Open World PokeMMO: Allow travel between regions via surf

Xatu

Question

So yeah give us a bunch of fake routes that allow us to actually surf to hoenn.  According to this map http://www.serebii.net/pokearth/

Hoenn is just west of the sevii islands and southwest of kanto in general.  We could have miles and miles of water between these for added realism and maybe some "unexplored islands" along the way.  Lets make things interesting too and not just have tentacools all the time.  The encounters on these fan routes could be all over the place.

This would aldo require us to take out alot of those rocks and barriors preventing us from leaving the predefined areas.

13 answers to this question

28 minutes ago, Pereiraa said:

But why would you want to waste so much time just to switch regions? 

A clear no from me.

Options.

Lets make things interesting too and not just have tentacools all the time.  The encounters on these fan routes could be all over the place.

Wouldn't really fit in with the world.

That said, I've thought about some open-world features myself - albeit a bit different to yours.

Also on that note, with your suggestion we'd still need to restrict them to badge number, making them a little redundant.

2 minutes ago, Darkshade said:

Options.

If traveling by surf was optional there would be no problem but making it surf only would just be a rather waste of time. Changing regions has to be a quick thing, that's why in the original games boats are used /most of the times/. 

Just now, Pereiraa said:

If traveling by surf was optional there would be no problem but making it surf only would just be rather a time waste. Changing regions has to be a quick thing, that's why in the original games boats are used /most of the times/. 

It would take a larger amount of time, but provided the maps were done correctly it would add to the regions feeling like part of the same world/make the world feel bigger as a whole; which is what I believe Xatu was getting at.

Is it worth the development time right now? Probably not, due to no real benefit.

Just now, Matoka said:

So we are all talking about this as a possibility, yet the ability to fly between regions isn't even considered?...

Neither the ferry system nor a flypoint add anything to the game. It just makes it more convenient for you to move around. If I wanted to do map-based traveling for regions, it would be used to unlock the ability to flypoint/ferry, not replace them.

imo sounds cool, more content, new routes w trainers...maybe an island w + trainers ans sum content??

if we going to add a dive route can you add febbas there w a low rate?? (I want to fill ma ot dex lol)

55 minutes ago, Kyu said:

Neither the ferry system nor a flypoint add anything to the game. It just makes it more convenient for you to move around. If I wanted to do map-based traveling for regions, it would be used to unlock the ability to flypoint/ferry, not replace them.

I guess that makes sense.

I just hope it, if it was ever added, would be a little custom story where we have to progress through to reach the other region.

Would also be interesting in a creation sense due to the fact it would have to be able to be traversed both ways, normally most caves and in game map puzzles only work if you are travelling in one direction.