to another arena" but I think a system message alerting the playerbase to the tourney and to the arena could help solve that.

My only problem with this, you're still isolated to the one battle. Back in Silph co, I'd be watching someone, then randomly see a lot of hype in chat and go to the game they were watching to see what's going on.

Wouldn't a nice solution be a "Tournament chat" Just like how global was, every channel can see it and this chat only is available when an automated tournament is going on. This way you can see still all the hype from other matches and go check that one out. And everyone can still talk to eachother, so you still have that community feel.

21 minutes ago, KaynineXL said:

My only problem with this, you're still isolated to the one battle. Back in Silph co, I'd be watching someone, then randomly see a lot of hype in chat and go to the game they were watching to see what's going on.

Yeah I feel like my solution would probably work best if accompanied by a Tournament Chat, as well as the ability to cycle through all the current matches in the tournament without being teleported out of the "spectators arena."

Imo, keep the current automated system as it is, but make sure that all the battlers are teleported to silph co which is where the audience is. That way no one misses a battle and that feel of non automated tournaments is still there.

For those devs that do read this, it might just be me, but as someone who builds their teams to make matches more enjoyable for the spectator, the system completely defeats that purpose because of the lack of spectatorship, which is why I usually don't play any of the automated tournaments nowadays. It's really important that you try and keep your playerbase because now if you look at the bracket, it's mostly just randoms everywhere and not to take away any player's credentials, but it's easy to get to semis or finals if you're facing plebs all the way. 

I personally like the idea that the battles are ported into Silph co, possibly on a new 'tournament' channel.

That way we could walk around and flick through the battles and I'd imagine people would gather there to do just that.

I would personally prefer being ported to the same area as everyone who chooses to spectate because that means theres a big crowd of people, to me that adds to the atmosphere of tournaments, having tons of people and tons of follower pokemon all together makes it feel way more lively and hype than just having a chat channel for the tournament

Like, Whether its when we click Spectate we get teleported to the room where people are battling or the battlers are teleported to Silph Co I don't really mind (although I would say Silph Co is nicer).

I mean, if devs were up to it they could chop shop Silph Co's first floor into another map similar to it without Stairs, fountain, kiosk, etc with just a bunch of couches and seats for people to spectate in for the duration of the tournament, to my knowledge it isn't really that hard to do

But yea, Tournaments do kinda feel disconnected compared to before, and the feeling of participating in a manually held tournament is way more hype than an automated one since I guess i'm so used to automated Match Making.