Come on, Don't leave out old Focus Sash.

Matoka

Question

Devs, we have all these neato offensive items from gen 4, Can we have a defensive one like Focus Sash?

Pretty please? I'm blatantly testing my luck but apparently that worked for that one guy and life orb so why not.

[spoiler] Just whatever you do do NOT implement eviolite because that means we have to put up with 2 months of Chansey on steroids before usage is updated and it is banned to ubers forever [/spoiler]

But yea, Focus sash is probs my fav gen 4 hold item. I AM BIAS.

9 answers to this question

Devs, we have all these neato offensive items from gen 4, Can we have a defensive one like Focus Sash?

Pretty please? I'm blatantly testing my luck but apparently that worked for that one guy and life orb so why not.

[spoiler] Just whatever you do do NOT implement eviolite because that means we have to put up with 2 months of Chansey on steroids before usage is updated and it is banned to ubers forever [/spoiler]

But yea, Focus sash is probs my fav gen 4 hold item. I AM BIAS.

no stealth rocks - no focus sash. Sorry

As far as I'm concerned, Focus Sashes, Stealth Rocks, and most other meta-defining features added after Gen 3 are completely unbalanced until Prankster is implemented. If we are going to have to Sashes, we will almost certainly need a myriad of other things to make competitive battling balanced.

As far as I'm concerned, Focus Sashes, Stealth Rocks, and most other meta-defining features added after Gen 3 are completely unbalanced until Prankster is implemented. If we are going to have to Sashes, we will almost certainly need a myriad of other things to make competitive battling balanced.

You know prankster was a gen 5 ability, right? Are you trying to say that gen 4 was unbalanced because it didn't have prankster?

You know prankster was a gen 5 ability, right? Are you trying to say that gen 4 was unbalanced because it didn't have prankster?

Yeah, pretty much. Sucker Punch sweeps, Dragon Dance sweeps, Stealth Rocks to negate Focus Sash, and the only reliable way to beat an offensive team was with another offensive team. Dragon Dance or Swords Dance+Sucker Punch with Stealth Rocks made for a very easy sweep. Prankster and Magic Bounce are very important abilities for defensive or balanced teams. Gen 4 relied heavily on certain bulky Fighting-type Pokemon to prevent these kinds of sweeps. Seeing as how we don't have most of these Pokemon, it seems to me that the best way to handle the unbalanced would be to either nerf certain tactics in some way, or buff others. How this should be accomplished, I couldn't say.

Yeah, pretty much. Sucker Punch sweeps, Dragon Dance sweeps, Stealth Rocks to negate Focus Sash, and the only reliable way to beat an offensive team was with another offensive team. Dragon Dance or Swords Dance+Sucker Punch with Stealth Rocks made for a very easy sweep. Prankster and Magic Bounce are very important abilities for defensive or balanced teams. Gen 4 relied heavily on certain bulky Fighting-type Pokemon to prevent these kinds of sweeps. Seeing as how we don't have most of these Pokemon, it seems to me that the best way to handle the unbalanced would be to either nerf certain tactics in some way, or buff others. How this should be accomplished, I couldn't say.

You are just flat out wrong, pal. Gen 4 was far and away the most balanced gen of competitive play of all time, from OU down to NU. I'm curious - which bulky fighting type pokemon did gen 4 have that we don't have?

I've seen plenty of stall teams break down offensive teams in gen4 and in terms of viability, only Toxicroak and Absol come to mind that have Swords Dance+Sucker Punch and both are not even OU. Gen4 has in no way relied on bulky fighting types to prevent Dragon Dance or Sucker Punch sweeps. Not sure if you have even played gen 4.