Expect the Unexpected (Big Brother Discussion - NA versions)

Woo! First day of Multimedia section and I already landed the big brother thread! I'm sure it was a heated race to be the first to post this

Big-Brother-Logo-1024x410.png

I fell in love with big brother for the same reason I fell in love with competitive pokemon. This grueling test of physical, mental, and emotional prowess is like chess, but with even more moving parts - many of which you cannot control (Yes, RNG is a huge factor in this game. Sound familiar?)

Figured it'd be cool to have a place for fans of the show to discuss the current seasons (BBCan is almost over, but BBUS18 starts in a little over a month!). Plus we can debate hotly contested topics like "best player of all time," "best player to never win," and of course, "reasons why the brothers are horrible this season."

Never heard of the show? Heard of it, but figure it's just reality TV garbage that's probably scripted? I had these exact same thoughts before my roommate at law school forced me to watch a couple episodes. I never knew, based just on preconceived notions, how competitive and fascinating the show could be. Here's the basic structure:

-Usually about 16 houseguests are confined to one giant, luxurious house at the beginning of the summer

-To start each week, a "head of household" is chosen from a massive, free for all competition. This HoH will get to nominate two people to go "on the block" - ie, theyll be voted on at the end fo the week and whoever gets more votes has to leave the house

-But wait, the nominees aren't dead in the water just yet. First, theyll play in a "power of veto" competition with 6 competitors total (2 nominees, the HoH, and 3 chosen by random draw). Winner gets a "power of veto" necklace, which can be used to save someone from the block.

-If someone is saved, the HoH must choose someone else to nominate in their place. Then, everyone in the house (except HoH and noms) cast their votes.

-Last two remaining in the house after all the HoH, veto, and voting ceremonies must vie for the votes from the Jury (the last 9 houseguests evicted) to be crowned champion. Prize in US is $500k, and a spot amongst BB royalty

If you wanna give the show a shot, most of the old seasons are on Youtube. I highly recommend season 6, season 7, and season 10

Edited by Gunthug

I'll start!

Best player(s) of all time: The holy trini-D, of course - Dr. Will, Dan, and Derrick. I think Vanessa had a chance last season to join those ranks but Steve Steve'd her late and ruined her legacy

Best player to never win: Queen Neda, Janelle, or Vanessa - Especially Janelle who got 3rd twice simply because she was too good to bring to final 2

Why do the brothers suck?: "I'd like to put myself on the block"

49 minutes ago, KaynineXL said:

I used to watch the UK version occasionally. I think it's pretty good.

I've never watched the UK version but I've heard it's very entertaining - I much prefer the US version though, since it's more competition and strategy based, and less of a popularity contest.

1 minute ago, Gunthug said:

I've never watched the UK version but I've heard it's very entertaining - I much prefer the US version though, since it's more competition and strategy based, and less of a popularity contest.

I'v never watched the US version myself, but yeh.. The UK version is pretty just about drama, I don't think they play it try hard with too much strats, so yeh you're right.

The last one, I didn't watch too much but I remember the drama was crazy. I'l maybe edit with some videos after I finished my league game.

1 hour ago, KaynineXL said:

I'v never watched the US version myself, but yeh.. The UK version is pretty just about drama, I don't think they play it try hard with too much strats, so yeh you're right.

The last one, I didn't watch too much but I remember the drama was crazy. I'l maybe edit with some videos after I finished my league game.

One of the more famous BBUK players, Nikki Grahame, was just on the BBCan season this year as part of an "international wildcard" twist haha. She's a firecracker, great for television - didn't have a really great strategy going in, though (but she did have a decent read on the house and which way people were leaning, which helped her get to 6th place).

They also brought in someone named Tim from BB Australia, another "popularity contest" version of the game. He won his season in australia, and he's damn close to winning this season in canada, which would cement him as a BB legend (only other guy to win 2 seasons of big brother was in the UK and hasn't played the competitive, strategic gamestyle like bbcan)

6 minutes ago, Gunthug said:

One of the more famous BBUK players, Nikki Grahame, was just on the BBCan season this year as part of an "international wildcard" twist haha. She's a firecracker, great for television - didn't have a really great strategy going in, though (but she did have a decent read on the house and which way people were leaning, which helped her get to 6th place).

