New PvP Mode: Betting Mode

Xatu

Question

Wow i wish i had saved my post.  I posted in gen discussion on accident and asked mods nicely to move it here but instead they permanently delete it, thanks.

Anyway its a new battle mode that allows you to bet pokeyen and items.  It would be in the form of a new trade window that would be traded to the winner after the battle.  It would also autoscale to 50 and baiscally be tournament mode underneath.  It would be a new exciting way to earn pokeyen and could be used by players at all levels of play.  Dynasties would be created and destroyed with this feature. 

21 answers to this question

12 hours ago, Xatu said:

Wow i wish i had saved my post.  I posted in gen discussion on accident and asked mods nicely to move it here but instead they permanently delete it, thanks.

Anyway its a new battle mode that allows you to bet pokeyen and items.  It would be in the form of a new trade window that would be traded to the winner after the battle.  It would also autoscale to 50 and baiscally be tournament mode underneath.  It would be a new exciting way to earn pokeyen and could be used by players at all levels of play.  Dynasties would be created and destroyed with this feature. 

How do you control what each person bets, are they forced to bet the same as each other? in that case who chooses the amount? Or does one person go I bet you 1,000,000$ that I can beat you! if they win they get another 1,000,000$ and if they lose they give 1,000,000$? is that how it works?

How do you balancing the betting of items that have fluctuating prices?

Or is it all manual? I get the main part, you know, you place bets and the winner gets the stuff but how are the bets moderated to be fair to both parties.

Edit: Also starting your thread with passive aggressiveness towards mods is not a good way to start a thread, everyone makes mistakes, they probably just deleted it on accident. No reason for you to include that in this thread at all really. 

Edited by Matoka
Oh yea..

I like the idea but how would you deal with someone loosing on purpose because he/she has a deal with the betting people?

i.e. "You bet on my opponent and I will loose on purpose if you give me 50% of the money you win!".

5 minutes ago, Envinyata said:

I like the idea but how would you deal with someone loosing on purpose because he/she has a deal with the betting people?

i.e. "You bet on my opponent and I will loose on purpose if you give me 50% of the money you win!".

Betting by spectators would be disabled I would imagine because it's just too abusable.

On the other hand, betting on Official tourneys could become a thing, which would be interesting and people wouldn't deliberately lose.

4 hours ago, Matoka said:

How do you control what each person bets, are they forced to bet the same as each other? in that case who chooses the amount? Or does one person go I bet you 1,000,000$ that I can beat you! if they win they get another 1,000,000$ and if they lose they give 1,000,000$? is that how it works?

You have to click confirm bet before you start the battle and it even brings up another window confirming again.

How do you balancing the betting of items that have fluctuating prices?

Most people would just bet yen but it would b up to the player to agree with the bet or not.

Or is it all manual? I get the main part, you know, you place bets and the winner gets the stuff but how are the bets moderated to be fair to both parties.

Its not fair to both parties.  Winner takes all. You can back out before the bet is even made if you dont agree with it.

Edit: Also starting your thread with passive aggressiveness towards mods is not a good way to start a thread, everyone makes mistakes, they probably just deleted it on accident. No reason for you to include that in this thread at all really. 

Yeah they deleted my thread and didnt even move it to the trash so i could atleast copy and paste it.  It was definitely done on purpose and your right everyone makes mistakes, thats why they should have cut me atleast a little slack for making a small mistake myself. 

6 minutes ago, Xatu said:

The horror, you couldn't copy and paste "Give us a game mode where we can bet on who wins", also why would the mods do that on purpose, you are making accusations without proof and it only reflects badly on you, and a mistake is something done by accident, you knew you were bad mouthing mods, have a little awareness of how that reflects badly on yourself, and not the mods.

Relevant to thread: When i said how is it moderated to be fair to both parties I meant more so the item betting, bets should have equal rewards for both people upon victory. items cannot be perfectly split unless they both have eg 2 leftovers and a shadow ball each, so the item betting may not work. other than that it's fine.

1 hour ago, Matoka said:

The horror, you couldn't copy and paste "Give us a game mode where we can bet on who wins", also why would the mods do that on purpose, you are making accusations without proof and it only reflects badly on you, and a mistake is something done by accident, you knew you were bad mouthing mods, have a little awareness of how that reflects badly on yourself, and not the mods.

Relevant to thread: When i said how is it moderated to be fair to both parties I meant more so the item betting, bets should have equal rewards for both people upon victory. items cannot be perfectly split unless they both have eg 2 leftovers and a shadow ball each, so the item betting may not work. other than that it's fine.

People already bet on battles. It's simple, really. Something along the lines of: 

Bob: "Hey Tom, I bet my Leftovers against your Silk Scarf that I can beat you in a battle."

Tom: "Nah, man. A Silk Scarf are worth more than Leftovers. How about I bet my two Upgrades?"

