Fishing

1 hour ago, Rigamorty said:

that's a good point you brought up for conversation, how does everyone else feel about this kinda thing?

I've never eaten or even killed anything i've caught, I always just catch and release. I know it may seem almost cruel, but yeah, like I said in the OP, it's a sport dammit.

I typically eat what I catch provided its big enough for me to not lose my license/get some kind of fine for keeping it.  Its not all about the food for me though, I have thrown things back i could have kept, and in general I fish to fish, not to eat.  I could go fishing knowing before hand that I would catch nothing and still be fine with going.  It isn't about catching the fish for me, though, it is quite fun when you do.

See I have no trouble stabbing a fish through the face with a hook then dragging it onto land by its wound, but I'm not really down for killing them.

Especially since fish tastes like ass so it's not like i'll eat it.

• 1 month later...

Went on that boat trip I posted about earlier in the thread yesterday. Had a ton of fun. You know it's a successful day of fishing when you're throwing back keepers. 

It wasn't exactly what I thought it'd be, I thought we were going farther out into the ocean, but we were kinda just off of Cape Cod (if any of you know MA at all) fishing for striped bass, but it was still a lot of fun. Having never fished from a boat before I had no idea what it was like to reel in a fish more than about 10-15 inches big, but the bass needed to be over 28 inches to even keep it. Biggest one I got was about 32 inches. My friend, who was the last person to catch one at all, caught a 37, which was the biggest of the day. Granted, my other friend's 10 year old brother, pulled up a 36 immediately after that. 

Here's me and the first fish I caught, was like 27 inches. Before anyone says some shit, the glove was to not get fucked up by the line while i was getting jiggy with it, not because i don't like to touch fish.

Spoiler

08JRBLH.jpg

Didn't care nearly enough to take another picture where I wasn't blinking. Although I might've just been squinting because I was facing the sun.

Edited by Rigamorty
  • 3 weeks later...

i found a small toed about the size of a M&M and it is legally considered fishing. the dog thought it was interesting and scary and i would show pics but the phone refused to zoom in on it and focus since it was so small and all the pics are blurry shit.

also found a couple snakes but im the only guy in the world who actually cares about snakes =/

Another cool story from me that is relevant to fishing: 

as a kid growing up, my parents weren't together. Not unusual. When I did see my dad every once in a while, we usually went fishing. Pretty much the only thing I remember doing with him ever since, he died when I was almost 7. I never met anyone on my dads side of the family except for my two uncles shortly after he passed. I always knew he had another son from another woman, my brother, whom id never met. Through the great science and technology that is Facebook I managed to find him a few months back. So for the first time in my nearly 21 years of life, just a few days ago, I got to hang out with my brother. We went fishing. Caught 3 really small striper, and one super ugly pogy. 

Edited by Rigamorty

Thats some nice looking fish, all of the lakes around here have been flooded for like, the last year and it hasn't been getting better.  That combined with its the hottest months of summer, I just haven't felt the urge to go out and fish.

13 hours ago, Munya said:

Thats some nice looking fish, all of the lakes around here have been flooded for like, the last year and it hasn't been getting better.  That combined with its the hottest months of summer, I just haven't felt the urge to go out and fish.

This has been a good summer for me so far. Finally pulled a few things out of the river on Main Street, which earlier in the thread I talked about not having done. The trip on the boat was great. And my brother showed me a couple cool spots around town to go. 

Also I finally put new line on my shitty pole that I bought at Walmart for like $20. The new line itself cost that much as well but it was soo worth it. Guy at the tackle shop was super helpful, told me my cheap pole was perfect for where I was, but the cheap ass line needed to be replaced, suggested a few different things. Got a really nice braided line. I can cast it like more than twice as far now, it never tangles, and the line actually stays tight. Never buying monofilament ever again. 

• 5 years later...

Hey,Please do not revive old threads here. The one you just posted in was a post from 2016. Thank you. (It was just a joke)

Did you catch this fish six years ago or this year? I think the pixels in this photo look sharp, I think this is this year's, Okay, anyway I hope you enjoy the fishing

But I I prefer to pick up plastic bottles or some hazardous garbage by the lake,It makes me happy, because I'm using my practice to make the environment better

Edited by Prande
1 hour ago, Munya said:

6 years?  wtf have we been doing

6 years oof *-*

Anyway, I'll be going to a carp pool within the next week so I'll post if I catch. Most pools over here you catch loads but this particular one is often a little more tricky(more rewarding though & bigger catches).

• 9 months later...
On 5/9/2016 at 1:44 AM, Rigamorty said:

Fuck you it's kind of a sport, it counts.

Weather is getting hotter and so am I, which means it's fishing season. Haven't caught shit this year, but I'll be damned if I don't pull something out of the river in the next couple months.

Discuss fishing.

I miss u