Revert Berries Back (A Detailed Explanation)

TheArchon

Question

Ok, so now that I haven't heard anyone complain about berries in a while, let me just say this. 

IIRC, a staff member said that the berry update was made so that everyone could make a ton berries, resulting in them becoming cheaper than 1k (old Saffron price).

If this is true, it is the dumbest thing I've ever heard, as simple economics and psychology would tell you that berry prices would never drop below 1k. Why would they? Theoretically, you'd be losing money. And as this thread is posted, there are 0 berries below 1k. Some berries come damn near close, but I can 100% guarantee you that berries will not drop below 1k and remain at that price steadily in the upcoming (at least) 3 months. 

If this isn't true, then why would you fuck up berries for everyone? I see no upside to the berry update other than just the speculation of "oh, it'll drop below 1k," which hasn't proven true yet. Literally none. And I can't imagine, or at least I hope this isn't the case, devs just thought "hey let's just fuck everyone." Berry growers aren't making as much profit as they would in something like island runs, so what's the point in growing them? There is none. Need proof? I'm checking the amount of berries on GTL and there isn't a quantity of berries above 80, most sitting around 50. For god's sake there's only one fucking sitrus berry.

bbfd2a2d54.png

If you need a refresher on high school economics, let me help. Because of the update, berry supplies have tanked. You have to grow them now instead of there just being an unlimited supply, which costs money, and has little payoff. There are no incentives to growing berries besides using them for yourself, but that's not what we're talking about. On top of this, there has been a lot of PVP thanks to automated matchmaking, automated tournaments, leaderboards, better prizes, etc.

In short, the supply has been decreasing, and demand has been increasing. Here's a visual:

7d89e85cd4.jpg

So what's happening in this graph is the initial supply, represented by S, is negatively shifting (shifting to the left) to become the new supply, or supply prime, or S', or whatever you want to call it. This change represents the lack of berry growing, etc., which is resulting in a shortage of berries.

As you can probably guess, D, the initial demand, is positively shifting (shifting to the right) to become the new demand, blah blah blah, more PVP, you get the point.

The axis, P and Q represent Price and Quantity respectively. The point where the initial supply and initial demand meet is called the "equilibrium" which was originally the unlimited supply of berries for 1k a piece. When the supply and demand shift, they make a new equilibrium (with less supply and more demand), which as you can see, is higher on the P axis. You know what that means? Sure you do. I'm having fun.

Obviously, this is the very very basics of economics, but it's right there. The berry system isn't an exception to any economy.

So what I'm saying is that it's not too late, just revert back to buying berries in Saffron because the berry update is not benefiting anyone.

What do you guys think?

Edited by TheArchon
Title

7 minutes ago, axx said:

Lets go slower this time, a berry produces a berry tree, each berry tree yields several berries (hint: more than one if you have a couple working neurons). Each new berry will give you seeds. Seeds harvested from free berries are free seeds, with a small cost for the harvesting tool (to staff: give out the unbreakable harvesting tool already yo).

In a previous post that you probably didn't read, I explained that a patch of berries produces enough seeds to plant three more patches (i have never factored alts, if you are willing to go that far do so). If you translate it to breeding is as if each couple of parents produced six eggs, six! :)

"In the time I would be logging on to click shit on five different characters, I could be playing the market, doing island runs, alt runs, etc. in that same time. So not only does it cost money to grow berries, but it also costs time."

Again, not using alts. Alts won't get you far in the suggestion box.

This is the biggest nonsense you speak out. As I previously mentioned, you only invest 1h (1h = 60min) per day to get berries. Then do nothing for 8-12h (8-12h = a shiton of minutes). All this time you are not required to stay vigilant of your berries, you can go island run, or snipe the GTL or farm the nth alt, ikd whatever rings your fancy bells.

In your own words:

"Does that make sense to you? Course not."

"The system is flawed and needs to be changed. Why should I fucking have to find a way to "work around the system?" That's the stupidest shit I've ever heard."

You are in for a tough ride. And you are already doing this unconsciously. Is not farming alts a "work around" for the current system?

tl;dr since you have this much free time you need to read again, start from reading your own posts, or maybe something more enriching such as the whole trash section or xela's posts on economics or rache's reasons to deny the PC in secret bases. 

tl;dr.2 eh that first tl;dr was quite long.

