PSL Season 5 Prediction thread

I'll get into more details I guess. Preseasons predictions and analysis - team by team!

UFO

- Maybe bought a bit too many players but depth is never bad when you pay 2-3k for most players when others cannot afford them. However, the issue everyone acknowledges is that does UFO have 8 starter caliber players? And that may be the fall of UFO. Bluebreath, Raaidn and Raptori kinda have to be perfect this season. If they won't, getting wins will be hard. Yetto and JIce also have to carry a lot.

The Mountain

- Will The Mountain get some redemption from the dreadful season 3? A little bit at least is my guess. JJ actually got a solid draft but got himself in a too big of a hole for having to grab 2kers in the end. This is what caused huge problems for Mountain in s3 but the overall draft looks alright. Yubel, Bowser, Kaynine, Toast, Sweet and Gypss are able to beat every player every round with a good game and most the aforementioned players are most likely favorites to win their matches (except Kaynine, kek). The last 2kers are a huuuge question mark. A little bit like The Legion last season, a lot of good and a lot of very questionable starter material who I haven't seen play a lot. However JJ didn't exactly overbid any of his good players. Predicting the biggest fall for The Mountain being too many ties in S5 if something will be.

The Raging Lions

- Will we get the first ever PSL repeat champions? We actually might. Lions might be the only team that I feel like has 8 starter worthy players with the ability to win any given round. The biggest questions are: Will Walpayer continue his dominance? Is Spaintakula worth all that DPP credits after a breakout season? Will cheaper predicted starters like DrCraig and Jay be able to carry? Easily the most cost-effective draft in all the PSL.

The Saiyans

- The Saiyans started their draft like last season. Staying in the sideline and in the end grabbing a team full of big names getting arguably one of the best draft in PSL history. However, this season The Saiyans simply lack the big names. First of all I don't think any DPP player is worth 25k especially gunthug. DPP Players are just way too equally good at least the top 5. That aside The Saiyans do have some quality names in their board such as Spartacus and yangsam which have a lot to carry this season. Names like Sebat, Gary, legacy, zeikooo I know can play but are they going to carry against the big starters of other teams? If these aforementioned 4 will have success The Saiyans could be very solid. I'm feeling like The Saiyans biggest thing to win is OU2 and UU2 matches.

The Heroes of Light

- Just like The Mountain, The Heroes of Light really want to turn the things around. The Heroes have some big names this season in their team like Nikhil, Forfi (I guess these two bribed Egg to be in the same team) and piata.  Rest of Heroes are solid with the ability to challenge anyone anytime. Eggplant has the kind of team that can win by a lot every week and lose by a lot every week due to fairly evenly strength team. That is good in PSL because ties are really hurtful.

Houndooms

- Despite snagging Frags with 30k Vector was able to get a long roster for himself. Vector has some quality starters and a lot of depth making sure inactivity will not be a problem this season. Art, timwaps, Sejuani are all top tier battlers and there a lot of black horses which if having success can get Houndooms far. The black horses are aftershocker, Havsha and sleepy which all went for really cheap but it's question if they can beat the big names. Like The Saiyans winning OU2 and UU2 matches are really crucial. It's also notable Houndooms have so much credits left for the season.

Gladiators

- Gluumac got in a deep hole for paying a lot (over 20k things each) for Des and Zeb. Gladiators fixed things by grabbing quality players in the late auction with bargain price. Can easily be one of the dark horses of this season. Really comes down to how well do everyone but the well known Zeb and Des play out. A lot of the other guys do have a lot of potential.

Dark Brotherhood

- Really evenly strength team which can go in a lot of ways. A lot of starters (7/8 of the team) I feel like are somewhat .500% caliber players but can reach .750 on a good season. Expecting Rendiz to carry in Doubles, the rest is highly questionable. How will the Frenchies have success? I know they can play but are they reliable enough to carry?

And guessing the order here:

1. The Raging Lions

2. The Heroes of Light

3. Gladiators

4. The Mountain

5. Dark Brotherhood

6. The Saiyans

7. Houndooms

8. UFO (sorry Greck, will you still play CS:GO with me?) 

edit: top kek I didn't even read these and I guessed top 4 the same with Zebra.

Edited by OrangeManiac
14 minutes ago, OrangeManiac said:

I'll get into more details I guess. Preseasons predictions and analysis - team by team!

1. The Raging Lions

2. nerds

3. lol

4. last place

5. don't matter

6. scrubs

7. who

edit: top kek I didn't even read these and I guessed top 4 the same with Zebra.

pretty great that UFO vs Lions is happening week 1, I actually really look forward to it.

I was pretty surprised to go for that many credits as well, to be honest. But I mean, can you put a price on a 7-0 regular season? Because given the current lineup of DPP players I don't really see where a loss is coming from (assuming spaint chickens out and asks to be benched again so he doesn't have to face me). I know for a fact that I was the most competitive pokemmo player to compete in the recent smogon DPP ladder tourney, except maybe Nik who I've beaten before and can beat again. Zebra, I dare you to bring a baton pass team against me (though based on your team's roster it seems like you'll be needed in like 3 other tiers aside from DPP)

good luck fellas, you're gonna need it. Keep sleeping on saiyans

5 hours ago, Gunthug said:

I was pretty surprised to go for that many credits as well, to be honest. But I mean, can you put a price on a 7-0 regular season? Because given the current lineup of DPP players I don't really see where a loss is coming from (assuming spaint chickens out and asks to be benched again so he doesn't have to face me). I know for a fact that I was the most competitive pokemmo player to compete in the recent smogon DPP ladder tourney, except maybe Nik who I've beaten before and can beat again. Zebra, I dare you to bring a baton pass team against me (though based on your team's roster it seems like you'll be needed in like 3 other tiers aside from DPP)

I'm a bit skeptical of these undefeated records. A lot of them seem to be just because of repeated easy match ups. I mean spaintakula had many easy matches and even vs robofiend. Dpp was definitely lacking last season and some teams made attempts to compensate by focusing more on it (me getting subbed into dpp later into season, bowser getting bought during mid season draft for dpp) and I think there's generally more effort and thought into dpp this time around. I feel like there won't be any undefeated records in either of the showdown tiers this season. 

I attempted the dpp ladder tournament as well but only tried for two cycles. If I kept motivation through the entire week, I probably could have made it. I also doubt I'll try a baton pass team again, too many would expect it, although I bet it could work once or twice, if used sparingly.

8 hours ago, Gunthug said:

Hey, I didn't chicken out, I'm just bad with taking the spot for myself if someone else wants it too :( 

22 hours ago, OrangeManiac said:

1. The Raging Lions

2. The Heroes of Light

3. Gladiators

4. The Mountain

5. Dark Brotherhood

6. The Saiyans

7. Houndooms

i won't carry you anymore

Edited by Greck