Don't reset the chatbox when disconnecting/able to access chatlog

OrangeManiac

Question

It's a nice feature your session isn't terminated by disconnecting but I think it's really frustrating when you don't see the team messages you had during the time you were DCd. Could make you look like a uguu for not responding to someone without even knowing someone wrote something in team. I'm basically asking you would find a way to make able to see these messages by either not "resetting" the chatbox when disconnecting or being able to see message log back to like... let's say 5-10 minutes when you log back in from the disconnection.

Discuss.

Edit: I forgot in PMs you get a notification when you're DCd because this has caused me annoyance mostly in team chat so I fixed the suggestion.

Edited by OrangeManiac

10 answers to this question

Funny enough is i had times where I would log from one account to a complete different account and have the last chat shown on log in.

But I agree maybe save the chat for a certain amount of time after dc/logout.

Yea this happens to me also and I don't understand it :P

If you are disconnected the server will tell the person that is whispering you that you are, so there are no PM's that you missed.

nPkbLkT.png

EDIT: Nvm, misunderstood what you meant, maybe?  

Thought you were referring to this, if not then myb 

Holding all of a player's received messages is not really something I would like to do.

Wouldn't it be possible to re-populate the chat using the chat logs if the player has them enabled? or was the chat logs feature removed?

Funny enough is i had times where I would log from one account to a complete different account and have the last chat shown on log in.

That's a security breach IMHO. Upon logging out, whatever new session is initiated will display all the system messages and whispers received by the client during previous sessions, even if a different account was active.

(read: your little brother can read your whispers if you don't exit the client)

For this same security concern using the client log wouldn't be good unless they create encrypted logs for each account opened in the client.

[spoiler]

This however, could be much to ask given how login.properties work.

[/spoiler]

Wouldn't it be possible to re-populate the chat using the chat logs if the player has them enabled? or was the chat logs feature removed?

Chat logging has always been hidden because it's "dumb". If left unattended, it will bloat the disk. There's also no concept of "Player A's chat log" and "Player B's chat log". Because it's very niche and unimportant, we don't really want to spend time on improving it.

Regarding the "chat logs shown on login", we've noticed some caching issues with the chat frame and I'll take a look at it further some time later.

Holding all of a player's received messages is not really something I would like to do.

I think a possible compromise for the issue is a "Desu has reconnected." broadcast for team/friends. Similar to the current login/logout message.

Wouldn't it be possible to make it client based? like stored in our hard disks?