Pokemon Academy

DashBlacK

Question

This is a suggestion that can help newcomers to the game get more into the competitive scene. The idea is to basically have an in-game tutorial. And by this, I don't mean an in-game menu with a wall of text, but more like an optional quest. For example, we should utilise the in-game NPCs for this. We know that there is the Pokemon Academy in the second town of each game (Hoenn and Kanto) in Viridian and Rustboro. And both these schools appear before the first gym battle takes place. We can make it so that you can't get your Trainer Card without graduating from this academy. And since you don't have your Trainer Card, you won't be able to challenge gym leaders. This can allow new players to be educated on natures, IVs, EVs, etc earlier in the game and this would ease the transition into the competitive scene. Now, I haven't really worked how exactly it will work, but I was thinking that there could be a number of courses that you could take. For example a course on Natures, on IVs, on EVs, on breeding basics, breeding natures, breeding braces, type effectiveness, status moves, etc. Now, since a newcomer wouldn't really necessarily need to know ALL of this information, they could earn their trainer card after let's say completing the courses on type effectiveness, status moves/statuses, levelling up and evolution. Afterwards, they could return do some more courses on let's say Natures, IVs and EVs to earn like a Pokemon Diploma. Using this diploma, they could have maybe a higher encounter rate on everstones, and/or discounted price of vitamins at the BF for BP. Then they could go on to complete all the remaining courses to earn a Pokemon Ph.D which could reward them with discounted breeding braces, etc.

For that to work, the breeding braces lets say could cost 12k regularly without the Ph.D, but with it would cost 10k. Same thing with the vitamins, they'd cost more to buy without the Pokemon Diploma.

Now, I'm not exactly sure how the courses themself would work, but it really needs to be interactive rather than just a dialogue with an NPC.

Edit:

Ideas of courses:

Basic Courses - for Trainer Card:

- Type Effectiveness

- Status Moves

- Consumable Items (Potions, medicines, etc)

- Stat-enhancing items/berries

- Evolutions

Advanced Courses - for Pokemon Diploma:

- Natures

- IVs

- EVs

- EV-reducing berries

- Happiness

- Features about PokeMMO (GTL, chat channels, different types of chat, etc) (maybe a small discount for GTL fee with Diploma OR higher fee for GTL without diploma)

- Possible education about item pricing for GTL, etc.

- How to use Pokedex to figure out egg moves, how pokemon evolve, what EVs they give off, etc. ---> incentive for completing pokedex.

Intermediate Courses - for Pokemon Ph.D:

- Breeding braces

- Egg hatching

- Chain breeding egg moves

- Competitive Status Moves (substitute, spikes, swords dance, dragon dance, etc)

- Basic team building?

Edited by DashBlacK
add more info

12 answers to this question

13 minutes ago, BigShotJoe said:

Assuming this becomes a thing, I'm pretty sure "optional quest" and "required to get badges" don't work together.

As I said, all courses are optional :P

If you want to get badges and proceed with the story, you need to get trainer card. Maybe the basic courses will be a requirement for the story, but this is necessary to make it known to the trainer that this Pokemon Academy exists, and there are benefits to doing this quest.

If you want to buy braces at 10k instead of 12k, you need Ph.D

If you want to buy BF battle items like leftovers, Vitamins, Choice bands, life balls, etc at the current price you get the Diploma, otherwise they cost a bit more without them.

They could even easily add it into the game story and have Oak suggest you check out the Pokemon Academy after you deliver the parcel to him. It can be further enforced by the old man not letting you pass without your trainer ID, and he could then lead you to the front of the academy.

1 hour ago, DashBlacK said:

As I said, all courses are optional :P

If you want to get badges and proceed with the story, you need to get trainer card. Maybe the basic courses will be a requirement for the story, but this is necessary to make it known to the trainer that this Pokemon Academy exists, and there are benefits to doing this quest.

