Player avatar in battle

Prado

Question

When a player enters in a battle, the only avatar available are the 2 default ones: one for male and another female. In Pokemon Showdown, you can choose any avatar from the pokemon games. I wonder if it is possible to let players choose any avatar of the games, plus the pixel artists could send their own avatars and if aproved, they could be implemented in the game.

Pokemon%20Sapphire_Apr7%2020_39_42.png(Random image)

11 answers to this question

Well, it's not that as easy as u think.  And i don't think that they (devs) will implement every avatar u want because u beg them for it. Better to do global avatars, to make in-battle avatars simillar to over-world avatars there's need of ton of sprites(hats, upper body, lower body, hands, back items and all of this color variations and multiple them for animations). U know, it's even bigger project than simple suggestion. I can arrange graphic team for that (I will also be part of this team as "pixel artist"/designer, here is an example of my sprite mashup for actual in-game outfit

Spoiler

avatar_1224.gif?dateline=1389906606

), of course if devs approve this idea.

I don't think choosing the avatars from what already exists in the games would work, on showdown it only ever shows the front sprites(I think?), the back-sprites afaik for all of the trainers do not exist, even in the actual games where you co-op with an NPC it will show the front sprite on your side.  It would be incredibly inconsistent to show one sprite for your opponent and then trainer sprite for you.

If this were done I think it would need to be done differently than showdown with some custom sprites and not the NPC ones.

11 minutes ago, Munya said:

I don't think choosing the avatars from what already exists in the games would work, on showdown it only ever shows the front sprites(I think?), the back-sprites afaik for all of the trainers does not exist, even in the actual games where you co-op with an NPC it will show the front sprite on your side.  It would be incredibly inconsistent to show one sprite for your opponent and then trainer sprite for you.

If this were done I think it would need to be done differently than showdown with some custom sprites and not the NPC ones.

U can create raw sprite for every item(head,eyes,top,bottom,boots,hands,back item) and dev can write code that read our outfit from overworld and show it in batlle(of course colored). Bigger and harder part of work is creating these raw arts than doing the in game code.

On 16/5/2016 at 5:52 AM, Qaztin said:

U can create raw sprite for every item(head,eyes,top,bottom,boots,hands,back item) and dev can write code that read our outfit from overworld and show it in batlle(of course colored). Bigger and harder part of work is creating these raw arts than doing the in game code.

thats the plan, will take two or ten years to be implemented tho

18 minutes ago, Kornelio said:

Meh i think you have to forget about trainer battle sprite... I suggest to eliminate all of them, and use overworld sprite only.

I like this guy, we should definitely do this.

*The sound of shackles can be heard in the distance*

On a more serious note, I do plan on tackling Profile/Ball throwing sprites in the near future but they may take some time.