Adjust new breeding OT system for Shiny Pokemon

Matoka

Question

The new OT system makes perfect sense when wanting to prevent people from copping out of catching pokes by breeding it with one from GTL, and it does this well, however this makes me feel kinda sad since it was paired in the same update as shiny breeding.

My only OT is a Shiny Persian, and it is male. Ideally if it was female I would make a Meowth so it has pickup unlike it's evolved form however that is besides the point, no, that is the point actually

Why would I want to breed my male OT pokemon with a female non-OT pokemon other than if my OT happened to have a 31 in a stat or if it was able to pass on some egg moves, Eg Fake Out from Persian --> Pikachu (holding lightball) for comp moveset shiny pika.

The OT /is/ pointless in this regards, but, considering to me an OT shiny is so valuable in sentimental value since it is my only ever, I really do not want to lose that "useless tag" otherwise I would take pride in breeding it with something to get an interesting move on another pokemon or to get an OT field pokemon that I do not own.

Just my thoughts, I just think that the new OT mechanic shouldn't be used for shinies if one of the Shinies is your OT.

8 answers to this question

The problem with this is that it would allow you to convert a common OT such as Rattata into a rare OT such as Eevee. It was very likely done this way to prevent that from occurring. With that being said though, maintaining your OT if you breed an OT male Persian with a non-OT Female Meowth/Persian might not be a bad idea, although it does take away from a shiny Ditto's breeding usefulness.

The problem with this is that it would allow you to convert a common OT such as Rattata into a rare OT such as Eevee. It was very likely done this way to prevent that from occurring. With that being said though, maintaining your OT if you breed an OT male Persian with a non-OT Female Meowth/Persian might not be a bad idea, although it does take away from a shiny Ditto's breeding usefulness.

It doesn't really make that much of a difference in value. Why exactly does it matter if someone obtains a rare shiny pokemon, sacrifices another shiny pokemon, and then get a rare shiny as an OT? The OT change is almost always going to be less worth than a common shiny used as fodder. If you're worried about OT shiny pokemon being "legit", then people can just check if it was bred or if it was caught, if people actually care. 

its not like ditto was a common shiny to begin with

plus any OT should weight more value than a random "OT squirtle" starter

besides, if you have a shiny eevee then you should be able to make it your OT since you scammed worked hard to obtain it

That still requires you to obtain a female EV, which is 12.5% chance of occurring naturally. In that case then yes it does allow you to swap the OT.

but this requires you to still have that OT Male rattata and to purchase the Female Eevee, both of those are not easy to do.

The OT does not add to a shiny

Shiny Ditto would be used I imagine in cases for genderless pokemon shinies mostly, or for some very very rare shinies, but for more common shinies the OT thing is fairly saddening just.

>implements a shiny sink

>adds a pointless OT mechanic to discourage breeding.

I really don't see a point of this whole Unknown OT fiasco.

The point is, I imagine, solely for making use actually go out and complete the pokedex ourselves for an achievement, and it does that perfectly fine, no qualms with it.

But yea, does discourage Shiny breeding.
Gender change pill which was suggested recently could be a nice solution to this problem.

Edited by Matoka
On 29.4.2016 at 3:21 PM, Matoka said:

But yea, does discourage Shiny breeding.

Gender change pill which was suggested recently could be a nice solution to this problem.

Gender-Change only for Own-OT, non bred Pokemon would be a thing?