They also brought in someone named Tim from BB Australia, another "popularity contest" version of the game. He won his season in australia, and he's damn close to winning this season in canada, which would cement him as a BB legend (only other guy to win 2 seasons of big brother was in the UK and hasn't played the competitive, strategic gamestyle like bbcan)

Haha, I remember her, that was a great season. 

Ugh. Wellp, tonight was the big brother canada finale, and it is abundantly clear that we are in the darkest timeline. The fuckin pax brothers, who have benefitted immensely from good luck all season, ended up the winner in final two over Kelsey (who had already been evicted so was the perfect goat for final 2). The brothers, who literally tried to put themselves on the block only 2 weeks ago, will likely be labeled as one of the worst winners of all time - certainly the worst in canada's short BB run

June 22nd, season 18 of BBUS starts up. Let's hope it goes better than that

• 2 months later...
11 minutes ago, Emlee said:

BB18 US cast is terrible this year. I hate bro years. 

Worst cast in recent memory and it's not even close. The girl returnee choices were awful, Nicole apparently is close with Derrick and Cody outside the house so ofc won't touch the golden boy Paulie on the inside. And dayvonne is just a bad player all around

they could have brought back some serious badass women from recent years and completely missed their chance. Oh well, hopefully next summer will be full

blown all stars for BB20 and we can forget all about this season 

15 minutes ago, Emlee said:

BB18 US cast is terrible this year. I hate bro years. 

anything beats what I saw of Big Brother Canada, or what my room mates watch, are you the one which is like Canadian bachelor

2 minutes ago, TJXD said:

anything beats what I saw of Big Brother Canada, or what my room mates watch, are you the one which is like Canadian bachelor

Big brother Canada had a much better cast than this last season, though the ending was awful because the good guys lost haha. I prefer the Us version though because there's generally less twists and production interference. Never heard of are you the one but it sounds awful lol

33 minutes ago, Gunthug said:

Worst cast in recent memory and it's not even close. The girl returnee choices were awful, Nicole apparently is close with Derrick and Cody outside the house so ofc won't touch the golden boy Paulie on the inside. And dayvonne is just a bad player all around

they could have brought back some serious badass women from recent years and completely missed their chance. Oh well, hopefully next summer will be full

blown all stars for BB20 and we can forget all about this season 

They definitely just tried to bring back entertaining returnees. Nicole has been less than entertaining though as she's just with Corey all the time. James is playing for America's favourite (Nat will probably get it though). Day was super entertaining but of course played too hard too quickly. Frank is fun to watch but same as Day. Frank doesn't know how to rest or keep quiet in Big Brother. 

I had high hopes for the newbies but I've been disappointed too :( Some of them seem like alright people but no one is amazing at the game. Paulie isn't hiding his capabilities at all and I think it's inevitable for the houseguests to realize that eventually BUT for now he seems to be on track to win. The girls are basically not threats at all. 

Again, I can't stand bro culture stuff. Especially in the house. 

Bridge is the cutest thing ever omg. I wish she was better strategically. 

3 hours ago, Emlee said:

They definitely just tried to bring back entertaining returnees. Nicole has been less than entertaining though as she's just with Corey all the time. James is playing for America's favourite (Nat will probably get it though). Day was super entertaining but of course played too hard too quickly. Frank is fun to watch but same as Day. Frank doesn't know how to rest or keep quiet in Big Brother. 

I had high hopes for the newbies but I've been disappointed too :( Some of them seem like alright people but no one is amazing at the game. Paulie isn't hiding his capabilities at all and I think it's inevitable for the houseguests to realize that eventually BUT for now he seems to be on track to win. The girls are basically not threats at all. 

Again, I can't stand bro culture stuff. Especially in the house. 

Bridge is the cutest thing ever omg. I wish she was better strategically. 

Nicole is just so passive, I can't believe I once rooted for her in s16 (granted it was the first season I watched). There's still a lot of season left for her to turn it around, I guess, and the same goes for james too (will be interestig to see how he uses america's care package this week). I loved Frank but yeah he played really sloppy, him and bridgette were fun to root for though. Tiff was a massive letdown, she needed to embrace and face head on the comparisons to her sister by downplaying them and stressing that she didn't fucking major in game theory at Duke like Vanessa haha.