ROFLLLLLLL holy shit and here he is. Too bad too.

Ahem, how did you grow the berries to get the seeds? Quite an amazing feat. Again, free berries and free seeds are not a thing. 

Let me explain something to you. There is a thing called "oppurtunity cost." Remeber that? Probably not. The time used for making berries can be used to make more money elsewhere, or god forbid, do something with your life outside of PokeMMO. 

You say you spend an hour making berries. Let me show you something that I've linked twice already

Now, profit per hour is the amount of money you make in "60min." Understand so far? As you can plainly see from this reputable source there are other ways to make more money in "60min." This is a reputable source too! Cool!

Why are you using these points as your argument? Have you run out of things to say? Are you just a troll? The world may never know... 

TLDR: You obviously have nothing to say anymore because you're bringing up the same points just so that I can refute them with sources. Can you just stop wasting all of our time? Thanks!

7 minutes ago, TheArchon said:

Ahem, how did you grow the berries to get the seeds? Quite an amazing feat. Again, free berries and free seeds are not a thing. 

1) pickup

2) static storyline berries 

3) friends

1 minute ago, Champlooo said:

1) pickup

2) static storyline berries 

3) friends

Ahem let me tell you about this thing. It's called "oppurtunity cost." The time you're spending looking for the fucking seed you need to plant a shitty ass berry, you could be making more money elsewhere. If you were going through the storyline, you're on the right track! Alt runs yield a lot more money per hour than growing berries! Here! Take a look!

Why would people just randomly have seeds that you need? Again, the chances that someone does is very low because no one actually berry farms, except for the people who came here to bltch at me and get told what's up. Also, you have some good friends because my friends would still sell them to me or want part of the profits.  

Please don't make me refute your counter arguments with the same thing again. 

I'll give you a few options:

1. Think before you post

2. Fuck off

Did you even do the required berry reading? It was on the pokemmo syllabus. According to Desu's Law of Exponential Berries, after you grow your first batch of berries and harvest then, you end up with more seeds than you started with.

3 minutes ago, Champlooo said:

Did you even do the required berry reading? It was on the pokemmo syllabus. According to Desu's Law of Exponential Berries, after you grow your first batch of berries and harvest then, you end up with more seeds than you started with.

But that's not what we're talking about you fucking claud. One of you brought up how berries were fucking "free" and I said it wasn't because you wouldn't be able to grow the first batch for more seeds.

Stop derailing to find stupid bullshit that doesn't make sense or has already been addressed. You must really like getting proven wrong or else you'd stop posting. This is getting old anyways. Just stop being a dumbass troll and we can both be on our ways

Edited by TheArchon
44 minutes ago, systematic said:

You're being off topic with that , but no i'm not.

Huge anime freak only.

Lies and lies, and if you were an anime freak you would show up at the anime club more often.

On topic, clearly OP is past his bed time since 10h or so ago so he stoped making sense. Ill just picture the berries diagram again:

storyline -> get untradeable berries -> harvest seeds -> plant berries -> get xn berries -> harvest 3n seeds -> n-peat = free berries galore~

1 minute ago, axx said:

Lies and lies, and if you were an anime freak you would show up at the anime club more often.

On topic, clearly OP is past his bed time since 10h or so ago so he stoped making sense. Ill just picture the berries diagram again:

storyline -> get untradeable berries -> harvest seeds -> plant berries -> get xn berries -> harvest 3n seeds -> n-peat = free berries galore~

Yes, but what does that have anything to do with the berry economy being fucked up? Also there's this thing called "oppurtunity cost." The time you use to do storyline for berries and plant berries and harvest berries and sell berries, you could be making more money elsewhere. Here look here please click 

Time is money.

Stop being a fucking dumbass. 

I'm not gaining anything by trying to explain how you're wrong by using the same fucking explanation, which you're obviously failing to grasp. I'm done, Good luck with your life! Hopefully your incredibly low IQ will still get you a job.

You are right that opportunity costs exist, but keep in mind that they are different for each individual
While you and me might not enjoy berry farming, we shouldn't dismiss the possibility that others actually like it - enough to prefer berry farming over alt runs/island runs/... despite the possibly lower outcome in plain pokéyen regarding the time invested

The question is, if all people that could possibly enjoy berry farming are actually investing the (arguably little) time to educate themselves how to do so.
A solution might be to link a brief tutorial in the FAQs and/or implement one ingame at the plant shop in Hoenn
Might be worth to observe how the berry market evolves if more (new) players are able/motivated to farm berries

tl:dr:
Add a tutorial (FAQs/ingame flower shop) for easier access to berry farming

I love part about seeds that are costing money. I mean, can't we get them by pickup?

