Fee-Based Automated Tournaments

DoubleJ

Our competitive community is a small one and with that the assumption is made that it needs to expand, not only for the sake of competitive play, but also for the sake of increasing interest in this game as a whole. Introducing an entry-fee, no matter how small it may be, will add another obstacle to deter players from entering into one of the most successful aspects this game has to offer. In my opinion, an entry-fee does not benefit the game. There are numerous other money sinks that ensure there is no unnecessary inflation. For once the economy has felt stable, and thus this addition seems meaningless. 

With that said, I ask that the competitive players of this game boycott entry-fee based tournaments. This would show that we stand together with the hope that the removal of an entry-fee for tournament play would help to build the competitive community through a nurturing environment, rather than one that pushes back against its players. 

Just 'cause we can.

Wouldnt it be cool to have a 200k fee and a 12.8mil pot?

That's the original idea, I think. Huge prizes, without affecting the amount of system-generated cash that gets pumped into the game daily.

I think this 15k fee is only annoying becuase "it's a fee" and it only boosts the prize by so little.

But kyu has been pushing for the functionality to be tested, and perry is just the first one to have the balls to deal with these threads.

That said, the prize's math should add up to 2mil+sum of fees

4 minutes ago, Eggplant said:

Just 'cause we can.

Wouldnt it be cool to have a 200k fee and a 12.8mil pot?

Then introduce a 16-man tournament with a 200k entry-fee with all prize money going towards the pot + whatever they feel like pitching in. Don't "tack on 15k" per player for a 64-man doubles tournament where the bracket won't even fill without an entry-fee. 

I'm going to just close my argument with this, official tournaments should include a prize that is spawned rather than funded by participants. Any tournament that is funded by its participants should be considered an unofficial, and posted in the Unofficial Tournament event thread. Entry-fees are not fun and in my opinion don't support the competitive scene in any way. 

Current prize payouts seem fair imo, we don't need to "bump" these with our own money. 

To be fair, unofficial tournaments used to be so much bigger in this game. Not to mention those with entry fees. Making tournaments more frequent in almost any degree would be awesome. More casual automated tournaments such as one with a small entry fee would be pretty great.

This is stupid.

I don't see the interest to make entry fees for a pot since admins has Unlimited money and can Just create money for prizes.

Don't you think we already have a enought things to pay? Mail, gtl, breeding, tournaments. And what later ? Fees to log on? Fees to chat with friends? Please this is worst idea for ages. And if it works it will Just become common and tournaments Fees will go high for sure.

Totally against this idea and I am like JJ I'll Just ignore tournaments with entry Fees and I Just hope a big Majority of players will do aswell.

This said peace

I find it funny really, right now everyone is gonna complain, but eventually everyone will still enter those tournaments. Maybe not fill a bracket, but iirc last NU official also had like half a bracket that got a free first round. 

37 minutes ago, Ryuun said:

I find it funny really, right now everyone is gonna complain, but eventually everyone will still enter those tournaments. Maybe not fill a bracket, but iirc last NU official also had like half a bracket that got a free first round. 

Are you talking about the oceanic? Because if so there is more than 1 reason for a low turn out.

But if staff really wanted to test this they should have trialed it in OU since that is probably the only tier that can support entry fees + filling the bracket. As it is this seems like a way of discouraging newer players to the tier from wanting to enter as they know they aren't going to win and they will lose their entry fee. This will just result in an empty bracket and deterring people away from playing in an already underplayed tier.

Since the community has been pushing for less money sinks / barriers to entry for a very long time I feel as though adding entry fees onto tournaments is very detrimental if implemented in this way. I feel as though if this route is explored more in future the prize pool should be increased by slightly more than the combined entry fees as a way of staff feigning generosity and the shiny itself should be significantly better than average to increase the hype and make people actually want to play.

41 minutes ago, Rendiz said:

Are you talking about the oceanic? Because if so there is more than 1 reason for a low turn out.

But if staff really wanted to test this they should have trialed it in OU since that is probably the only tier that can support entry fees + filling the bracket. As it is this seems like a way of discouraging newer players to the tier from wanting to enter as they know they aren't going to win and they will lose their entry fee. This will just result in an empty bracket and deterring people away from playing in an already underplayed tier.

Since the community has been pushing for less money sinks / barriers to entry for a very long time I feel as though adding entry fees onto tournaments is very detrimental if implemented in this way. I feel as though if this route is explored more in future the prize pool should be increased by slightly more than the combined entry fees as a way of staff feigning generosity and the shiny itself should be significantly better than average to increase the hype and make people actually want to play.

Yeah i know there is more then 1 reason for the half filled bracket but my point is, if FREE tournament cant even get full bracket, how are they gonna get fully filled brackets with a entry fee tournament. Like you said probably the only tier that even can handle this would be OU. With the matchmaking update we saw that UU and NU are not as popular as we thought and it took a while before even matches where played, i mean have you seen the leaderboards of UU and NU? its almost sad.

Also i think this is gonna kill the encouragement for the newer players to participate and actually breed some comps so they can. The older/rich players probably dont give a f since they got boxes of comps and shit on the entry fee. Its a good way to kill the comp scene i guess, i don't see the logic in paying for something that was free at first and practically gives the same shit shiny. Which you cant sell to enter new tourney or breed more comps for example, i mean people got lives, you cant expect them to now also grind entry fee. It all seems like a bad idea to implement this.

Despite not being part of the competitive scene, I also think that adding (even more) entry barriers to PvP is not needed

Newer players/players that have reason to believe they can't win are more likely to skip tournaments like that.

Suggestion:

If you really think another money sink is needed, then (giving power to the people)

- add the option for anyone to create an auomated tournament, costing a fee (15k like for creating a team),

giving them all options to add to the event such as

- participation fee (from 0$-20k$ for example) with the option whether the fee goes to the price pool or to the creator of the event

- event time (one day to two weeks in advance)

- prices ("put" money, shinies, items into an event box where they are "locked" so participants know the price will be distributed afterwards)

And, while dreaming, I could also imagine adding auomated Catching Events in a similar way where each participants entry is also evaluated automatically 

Anything to lower the barrier (for anybody) to create (imo) fun events 

Edited by Anthrazit