Questions to Devs regarding shinies (Little rant)

LifeStyle

32 minutes ago, sephiroth1977 said:

Does things change when 100 people with 4000 hours plays for 100 hours? 

Is it more likely for them to find a shiny over 100 newbies playing 100 hours? 

Got a funny feeling its not "just math" then

Looking forward to your reply. Sorry for the hard question

It would still be "just math" to figure that out even if one was more likely than the other. 

Seems like people are caring way too much about a game of chance that is heavily against you than they should be. 

Shinies shouldn't matter.

1 hour ago, Darkshade said:

That's not a theory, it's just math.

100x100 = 10,000, which is 6000 hours more than the one person in the example with 4,000.

This makes one of the 100 users with 100 hours 60% more likely to encounter a shiny than the one with 4,000 hours.

According to the shiny mechanics, "how much does the game thinks you're botting you get a reduced chance."

Any 4k hours+ player would have at least done mindless grind once or twice (just for the sake of saying he AFKs a lot )in his gaming time, which made him look like a bot, reducing his chance to find a shiny.

Whereas almost none of the new players (100hrs)go through this. Hence no bot like behaviour, no reduction  in chance.

Let me make it clear, I don't have any problem with shiny being rare. Heck make it 1/100000 if you want and I wouldn't mind. The thing is it should be uniform for all.(not talking about donator status obv)

why does this game punish the  long time  players?

25 minutes ago, Bishav said:

Heck make it 1/100000 if you want and I wouldn't mind.

Don't give them any ideas pls.

Also. I've caught 2 shinies at almost 4k hours, with 200hours difference (I don't remember exactly tbh), you can say I'm quite a veteran from 2012, so am I really lucky, or instead of making a topic about no finding one I've spend time trying to find one? 

Who knows.

Good luck Lifie, u will find it someday :3

37 minutes ago, Bishav said:

According to the shiny mechanics, "how much does the game thinks you're botting you get a reduced chance."

Any 4k hours+ player would have at least done mindless grind once or twice (just for the sake of saying he AFKs a lot )in his gaming time, which made him look like a bot, reducing his chance to find a shiny.

Whereas almost none of the new players (100hrs)go through this. Hence no bot like behaviour, no reduction  in chance.

Let me make it clear, I don't have any problem with shiny being rare. Heck make it 1/100000 if you want and I wouldn't mind. The thing is it should be uniform for all.(not talking about donator status obv)

why does this game punish the  long time  players?

This ^

Long time loyal players who donate get treated like scum whilst newbies get all the rewards. 

Hows that fair? 

It should be equal. Long time loyal players should have the same benefits a new player has. 

Edited by sephiroth1977

To be honest, I highly doubt there is a significant difference(if any at all) in encounter rate for shinies for different people. Just play the game, if you get one, you get one, if you don't, you don't. I'm pretty sure what Kyu said was half troll anyway, the only thing I believe of what he did say is it's not static.

I totally agree with the idea that all players should have the same chance of encountering a shiny if they are old or new should not matter. It makes no sense that some can find shiny pokemon just by walking into the grass and others have to stay there for months without even 1 shiny. Even if they make the shiny rate harder than it is right now, it should be the same for all players unless they use something like donator status. Even then the benefit from the donator should be the same to all accounts and not different depending upon how new or old they are to the game. How does it make sense that you want to help out new players and keep them from quitting the game early, but would rather have long time loyal players quit due to this? Please clarify as I would like to know. I saw someone with 7 ot shiny pokemon the other day while I still do not even have a single one, the current state of shiny encounters needs to drastically be worked upon to make it more fair for all players, and not depending on # of hours played. If the devs think someone is botting then just simply ban them. Do not lower the shiny encounter rate for them. How does that even make sense? 

1. There is no form of 'permanent cursing', except with Admin intervention. When it's used, it's to monitor bots/botnets until we ban them a few days later.
  2. There isn't any weighting in favor of new players. You see more Shinies on new players because there are many, many more noobs than old players.
  3. The game's RNG is not rigged in a way where it thinks you're entitled to a Shiny encounter after a period of time. Some people will roll the dice for a day and get lucky, others will come up short for years.
25 minutes ago, Kyu said:
  1. There is no form of 'permanent cursing', except with Admin intervention. When it's used, it's to monitor bots/botnets until we ban them a few days later.

So will you have equal chance as a new person who has just begun the game to encounter a shiny even when you stick to the same spot and fish (act like a bot)?

To be more precise, it is the short term cursing that's the issue. While the new players don't do anything botlike. The old players have to endure certain things like shard hunting, ev training- which may pass of as bot like behavior. Hence get a reduced rate relative to a new guy in game.

Edited by Bishav
added content
45 minutes ago, Bishav said:

So will you have equal chance as a new person who has just begun the game to encounter a shiny even when you stick to the same spot and fish (act like a bot)?

For the majority of cases, yeah, it'll be about the same.

45 minutes ago, Bishav said:

To be more precise, it is the short term cursing that's the issue. While the new players don't do anything botlike. The old players have to endure certain things like shard hunting, ev training- which may pass of as bot like behavior. Hence get a reduced rate relative to a new guy in game.

That's not how "short term cursing" works.

32 minutes ago, Kyu said:

For the majority of cases, yeah, it'll be about the same.

That's not how "short term cursing" works.

So the system is intelligent enough to tell the difference between an actual bot and someone who is grinding, such as fishing over and over in the same spot shiny hunting?

4~ years and yet people are still asking the same questions and getting the same answers, obviously because they ain't the truth.
If you're in the mood to answer those questions why don't you tell us our shiny encounter rate ? like what is mine for example ? ( 1/1m ~  lol. )
Hate that individual shiny rate thing, that obviously promotes discrimination and discards equality.

4 minutes ago, Lazaro23 said:

4~ years and yet people are still asking the same questions and getting the same answers, obviously because they ain't the truth.
If you're in the mood to answer those questions why don't you tell us our shiny encounter rate ? like what is mine for example ? ( 1/1m ~  lol. )
Hate that individual shiny rate thing, that obviously promotes discrimination and discards equality.

Even the number of digits it is on average

1/X

1/XX

1/XXX

1/XXXX

1/XXXXX  <--- My bet

1/XXXXXX <--- Second bet

1/XXXXXXX

1/XXXXXXXX

Anything past that and I doubt shinies would be as common as they are

39 minutes ago, Lazaro23 said:

I'm sorry that I didn't give the answers that you want. Some people can, and will, get absurdly unlucky regardless of what they do. That's the nature of very rare, RNG-based encounters.

52 minutes ago, Matoka said:

So the system is intelligent enough to tell the difference between an actual bot and someone who is grinding, such as fishing over and over in the same spot shiny hunting?

I can't say "It works perfectly every time", but for the vast majority of cases, we don't see people punished for doing inherently grindy gameplay.

Edit; I doubt there's going to be much constructive conversation, so I'll be closing this now.

• Kyu locked this topic