Reworking critical hits

Pokemon is a game where rng is very important, but critical hits are the most gamebreaking, random and frustrating by far.  The damage bonus is already problematic, one lucky crit can win a game, but the worst part is that critical hits ignore some good plays and situations.

For example:

- Critical hits ignore burn. it´s not that easy to burn an offensive physical poke,  having fire pokes, guts and facade around. There is no need for criticals to ignore a burnt.

- Critical hits ignore boosts and debuffs. bulk up/curse users have a real problem with that, if I managed to have defense +3 or +4 my poke should be good at resisting physicial attacks, crit or not.

- Critical hits ignore reflect and light screen. 

Imo critical hits shouldn´t exist at all. They boring, umbalance and you cant make plays against them (well, shell armor op). But asking a total removal is maybe too much. Still, something should be done since right now crits can ignore some good plays. My proposal is tweak crits so they no longer ignore defense boosts, negative attack stages, reflect, light screen or burn.

Edited by Pereiraa
Archived.

They make the game a lot more interesting.

Sometimes (especially with high crit ratio moves) the mere chance of a crit losing you a game is enough to make you play in a different way.

Hax is not just something that happens, you gotta take that into account all the time.

But yeh, it does make the game less competitive after all

The attack drop from being burned still affects critical hit damage. Crits previously ignored this, but that bug has long since been fixed.

We will not be altering critical hit mechanics unless something turns out to be bugged. The chance of a critical hit adds a much-needed element of risk to buffing your defenses and can prevent a Calm Mind/Curse war from becoming a guaranteed PP stall. RNG is a part of the game, whether it's appreciated or not.