There's still a few worth rooting for in the house - really hoping Victor comes to his senses and is able to turn on paulie/paul at some point before they kick him to the curb. Bridgette should be getting the next care package if she can make it past double eviction so at least there's that, but I can't see a scenario where she makes it to the end. I have a bad feeling it's going to be a s16esque cakewalk to the end for Paulie, but I'll watch every remaining episode hoping to be proven wrong haha

5 hours ago, Gunthug said:

Nicole is just so passive, I can't believe I once rooted for her in s16 (granted it was the first season I watched). There's still a lot of season left for her to turn it around, I guess, and the same goes for james too (will be interestig to see how he uses america's care package this week). I loved Frank but yeah he played really sloppy, him and bridgette were fun to root for though. Tiff was a massive letdown, she needed to embrace and face head on the comparisons to her sister by downplaying them and stressing that she didn't fucking major in game theory at Duke like Vanessa haha.

There's still a few worth rooting for in the house - really hoping Victor comes to his senses and is able to turn on paulie/paul at some point before they kick him to the curb. Bridgette should be getting the next care package if she can make it past double eviction so at least there's that, but I can't see a scenario where she makes it to the end. I have a bad feeling it's going to be a s16esque cakewalk to the end for Paulie, but I'll watch every remaining episode hoping to be proven wrong haha

Yeah I am hoping Nicole steps up when she needs to. She's been in a good position so far. I'll probably end up rooting for her to win at some point. 

I don't see James stepping up though. He will do what the house wants this week with his care package I imagine. I don't dislike James but he's on big brother to boost social media etc. 

yeah as I think bridge will get this weeks care package too. I'm also hoping she'll survive DE. Victor is fairly blind I think. He thinks Paul has his back to the end but cant see the whole Paulie/Paul thing going on. He is also silly to completely ignore what Day said on her way out. I want victor and bridge to pair up though in the future and try and shake up the house at least. 

They're so silly putting non threats on the block this week. Like it's insane to me. 

6 hours ago, Emlee said:

Yeah I am hoping Nicole steps up when she needs to. She's been in a good position so far. I'll probably end up rooting for her to win at some point. 

I don't see James stepping up though. He will do what the house wants this week with his care package I imagine. I don't dislike James but he's on big brother to boost social media etc. 

yeah as I think bridge will get this weeks care package too. I'm also hoping she'll survive DE. Victor is fairly blind I think. He thinks Paul has his back to the end but cant see the whole Paulie/Paul thing going on. He is also silly to completely ignore what Day said on her way out. I want victor and bridge to pair up though in the future and try and shake up the house at least. 

They're so silly putting non threats on the block this week. Like it's insane to me. 

James wants to make "big moves" and he thinks that is what America wants to see, too. He keeps trying to retroactively justify putting Frank/bridgette up as a "big move" when I think even he knows that it was a spineless thing to do (in reality he had NO business winning that HoH, since neither Day nor Bridgette would have gone after him or natalie). I agree 100% that he's a huge fame uguu but hopefully he decides that taking a shot at the big dogs will cement his status as someone who "makes big moves."

The big problem with this week is, everyone is scared shitless about the double eviction and I don't know if he wants to paint a target on his back by pissing off Paulie seconds before the DE HoH, especially since he went out on a double last season. Even though he may not use ACP to its potential this week, I could see him taking a shot at Paulie if he won HoH. Maybe thats just wishful thinking though

I can sympathize a little bit with Victor seeming to ignore Day's parting advice - her whole M.O. this season has been stirring up shit and trying to pit people against each other, and the house has been fairly onto it for a couple weeks so dismissing her one last attempt at doing so makes sense, even if what she was saying WAS 100% true. My only hope is that Victor is secretly fuming at Paulie for back dooring him, and will eventually seek his revenge. But I also agree that going after Zeech this week was a huge cop-out especially with a double looming - a natalie HoH winw ould have been so much more satisfying

36 minutes ago, Gunthug said:

James wants to make "big moves" and he thinks that is what America wants to see, too. He keeps trying to retroactively justify putting Frank/bridgette up as a "big move" when I think even he knows that it was a spineless thing to do (in reality he had NO business winning that HoH, since neither Day nor Bridgette would have gone after him or natalie). I agree 100% that he's a huge fame uguu but hopefully he decides that taking a shot at the big dogs will cement his status as someone who "makes big moves."

