Jump to content
  • 0

New Abilities


dastan

Question

Hi, i was just wondering given that we are already playing with a 4th gen meta ( waterfall physical etc ) including item like life ball, switch choice band etc if it would be possible to get some new abilites from 4th generation >  Adaptability, No guard, Anger point, filter, frisk etc , you see my point.

 

Could allow to see fresh things maybe without disturbing the current meta.

 

Cheers

Link to post

24 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
9 minutes ago, dastan said:

Hi, i was just wondering given that we are already playing with a 4th gen meta ( waterfall physical etc ) including item like life ball, switch choice band etc if it would be possible to get some new abilites from 4th generation >  Adaptability, No guard, Anger point, filter, frisk etc , you see my point.

 

Could allow to see fresh things maybe without disturbing the current meta.

 

Cheers

I completely agree that new abilities (and moves, while we're at it) would be fantastic for our meta. However, you've seen what they had to do to the items to get them in (change their names, so theyre basically different items that just happen to have similar effects). I don't think it's feasible to go in changing every single ability's name so that it's slightly different but the same, just for copyright purposes. So I'm not optimistic that we'll get these anytime soon :(

Link to post
  • 0
29 minutes ago, Matoka said:

They could always make it so that another ROM was required, such as a Platinum ROM so that they had access to assets from them, so we wouldn't have to resort to Sneaky Pebbles

Why make another ROM required when SoulSilver is already used for follower sprites and is Gen 4 anyways?

Link to post
  • 0
33 minutes ago, Argorok2017 said:

Why make another ROM required when SoulSilver is already used for follower sprites and is Gen 4 anyways?

HeartGold & SoulSilver / Gold & Silver are generation 2. Diamond, Pearl & Platinum are generation 4.

Link to post
  • 0
1 minute ago, Pereiraa said:

HeartGold & SoulSilver / Gold & Silver are generation 2. Diamond, Pearl & Platinum are generation 4.

lol wut this is a joke right?  HS/SS is definitely gen 4.

Link to post
  • 0
1 minute ago, Xatu said:

lol wut this is a joke right?  HS/SS is definitely gen 4.

Wow I completly got confused there. 

 

I don't know what I was thinking. Yeah GHSS is gen 4, I think I was thinking on a region sided thing, nevermind.

Link to post
  • 0
Just now, Pereiraa said:

Wow I completly got confused there. 

 

I don't know what I was thinking. Yeah GHSS is gen 4, I think I was thinking on a region sided thing, nevermind.

Haha np man it happens to us all.  xD 

Link to post
  • 0
45 minutes ago, Argorok2017 said:

Why make another ROM required when SoulSilver is already used for follower sprites and is Gen 4 anyways?

The reason is the word "Required", HG/SS are optional currently. The game allows you to play without them, meaning we cannot use anything that is not available in the FR/LG ROMs

Link to post
  • 0
3 hours ago, Matoka said:

The reason is the word "Required", HG/SS are optional currently. The game allows you to play without them, meaning we cannot use anything that is not available in the FR/LG ROMs

Yet most of the ppl in this game already have HG/SS, so why bother making everybody download another ROM when most of the people who play this game already have the ROM that would be used?

Link to post
  • 0

I believe the problem with requiring another ROM or using anything taken directly from Gen 4 games is that Nintendo still has an active copyright on those games an their content. Requiring a Gen 4 ROM would infringe upon that copyright.

Link to post
  • 0
16 hours ago, BigShotJoe said:

I believe the problem with requiring another ROM or using anything taken directly from Gen 4 games is that Nintendo still has an active copyright on those games an their content. Requiring a Gen 4 ROM would infringe upon that copyright.

You are misunderstanding, Pokemmo operates as the only thing Pokemmo provides players with is the client, they do not provide any of the assets from Fire Red or Leaf Green, meaning that all plays are infringing copyright however it is too difficult to track down each player and Pokemmo is not liable for them breaking copyright so they are able to keep hosting the game.

 

Requiring another rom would not infringe copy right for Pokemmo for the same reasons, it would just mean we were pirating another game, also technically speaking as long as you owned the game you are legally allowed to download the rom as you have already purchase the game from nintendo.

 

The only reason they are hesitant to add 4th gen ROMs is (Correct me if i'm wrong) because we haven't finished all the 3rd gen content yet and also they want to require as few ROM's as possible for as long as possible.

Link to post
  • 0
4 hours ago, Matoka said:

You are misunderstanding, Pokemmo operates as the only thing Pokemmo provides players with is the client, they do not provide any of the assets from Fire Red or Leaf Green, meaning that all plays are infringing copyright however it is too difficult to track down each player and Pokemmo is not liable for them breaking copyright so they are able to keep hosting the game.