If you want to buy braces at 10k instead of 12k, you need Ph.D

If you want to buy BF battle items like leftovers, Vitamins, Choice bands, life balls, etc at the current price you get the Diploma, otherwise they cost a bit more without them.

In what way would the game be improved by requiring another task to get through the story without said task actually helping veteran players at any time in the game? Apart from helping players completely new to competitive play learn something they will only need to be told once, this has no actual benefits. Overall, I think it would be more of a hindrance than a boon.

19 hours ago, BigShotJoe said:

In what way would the game be improved by requiring another task to get through the story without said task actually helping veteran players at any time in the game? Apart from helping players completely new to competitive play learn something they will only need to be told once, this has no actual benefits. Overall, I think it would be more of a hindrance than a boon.

Sure, it may be a hindrance. But, everyday there are tons of questions in the channel chat asking how to do things that most active players (that usually use forums) already know how to do. As an MMO, there NEEDS to be a tutorial quest. To be completely honest, the Forums cannot be the place for newbies to look for help, it's simply not part of the game. I played RuneScape, and never looked at the forums. But I still knew how shit could be done because of the first quest being a tutorial that teaches the player, the basics. As you progress, there are other quests that teach you more and reward you with EXP, but those are always optional if considered a hindrance by people that may be making alts on RuneScape.

3 hours ago, DashBlacK said:

Sure, it may be a hindrance. But, everyday there are tons of questions in the channel chat asking how to do things that most active players (that usually use forums) already know how to do. As an MMO, there NEEDS to be a tutorial quest. To be completely honest, the Forums cannot be the place for newbies to look for help, it's simply not part of the game. I played RuneScape, and never looked at the forums. But I still knew how shit could be done because of the first quest being a tutorial that teaches the player, the basics. As you progress, there are other quests that teach you more and reward you with EXP, but those are always optional if considered a hindrance by people that may be making alts on RuneScape.

The battle with your rival and the guy that teaches you how to catch a Pokemon. Those are the basics of a Pokemon game. You have to remember that PokeMMO is built on top of another game. That game already has tutorials for the very basics. As for having an NPC somewhere in the game to teach you about EV's, IV's, and the such, it's simply not lore-friendly to have an NPC that, according to all accounts and measures, believes that the world of Pokemon is the real world explaining how to manipulate your Pokemon's growth to achieve certain goals. It's simply not immersive enough (though, how immersive can a Pokemon game really be?). The devs want nothing in the game that blatantly breaks the immersion without some sort of lore-friendly explanation.

On 22.06.2016 at 7:33 AM, BigShotJoe said:

The battle with your rival and the guy that teaches you how to catch a Pokemon. Those are the basics of a Pokemon game. You have to remember that PokeMMO is built on top of another game. That game already has tutorials for the very basics. As for having an NPC somewhere in the game to teach you about EV's, IV's, and the such, it's simply not lore-friendly to have an NPC that, according to all accounts and measures, believes that the world of Pokemon is the real world explaining how to manipulate your Pokemon's growth to achieve certain goals. It's simply not immersive enough (though, how immersive can a Pokemon game really be?). The devs want nothing in the game that blatantly breaks the immersion without some sort of lore-friendly explanation.

Welp if not tutorial for newbies then npc that not directly points to the EV training metod(still can be lore friendly). For example:

Spoiler

[Npc that point out about Effort values and how to gain them]

NPC A: After beating so many pidgeys my Nidoran seems to be faster than others, i wonder why...

NPC A: Maybe that's how much Effort you put in Pokemon training pays you back.

NPC B: I beat so many Heracrosses and look!

NPC B: My Pokemon seem to be much stronger than before!

[Npc that points out how to substract Effort values]

NPC C: I gave my Alakazam some of this Hondew berry...

NPC C: ... And his atacks seems to be weaker than before...

NPC C: ... I just wonder how this happened...

[Npc that point out IV]

NPC D: U should know that every Pokemon got it's hidden potential and not all Pokes are the same.