The big problem with this week is, everyone is scared shitless about the double eviction and I don't know if he wants to paint a target on his back by pissing off Paulie seconds before the DE HoH, especially since he went out on a double last season. Even though he may not use ACP to its potential this week, I could see him taking a shot at Paulie if he won HoH. Maybe thats just wishful thinking though

I can sympathize a little bit with Victor seeming to ignore Day's parting advice - her whole M.O. this season has been stirring up shit and trying to pit people against each other, and the house has been fairly onto it for a couple weeks so dismissing her one last attempt at doing so makes sense, even if what she was saying WAS 100% true. My only hope is that Victor is secretly fuming at Paulie for back dooring him, and will eventually seek his revenge. But I also agree that going after Zeech this week was a huge cop-out especially with a double looming - a natalie HoH winw ould have been so much more satisfying

Victor ignored the advice he got during the Battle Back too though. I can agree that being skeptical about Day makes sense - but she was on her way out, she can't further her game at that point. Day should have named names but she wanted to cover herself in case of the round trip. I think Victor is obsessed with being "one of the boys". I do hope that he will try to get revenge on Paulie at some point AND he did seem eager to bounce cheques so I'm praying for that too. For some reason Victor seems brain dead to me... I don't dislike him over it though. I just don't see him as a strategic player and that's going to be his downfall. 

James isn't going to make big moves. I know he said that but it won't happen unless the house wants a "big move". He will make sure that the people he vote cancels this week agree to it, he isn't going to blindside anyone over it or flip the house. To be honest he is in a good position, he is sitting pretty, so I understand his game. He isn't going to win the season but I do hope that if his back is against the wall he will do something as a last attempt - we need some good game play ;____; 

Everyone should see that Paul and Paulie need to be broken up. Paulie is almost never mentioned as a threat. 

On 8/9/2016 at 0:48 PM, Emlee said:

Everyone should see that Paul and Paulie need to be broken up. Paulie is almost never mentioned as a threat. 

Didn't wanna respond till after the veto episode in case you weren't caught up, but it looks the house has FINALLY woken up on Paulie. Apparently he told natalie last night "youre as fake as those things on your chest." Yikes. Best case scenario, Z gets voted out and Paulie walks out right behind her in the double. But, this is the same big brother universe where the fucking Pax bros won bbcan4 last year, so I fully expect Paulie or Nicorey to win the double eviction HoH and send bridgette or natalie to jury -.-

7 minutes ago, Gunthug said:

Didn't wanna respond till after the veto episode in case you weren't caught up, but it looks the house has FINALLY woken up on Paulie. Apparently he told natalie last night "youre as fake as those things on your chest." Yikes. Best case scenario, Z gets voted out and Paulie walks out right behind her in the double. But, this is the same big brother universe where the fucking Pax bros won bbcan4 last year, so I fully expect Paulie or Nicorey to win the double eviction HoH and send bridgette or natalie to jury -.-

tumblr_obp4tamgwD1t1zhuco1_400.gif

Watching the veto episode soon! I'm going to have to stay off reddit fan spots until tomorrow when I get to watch the DE ;___; I have a feeling Sunday's episode will be the one to watch to recap the DE events and this blow up. 

98qMO7F.jpg

zUy2s9N.jpg

Edited by Emlee
4 hours ago, Gunthug said:

I have a terrible memory. 

I didn't care about Z leaving. I'm not a fan of her or Meech but Meech seems like she at least has fight in her (I thought it was silly to target either of them in the beginning though). 

Corey getting HoH sucked. I can't explain how depressed I was over Bridge leaving. I didn't think she would win but I cared about her :( it was a big downer and also a waste imo. She could hardly compete in comps after her injury and her strategy isn't all that great. 

