Implement Quests

ReddoKun

Question

Introduction

Ok, I don't know if anyone already said this or if it seems stupid but, I personally think that PokeMMO should make Quests.

Example

Camper Lily - Quest 1

*In a Quest Box*

Summary

Camper Lily lost her Jolly Female Marill in Route 120. Catch it and give it to her back.

Camper Lily - Route 119

Requirements To Complete

Jolly Female Marill

Reward

1,000 PokeYen

And just like that, You go find a Jolly Female Marill. There can also be Battle Quests and more.

QnA

Q: Why Quests though?

A: Because Quests can give reasons for NPCs to exists besides trading, selling, freebies and battling and some other stuffs i'm trying to think of.

Pros:

• Easier to gain money, Items and Exp if so

• Challanges players to do more.

• Make you busy and not get bored of the game.

Cons:

• It takes time to do so and require some scripting.

• It might take long to complete one quest depending on the requirements to complete.

Edited by ReddoKun

11 answers to this question

2 hours ago, Lazaro23 said:

I don't have a problem with that suggestion, but it takes less time to get 1k by beating a NPC than by catching that specific natured wild poke, just saying.

Maybe if the prizes increased as the more quests we completed

Seems difficult to balance as you will either have a less efficient way of making money, in which case people will just make money the same way they have been up till now, or,

Its more efficient and everyone just does quests and generates more money and causes inflation

If it was for something that was character bound and couldn't be converted to cash then sure, unique vanity items or methods of teaching Move Tutor moves etc then that could work

18 hours ago, Lazaro23 said:

I don't have a problem with that suggestion, but it takes less time to get 1k by beating a NPC than by catching that specific natured wild poke, just saying.

The prize is just an example.

Also, if this were to be done as a money generation method NPC payouts had to be revised, like i said in another suggestion.

3 hours ago, Matoka said:

Seems difficult to balance as you will either have a less efficient way of making money, in which case people will just make money the same way they have been up till now, or,

Its more efficient and everyone just does quests and generates more money and causes inflation

If it was for something that was character bound and couldn't be converted to cash then sure, unique vanity items or methods of teaching Move Tutor moves etc then that could work

Spoiler

atQXlRTntnPA4.gif

5 hours ago, Kailido said:

The prize is just an example.

Also, if this were to be done as a money generation method NPC payouts had to be revised, like i said in another suggestion.

Reveal hidden contents

atQXlRTntnPA4.gif

???

Do you have some kind of issue with me?

You have been a bit unreasonable in terms of what you have said to me and about me considering I have not done anything other than give my honest thoughts on things and just tried to let you know a forum rule, I don't particularly care if you want to continue acting like this, but just on the off chance you aren't aware, you really aren't giving anyone who reads anything you have written the impression of "Oh, what a nice guy this Kailido is"

Feel free to keep giving people the same impression of you, I don't particularly care, I just wanted to make sure you knew what you were doing is all.

1 hour ago, Matoka said:

???

Hide contents

Do you have some kind of issue with me?

You have been a bit unreasonable in terms of what you have said to me and about me considering I have not done anything other than give my honest thoughts on things and just tried to let you know a forum rule, I don't particularly care if you want to continue acting like this, but just on the off chance you aren't aware, you really aren't giving anyone who reads anything you have written the impression of "Oh, what a nice guy this Kailido is"

Feel free to keep giving people the same impression of you, I don't particularly care, I just wanted to make sure you knew what you were doing is all.

18 hours ago, Matoka said:

Well Matoka, to be 100% honest, Kalido's reaction was to be expected.

You talked about "something that was character bound" and "couldn't be converted to cash" but then as an example you give "vanity items" which can be converted to cash by selling them to other players and "methods of teaching Move Tutor moves" this can also be converted into cash: a player pays you to teach their pokemon a tutoe move, and then you give it back to them.

Just wanted to point this out. Please don't fight when someone has a reaction to your posts.

21 minutes ago, Pereiraa said:

Well Matoka, to be 100% honest, Kalido's reaction was to be expected.

You talked about "something that was character bound" and "couldn't be converted to cash" but then as an example you give "vanity items" which can be converted to cash by selling them to other players and "methods of teaching Move Tutor moves" this can also be converted into cash: a player pays you to teach their pokemon a tutoe move, and then you give it back to them.

Just wanted to point this out. Please don't fight shen someone has a reaction to your posts.

I say cannot be converted to cash in the sense of it doesn't add more cash to the economy and so does not contribute to possible inflation, neither being given a vanity item or allowing a new way to move tutor moves adds cash to the economy

and when i mention character bound things I refer to possibly vanity items given to you through the quest that CANNOT be traded, that is what I meant when i said character bound, such as a fishing quest giving you a vanity item of a fishing rod on your back that cannot be traded and can only be obtained by doing the fishing quest.