NPC D: One Zubat can be a lot stronger from the others.

NPC D: But in the same way same Zubat can be slower than others.

[Npc that point out natures]

NPC E: Look at my Meowth, he's so Jolly!

NPC E: He likes to fight so much that he always strike first!

4 hours ago, Qaztin said:

Welp if not tutorial for newbies then npc that not directly points to the EV training metod(still can be lore friendly). For example:

Hide contents

NPC A: After beating so many pidgeys my Nidoran seems to be faster than others, i wonder why...

NPC A: Maybe that's how much Effort you put in Pokemon training pays you back.

NPC B: I beat so many Heracrosses and look!

NPC B: My Pokemon seem to be much stronger than before!

[Npc that points out how to substract Effort values]

NPC C: I gave my Alakazam some of this Hondew berry...

NPC C: ... And his atacks seems to be weaker than before...

NPC C: ... I just wonder how this happened...

[Npc that point out IV]

NPC D: U should know that every Pokemon got it's hidden potential and not all Pokes are the same.

NPC D: One Zubat can be a lot stronger from the others.

NPC D: But in the same way same Zubat can be slower than others.

[Npc that point out natures]

NPC E: Look at my Meowth, he's so Jolly!

NPC E: He likes to fight so much that he always strike first!

First off, we already have NPC's that mention nature and hint at IV's. Second, that's all your suggestion would accomplish - hinting at them. They do not explain the system, nor offer any actual help outside of vaguely suggesting that there is some reward for killing a bunch of the same Pokemon and some punishment for giving the wrong item to your Pokemon. There is no way to explain the IV/EV system while remaining lore-friendly.

4 minutes ago, BigShotJoe said:

First off, we already have NPC's that mention nature and hint at IV's. Second, that's all your suggestion would accomplish - hinting at them. They do not explain the system, nor offer any actual help outside of vaguely suggesting that there is some reward for killing a bunch of the same Pokemon and some punishment for giving the wrong item to your Pokemon. There is no way to explain the IV/EV system while remaining lore-friendly.

That's where the Pokemon Academy quests come in. You have to remember, this game isn't Fire Red anymore. It's PokeMMO, a completely different game from Fire Red despite being based on it. Nothing wrong with modifying the story a bit in the beginning to add some necessary information in for newbies.

13 minutes ago, DashBlacK said:

That's where the Pokemon Academy quests come in. You have to remember, this game isn't Fire Red anymore. It's PokeMMO, a completely different game from Fire Red despite being based on it. Nothing wrong with modifying the story a bit in the beginning to add some necessary information in for newbies.

Tell me, how do you propose the NPC explains the intricacies, or even the basics, or EV's and how to train them without breaking the lore or seeming out of place? It's all good and well that the NPC you have in mind have a place to live, but how do they actually do their job?

Just now, BigShotJoe said:

Tell me, how do you propose the NPC explains the intricacies, or even the basics, or EV's and how to train them without breaking the lore or seeming out of place? It's all good and well that the NPC you have in mind have a place to live, but how do they actually do their job?

It's not out of place, you don't need to do all those courses to continue the beginning of the story. You can have Oak suggest that you go back to finish your diploma/Ph.D after E4. Even better, that could be made a requirement. At the beginning, you are able to do basic courses to get your Trainer Card, and it won't let you do the Diploma courses until you beat E4.

1 hour ago, DashBlacK said:

It's not out of place, you don't need to do all those courses to continue the beginning of the story. You can have Oak suggest that you go back to finish your diploma/Ph.D after E4. Even better, that could be made a requirement. At the beginning, you are able to do basic courses to get your Trainer Card, and it won't let you do the Diploma courses until you beat E4.

Sigh... I get that. It's not what I'm asking at all. Tell me how YOU would have the NPC explain EV's. Tell me how you want them to say it. Because if you can't think of a good way to make it seem lore-friendly and useful at the same time, I highly doubt the devs are going to implement it.

Edited by BigShotJoe