Im proud of Bridge (rip), Nat and Meech. Can't wait for Sunday's episode for that. 

DE was depressing but it looks like stuff might get interesting now. Did you spoil HoH and/or noms? 

Im sort of pessimistic and feel like this season might be unable to redeem itself for me regardless. When I think of the houseguests I'm not technically rooting for anyone to win. Not unless Nat keeps playing. 

On 8/13/2016 at 7:14 PM, Emlee said:

I have a terrible memory. 

I didn't care about Z leaving. I'm not a fan of her or Meech but Meech seems like she at least has fight in her (I thought it was silly to target either of them in the beginning though). 

Corey getting HoH sucked. I can't explain how depressed I was over Bridge leaving. I didn't think she would win but I cared about her :( it was a big downer and also a waste imo. She could hardly compete in comps after her injury and her strategy isn't all that great. 

Im proud of Bridge (rip), Nat and Meech. Can't wait for Sunday's episode for that. 

DE was depressing but it looks like stuff might get interesting now. Did you spoil HoH and/or noms? 

Im sort of pessimistic and feel like this season might be unable to redeem itself for me regardless. When I think of the houseguests I'm not technically rooting for anyone to win. Not unless Nat keeps playing. 

Z was a piece of furniture, had almost no actual gameplay of her own and wassuch a disappointing HG. Wasn't sad to see her go. Re: double eviction, I cannot believe corey won a fucking mental HoH comp, as soon as paulie went out first round i breathed a sigh of relief. While it sucked seeing bridgette go, it was pretty amazing how paul, james, and victor managed to convince corey that the guys alliance was still going on, because what was really in corey's best interest was taking a shot at one of those three. He didn't, took out bridgette who was absolutely harmless, and now his game is in a really bad spot.

Going into this week I would have said the season was near unredeemable, but dammit I can't help but feel like this entire week has already redeemed it for me. Victor finally takes his revenge shot, and it feels so good. Paulie got destroyed by the edit tonight, It'll be interesting if a few boos come his way should he end up out the door this week

edit: also if youre interested, Derrick from s16 was on the RHAP podcast tonight and gave some really good perspective on the absolute crashing and burning of paulie's game

http://robhasawebsite.com/big-brother-18-sunday-august-14th-recap-show-derrick-levasseur/

i'll warn you, at a certain point they do talk about feed spoilers, like post veto stuff but I think there's a warning

Edited by Gunthug
4 hours ago, Gunthug said:

Z was a piece of furniture, had almost no actual gameplay of her own and wassuch a disappointing HG. Wasn't sad to see her go. Re: double eviction, I cannot believe corey won a fucking mental HoH comp, as soon as paulie went out first round i breathed a sigh of relief. While it sucked seeing bridgette go, it was pretty amazing how paul, james, and victor managed to convince corey that the guys alliance was still going on, because what was really in corey's best interest was taking a shot at one of those three. He didn't, took out bridgette who was absolutely harmless, and now his game is in a really bad spot.

Going into this week I would have said the season was near unredeemable, but dammit I can't help but feel like this entire week has already redeemed it for me. Victor finally takes his revenge shot, and it feels so good. Paulie got destroyed by the edit tonight, It'll be interesting if a few boos come his way should he end up out the door this week

edit: also if youre interested, Derrick from s16 was on the RHAP podcast tonight and gave some really good perspective on the absolute crashing and burning of paulie's game

http://robhasawebsite.com/big-brother-18-sunday-august-14th-recap-show-derrick-levasseur/

i'll warn you, at a certain point they do talk about feed spoilers, like post veto stuff but I think there's a warning

I'll check it out! I'm not a huge Derrick fan but I do like his insight. I pretty well always spoil veto and noms for myself (already have). I can't wait to watch Paulie's edit. I feel sort of bad for him at this point but he's not that nice :( I was never a Cody fan (fairly neutral towards him) but they're definitely totally different in the house. 

Youre right about Corey for sure. Watching him question the execs was silly. I'm happy Vic has stepped up and although I'm not rooting for Vic to win I am rooting for him to continue to shake the house up. 

• 2 weeks later...