Bob: "Sure, that works."

-Both players put their item up for bet ad begin battling-

It's a matter of negotiation beforehand. The two betting players simply decide on appropriate wagers and then lock said wagers in before the battle.

2 hours ago, Matoka said:

I don't think you understand how betting works. Both parties have to accept a bet, so they themselves determine whether or not the opposing bet matches their's. There are not set prices on items/pokemon/etc. If the person doesn't believe the bet is fair, they don't take it.

Edited by Champlooo
1 minute ago, Champlooo said:

I don't think you understand how betting works. Both parties have to accept a bet, so they themselves determine whether or not the opposing bet matches their's. There are not set prices on items/pokemon/etc. If the person doesn't believe the bet is fair, they don't take it.

I was imaging it as a window that pops up in a duel fashion like:

"Player A has challenged you to a duel, and bets 10,000$ they can beat you!"
"Do you accept the bet?" "Y/N"

"Battle begin!"

I am asking would it be like this, in which case how does it handle item bets, or would it be more like a trade window where you put stuff in for the bet.

3 minutes ago, Matoka said:

I was imaging it as a window that pops up in a duel fashion like:

"Player A has challenged you to a duel, and bets 10,000$ they can beat you!"
"Do you accept the bet?" "Y/N"

"Battle begin!"

I am asking would it be like this, in which case how does it handle item bets, or would it be more like a trade window where you put stuff in for the bet.

Ah ok, well in that case, yeah it could possibly a new box meant for specifically for betting, similar to what runescape has, allowing you to bet items and money.

How Runescape's old staking window looked for reference:

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by Champlooo
added image
On May 6, 2016 at 11:02 AM, Matoka said:

omg youre still going on about this. My thread never went to the trash because of my simple mistake. You seem to have all the forgiveness for their "mistake" yet none for me. My thread said way more than that and i hardly even mentioned it in my post. Atleast be consistent in forgiving people for a mistake. You seem to forget i asked the mods nicely to move it for me.  Stop picking the mods side so you look good and claiming me saying something makes me look bad. In reality saying something means im not letting people walk all over me and badmouth me like you just did. Tldr i could give a fuck what youthink  about me or my opinions on the mods.

On May 6, 2016 at 11:02 AM, Matoka said:

Dude theres a confirmation box. If you dont like the bet than dont accept. Most people would just bet yen anyway. I said multiple times there would be a new window with a confirm bet option. 

48 minutes ago, sephiroth1977 said:

This is far to abuseable if the system has to pay out to the user. If its only taking pokeyen from the player's who do the betting then its not as bad. But either way im not a fan of this idea.

Whoever loses the battle will be the one paying out the prize. That said, why do you dislike this idea? It's completely optional and doesn't add or remove any resources from the game as a whole.

I think a better way to do it would be to have a window where we can accept/create challenges. The challenges would be anonymous, with the tier/yen count on display so you can accept or create a challenge for as high/low as you want. Items would be pretty weird 

On 5/9/2016 at 3:15 AM, Shaniqualela said:

I think a better way to do it would be to have a window where we can accept/create challenges. The challenges would be anonymous, with the tier/yen count on display so you can accept or create a challenge for as high/low as you want. Items would be pretty weird 

You could just add this option to the challege information in pvp.

Seems to me it would be simple and optional which i can support.

+1 to this idea.

On 5/9/2016 at 2:15 PM, Shaniqualela said:

Why anonymous? The player should be able to know who they are facing before betting on a game based on skill. I don't wanna put up a 100k and get Frags or something. PvP betting is skill based.

26 minutes ago, Champlooo said:

Why anonymous? The player should be able to know who they are facing before betting on a game based on skill. I don't wanna put up a 100k and get Frags or something. PvP betting is skill based.

Because if frags puts a bet up for 100k nobody would accept it... And it's easier to scout...

its a game of skill so bring a good team and play better than your opponent no matter who it is, don't just pick on no names to take their money.

Edited by Shaniqualela
Just now, Shaniqualela said:

Because if frags puts a bet up for 100k nobody would accept it... And it's easier to scout...

I feel like we're talking about different betting situations.

Your idea is to have a long list of challenges w/ their bet amount.

I'm talking runescape type betting. You walk up to a player, right click them, challenge them, and in the challenge screen is a place to bet. Players negotiate what they're staking before accepting. 

16 minutes ago, Champlooo said:

I feel like we're talking about different betting situations.

Your idea is to have a long list of challenges w/ their bet amount.

I'm talking runescape type betting. You walk up to a player, right click them, challenge them, and in the challenge screen is a place to bet. Players negotiate what they're staking before accepting. 

Ah, well you could technically put a specific number on a list of bets like 10,435 so they know which one it is if you want to bet someone in particular. I've never really had a problem with gentlemen agreement bets in this game though