When contests are implemented make them multiplayer only, ranked, and give them bp payouts to the winner.

Xatu

Question

Multiplayer contests are great and a very almost forgotten thing. If we had some sort of incentive instead of just ribbons it could be a valid way of gaining bp that could be actually pretty fun. The emerald rom already has 2 multiplayer contest modes with one of them filling in with AI. We could have ques that wait for 4 players to start. So only 1 mode.

The bp payout should be low too like 100 bp per win. With an invisible rank that slowly raises bp gain like the auto system now. There would be a ranked system too thatd cost bp to enter and would have official tournaments.

Edited by Xatu

8 answers to this question

I think that multiplayer contests would naturally be implemented sometime in the future, if not at the same time with SP, after SP contests are finished, but why the hate on single-player contests? I mean, I do like the suggestion of having low BP payouts with a ranking system for the contests, but why make it multiplayer only? 

Edited by TheForumNewb

Cause if you could just grind 1 player it wouldnt encourage players to have to interact and compete. Plus the AI is bound to be less challenging than human players.

But, that makes it seem like you think battle frontier and tower shouldn't have any single player vs. AI when getting BP (Not too too relevant anymore because of the new pvp system but eh). Kind of the same concept with that except it's in the contests. You could play single player against AI for fun or practice, Play with friends, or compete with others. Having it strictly multiplayer though has the feel of an MMO but being able to relax and play against AI is good as well.

I disagree with multiplayer only since it might be hard to find which contest you are looking for.

Yeah its smart of you to mention the five different contest types which are coolness, beauty, cuteness, cleverness, and toughness. Your right in assuming it could take a while to find 3 partners but if we had full access to the AI then it would give people literally no reason to use the multiplayer feature.

As a middle ground i guess it would be best to allow AI players but also have atleast 1 other human player. This could speed up que times by 3x.

Yeah its smart of you to mention the five different contest types which are coolness, beauty, cuteness, cleverness, and toughness. Your right in assuming it could take a while to find 3 partners but if we had full access to the AI then it would give people literally no reason to use the multiplayer feature.

As a middle ground i guess it would be best to allow AI players but also have atleast 1 other human player. This could speed up que times by 3x.

Thats a good idea for compromise, but I don't quite understand why having single player wouldn't be a good thing. Are you proposing the medals to be something rare or a major accomplishment?

Thats a good idea for compromise, but I don't quite understand why having single player wouldn't be a good thing. Are you proposing the medals to be something rare or a major accomplishment?

Well i am sort of visualizing the contest system as an alternative to the battle system with people making specific strats and mons for it. If there isnt a huge push for multiplayer with it and the bp and ranked system then itll never catch on as a sort of "alt-comp". I hope that makes sense lol.

Well i am sort of visualizing the contest system as an alternative to the battle system with people making specific strats and mons for it. If there isnt a huge push for multiplayer with it and the bp and ranked system then itll never catch on as a sort of "alt-comp". I hope that makes sense lol.

I don't think it has to be multiplayer only to make it have a competitive scene. The rewards being multiplayer exclusive would be enough incentive I think.