Book Thread

Post good book recommendations. I myself read roughly 400 pages of books a day due to my job !

My current favorite: The 6 of Crows

23437156.jpg

tldr; Young gang leader recruits people from his gang and other sources to pull of a impossible job.

Previous favorite: The Cabinet of Curiosities

39031.jpg

tldr; More twists and turns then deathnote&code geass combined. (undyingity and murder mysteryish)

Honorable mentions:

1127104._UY200_.jpg15021340._UY200_.jpg310756._UY200_.jpg17883726._UY200_.jpg

As noad posted I wouldn't be opposed to some sort of a pokemmo book club if we had enough people who enjoy reading.

Edited by Heimann

One book I highly recommend is Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro. It is a really emotionally driven and beautifully constructed piece of writing, it will definitely keep you awake at night thinking over the message of the book. It was adapted into a film a few years ago but you should definitely read the book first. 

The book I am reading currently is The Night Manager by John Le Carré. Recently there was a very popular BBC TV Series adaptation and I really wanted to read the novel before watching it. It is a spy novel set during/just after the Cold War and is not a type of book I have ever read before. I am currently a third of the way through and it is taking me much longer than usual to get through. I am determined to finish it but I think it will be one of those books that I never really think about again after putting it down. 

I hope this thread becomes popular because it would be pretty cool to do some sort of book club where we all read the same book and discuss at the same time. I've always wanted to do that!

HitchHiker's guide to the Galaxy is probably the only book I have willingly read in my own free time that wasn't an english class assignment, also without reading the movie.

Was pretty sick. I recommend it.

If you're already into H2G2, I hear Discworld series has similar humor. Yet to start it though.

what I'm reading:

41AVVhtHugL.jpg

what I'll read next

61Uoa0PEudL.jpg

fave book

414X21MUwdL._SX311_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

and id surelly check in if I you are down to some group reading

Edited by axx
ffs new forums
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

If you like spy stories and sorts, I highly recommend The 39 Steps by John Buchan.

The Thirty-Nine Steps is one of the earliest examples of the 'man-on-the-run' thriller archetype.

The story starts like this :

Spoiler

The novel is set during May and June 1914; war was evident in Europe, Richard Hannay the protagonist and narrator, an expatriate Scot, returns to his new home, a flat in London, after a long stay in Rhodesia, in order to begin a new life. One night he is buttonholed by a stranger, a well-travelled American, who claims to be in fear for his life. The man appears to know of an anarchist plot to destabilise Europe, beginning with a plan to assassinate the Greek Premier, Constantine Karolides, during his forthcoming visit to London. The man reveals his name to be Franklin P. Scudder, a freelance spy, and remarks that he is dead, which holds Hannay's attention. Scudder explains that he has faked his own death in order to avert suspicion. Scudder claims to be following a ring of German spies called the Black Stone who are trying to steal British plans for the outbreak of war. Hannay lets Scudder hide in his flat, and sure enough the next day another man is discovered having apparently committed suicide in the same building. Four days later Hannay returns home to find Scudder dead with a knife through his heart. - from wikipedia

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/29/2016 at 3:15 AM, Rigamorty said:

Just finished the third book in a series i didn't realize was unfinished. went to order the next book only to find out it doesn't release until october. I'm pissed.

Finished the 4th book in this same series thinking it was gonna be the last considering it was supposed to end at 3 but no this stupid asshole decided there's gonna be a 5th book so no i'm probably looking at 2 years of waiting for this shit.

someone tell me some good High Fantasy types of books to read.

On 11/17/2016 at 0:55 AM, Rigamorty said:

Finished the 4th book in this same series thinking it was gonna be the last considering it was supposed to end at 3 but no this stupid asshole decided there's gonna be a 5th book so no i'm probably looking at 2 years of waiting for this shit.

someone tell me some good High Fantasy types of books to read.

Try the gentleman bastard series, I started the first book "the lies of locke lamora" about a week ago and it's pretty damn good. I've always been a big fan of the "thieves" archetype, and this series seems to be right up that alley 

1 hour ago, Gunthug said:

Try the gentleman bastard series, I started the first book "the lies of locke lamora" about a week ago and it's pretty damn good. I've always been a big fan of the "thieves" archetype, and this series seems to be right up that alley 

I actually just ordered a the first book in a series called The Powder Mage because I've been super into flintlock fantasy lately.

Also if your looking for thief/assassin type shit read The Night Angel by Brent Weeks. Probably my favorite series of all time and the series I've been referring to this whole time is another one by him called The Lightbringer. 

To kill a mockingbird is my favorite book :)

Edited by Summrs
According to all known laws of aviation, there is no way a bee should be able to fly. Its wings are too small to get its fat little body off the ground. The bee, of course, flies anyway because bees don't care
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...