Edit:
Also, I am not fighting with anyone and if you can give me an example where I did fight with someone then please go ahead, otherwise please do not imply that I constantly fight with people, I wouldn't fight with people over something on a video game forum

16 hours ago, Matoka said:

This is bashing. Let me tell you why. You're not giving one single good point in your comment, you're just raising problems. You gave no credit to the idea, you just made it seem like some impossible job. But since you're too clueless to find context, just hold tight

Spoiler

tRC9GCV.png

He upvoted my post before making this one. He very likely saw your comment (which also you didn't say anything positive in it about my suggestion) that those suggestions deserved separate threads (the questing system and the dungeons, to which they did go along very well, that was actually the essence of my suggestion). So he thought about making the suggestion himself. 

Now i'll post here a chunck of text from my suggestion in the form of image

ZZ9R7Ck.png

I know that my thread is one and this is another, but both the OP and YOU have taken part of it. So you both probably saw the same. Give another read in the highlighted area. You'll see that it points out that if this kind of quest system gets implemented, NPC payouts should be revised, making so it doesn't really create "unbalance"

Now im gonna ask everyone to open this spoiler and tell me the difference between his first post in this thread and the highlighted area in the spoiler

Spoiler

TiFEnxb.png

To be fair, there is nothing in the suggestion of this guy addressing a possible inflation, but even considering that he didn't address it, he gave an example of 1k$ as prize, that's literally nothing if it's a daily thing, so where's the "unbalance" in this?

Don't even bother replying to this, i can play your game better than you can

You must be really fun at parties too

EDIT: In case you didn't notice, the "Unexistent Problem" that you need context to understand was the almighty "unbalance" of the quest system that you claim so much to be there

Edited by Kailido
12 minutes ago, Kailido said:

This is bashing. Let me tell you why. You're not giving one single good point in your comment, you're just raising problems. You gave no credit to the idea, you just made it seem like some impossible job. But since you're too clueless to find context, just hold tight

There is something called Constructive Criticism, there is a huge difference between bashing and pointing out something that can be improved upon.

Also what could I say that would be positive without simply saying what has already been said in the actual suggestion itself?

On 6/8/2016 at 7:56 AM, ReddoKun said:

Pros:

• Easier to gain money, Items and Exp if so

• Challanges players to do more.

• Make you busy and not get bored of the game.

There have already been a list of positives given by the @ReddoKun themselves, notice how I never once disagreed with any of these points, I guess technically yes I could have simply said "Yes I agree with all those pros" but I felt it was unnecessary and that since I never argued that these pros were not valid that it would be assumed that I agreed with them, I guess I should have been more obvious about that for you since you thought I was against this suggestion

I mentioned a potential con that he didn't list in his cons and gave constructive criticism on how it could be improved, to me that is by no means bashing because I am trying to help improve the suggestion not invalidate it

bashing to me implies that someone was out to nit pick every single issue with the suggestion, complain about them, call the idea terrible without actually trying to think of solutions to said issues and pretending that there are no benefits to the suggestion being implemented at all

Also no matter how intelligent someone is they can't just magic "Context" out of thin air if the person they are talking to doesn't provide any, so I don't see how someone could be too "Clueless" to find context that just didn't exist for them, I can't read your mind

Just now, Matoka said:

There is something called Constructive Criticism, there is a huge difference between bashing and pointing out something that can be improved upon.

Also what could I say that would be positive without simply saying what has already been said in the actual suggestion itself?

There have already been a list of positives given by the @ReddoKun themselves, notice how I never once disagreed with any of these points, I guess technically yes I could have simply said "Yes I agree with all those pros" but I felt it was unnecessary and that since I never argued that these pros were not valid that it would be assumed that I agreed with them, I guess I should have been more obvious about that for you since you thought I was against this suggestion

I mentioned a potential con that he didn't list in his cons and gave constructive criticism on how it could be improved, to me that is by no means bashing because I am trying to help improve the suggestion not invalidate it

bashing to me implies that someone was out to nit pick every single issue with the suggestion, complain about them, call the idea terrible without actually trying to think of solutions to said issues and pretending that there are no benefits to the suggestion being implemented at all

Also no matter how intelligent someone is they can't just magic "Context" out of thin air if the person they are talking to doesn't provide any, so I don't see how someone could be too "Clueless" to find context that just didn't exist for them, I can't read your mind

I was looking for a GIF of Shaq laughing while facepalming, but i can't find one, someone message me one pls

I highlighted something in the quote, i find it very interesting, because you did similar to those: nit pick on cons, thus only talking about them, and it wasn't constructive enough IMO, because again, there is no major inflation in his suggestion

Anyway, you say that now, but it doesn't change the fact that, regardless what you think it's unnecessary or not, some positive words are always necessary. So since you hardly give any, I also don't have any nice words for you. And this concludes my crusade in this thread

Did you really need context for that, since we've been talking about it since the start? Whatever.