I've bought some leppa berries for 1.1k, rawst berries for 800$, when I was in deep need and my berries only started to grow. 

For years so many suggestions about daily tasks were posted, just act like watering berries is daily task :DDD

On 5/4/2016 at 2:16 AM, Champlooo said:

Do people even use berries??????

I know I don't, welp maybe some ev reducing ones every now and then.

New items kinda killed berry sets in comp play.

I actually don't agree with berries being removed from npc merchants, same goes for vitamins, there are such things as good money sinks and bad money sinks, berries and vitamins were good money sinks, daycare is a bad money sink.

But if you think this is bad, wait until devs implement Johto, and then remove poke balls from npc merchants, meaning that the only way you can get those is by farming apricorns.

Edited by Darkshade
Double Post
9 minutes ago, LifeStyle said:

But if you think this is bad, wait until devs implement Johto, and then remove poke balls from npc merchants, meaning that the only way you can get those is by farming apricorns.

I know you're joking, but the balls made with Apricorns are unique to that particular system - and removing an item that is so heavily required within the game such as balls would be a really bad idea.

33 minutes ago, Darkshade said:

I know you're joking, but the balls made with Apricorns are unique to that particular system - and removing an item that is so heavily required within the game such as balls would be a really bad idea.

but they're still just as accessible, you just buy them from other players now instead of the mart :^)

2 hours ago, TheArchon said:

8a28779c09.png

Don't know why this is getting deleted but third times a charm. Maybe a little explanation before you just delete it this time?

Just proving my point

This screenshot doesn't even help your argument.

The prices compared to the old shop are 4x, 1.7x, 1.7x, 1.7x, 1.7x. That isn't even double the price for most of those.

10 hours ago, Desu said:

This screenshot doesn't even help your argument.

The prices compared to the old shop are 4x, 1.7x, 1.7x, 1.7x, 1.7x. That isn't even double the price for most of those.

Oh you're right, the berries being 1.7x more expensive definitely doesn't help my argument. Flawless logic, 10/10

You still haven't given me a valid reason as to why it's getting deleted.

1 hour ago, TheArchon said:

Oh you're right, the berries being 1.7x more expensive definitely doesn't help my argument. Flawless logic, 10/10

You still haven't given me a valid reason as to why it's getting deleted.

If you post supporting images without explaining them they will be removed. If the explanation does not contain enough content it will also be removed. Please PM the section moderators with questions about your posts in the future. Posting public complaints does not help you at all.

As far as evidence it does not support anything because the mechanics are too new to make any generalizations on their economic impact. Basic economics dictates that any changes that would affect the economy will not be apparent within a short time frame.

Also, before this gets closed, I'd like to say that the timespan of a little over a month seems like enough time for the economy to become regulated to under 1k pretty berry, considering berries only take a day to grow. 

If I'm proven wrong in there next the months you can give me a major I told you so. But, if I'm right you can expect an I told you so.

Actually, would you like to make a bet?

I can't tell who this thread is trying to complain at. Too many walls of text. It doesn't seem many people actually understand video game economies though so I'll give you all a brief overview:

• Berries' prices increased because that's what you guys decided they should be.
  • We don't have a government regulated berry subsidy program which keeps prices artificially low. We killed this when we decided to give you all control over your own items. This means people can manipulate the market, or supply can be exhausted by people buying hundreds at a time.
  • The game's economy is inflating due to decreased money sinks and increased money generation. This means everything player-driven in the game gets more expensive to compensate, berries included.
  • We care about purchase power, not flat prices of items. When the game's money is inflating, it doesn't matter what they used to be as long as we keep the same effective purchase power.

One thing that you can complain about is that berries' prices are directly tied to the difficulty of the mechanic. Since release we've been iterating on it and reducing login requirements while making it more of a seed management mini-game, even as recently as last Saturday.

I don't know who said "Berries will be less than 1k", but they were wrong, and you should get that out of your head. You decide the prices and most people prefer to make lots of money instead of little amounts.