 

Requiring another rom would not infringe copy right for Pokemmo for the same reasons, it would just mean we were pirating another game, also technically speaking as long as you owned the game you are legally allowed to download the rom as you have already purchase the game from nintendo.

 

The only reason they are hesitant to add 4th gen ROMs is (Correct me if i'm wrong) because we haven't finished all the 3rd gen content yet and also they want to require as few ROM's as possible for as long as possible.

But that brings us back to why they changed the names of Gen 4 items. Was there a reason for that? Certainly.

Link to post
  • 0
2 hours ago, BigShotJoe said:

But that brings us back to why they changed the names of Gen 4 items. Was there a reason for that? Certainly.

Because those gen 4 items are gen 4 items and the gen 4 ROM is not required, as I have said before, they cannot use anything that is from a non-mandatory ROM, AKA they cannot use anything not contained inside a Firered / Leafgreen ROM.

Link to post
  • 0
On 22/5/2016 at 11:49 AM, Gunthug said:

I completely agree that new abilities (and moves, while we're at it) would be fantastic for our meta. However, you've seen what they had to do to the items to get them in (change their names, so theyre basically different items that just happen to have similar effects). I don't think it's feasible to go in changing every single ability's name so that it's slightly different but the same, just for copyright purposes. So I'm not optimistic that we'll get these anytime soon :(

It'd be fun if they made a forum event to rename all the new stuff though.

We could always use Touhoumon names.

Link to post
  • 0
2 hours ago, Matoka said:

Because those gen 4 items are gen 4 items and the gen 4 ROM is not required, as I have said before, they cannot use anything that is from a non-mandatory ROM, AKA they cannot use anything not contained inside a Firered / Leafgreen ROM.

But the Swift/Special bands are not from Gen 3. They are items that were introduced in Gen 4. The replacements in PokeMMO have the same effects, but different names. Why name it something else if not for copyright reasons?

Link to post
  • 0
3 hours ago, BigShotJoe said:

But the Swift/Special bands are not from Gen 3. They are items that were introduced in Gen 4. The replacements in PokeMMO have the same effects, but different names. Why name it something else if not for copyright reasons?

If the HGSS rom was mandatory then those items you mentioned (Swift band, special band ect.) would not have gotten a name change, however because the roms are optional those items needed a name change due to not existing in any mandatory rom, hence the name change to avoid copyright.

Link to post
  • 0
1 hour ago, Kizhaz said:

If the HGSS rom was mandatory then those items you mentioned (Swift band, special band ect.) would not have gotten a name change, however because the roms are optional those items needed a name change due to not existing in any mandatory rom, hence the name change to avoid copyright.

If I understand this correctly, you're saying that the name was changed because the devs are not legally able to create an item with the same name and effect of a Nintendo-licensed in-game item, right? If that's not what you meant, I'm completely lost.

Link to post
  • 0
11 hours ago, BigShotJoe said:

If I understand this correctly, you're saying that the name was changed because the devs are not legally able to create an item with the same name and effect of a Nintendo-licensed in-game item, right? If that's not what you meant, I'm completely lost.

That is exactly what he meant. they needed to make different names so we aren't infringing on copyright.

Link to post
  • 0
On 5/23/2016 at 9:56 AM, Matoka said:

also technically speaking as long as you owned the game you are legally allowed to download the rom as you have already purchase the game from nintendo.

This is not true and is a very common misconception. The main reason is because you are allowed only 1 copy of software for backup purposes only. The moment you started using it for playing pokemmo, you and I committed copyright infringement.

 

Staff will tell you I'm no lawyer, but I just spent an entire semester studying this shit.

 

To further advance my point:

this is from Nintendo's website:

 

Can I Download a Nintendo ROM from the Internet if I Already Own the Authentic Game?

There is a good deal of misinformation on the Internet regarding the backup/archival copy exception. It is not a "second copy" rule and is often mistakenly cited for the proposition that if you have one lawful copy of a copyrighted work, you are entitled to have a second copy of the copyrighted work even if that second copy is an infringing copy. The backup/archival copy exception is a very narrow limitation relating to a copy being made by the rightful owner of an authentic game to ensure he or she has one in the event of damage or destruction of the authentic. Therefore, whether you have an authentic game or not, or whether you have possession of a Nintendo ROM for a limited amount of time, i.e. 24 hours, it is illegal to download and play a Nintendo ROM from the Internet.

Edited by Gilan
Actually, even before we started using it for pokemmo, as when we downloaded the rom we weren't doing it with the intent and purpose of using it for backup
Link to post
  • 0
7 hours ago, KaynineXL said:

Happy birthday @Pereiraa.

 

Your present is a comment you can remove.

Thanks @KaynineXL you're the best fam.

 

Also I'm not sure if using other roms is viable or not, but I do think we shouldn't take adding other roms for granted. 

Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.