[PSL V] General Smack Talk Thread

fPaHkZS.png

Made by eggroll

The PokeMMO Super League, Season 5 is almost upon us.

This season, I’ll be following in the footsteps of Orangemaniac and ThinkNice before me, and hosting PSL. As usual, thanks to Thinky for the format – pretty much every thread will be a replica of the ones he used to use.
So, what is PSL? It’s a 9 week competition between teams of competitors across a variety of tiers, from PokeMMO OU to ORAS OU and everything in between. This season, we’ll have 8 managers with roughly 10 players per team (depending on signups).

In a couple weeks, I’ll put out a Manager Signups thread – anyone can apply, but Orange and I will be choosing managers who are dedicated and have shown that in the community.

Next, I’ll put out the player signups thread, where you’ll post your IGN, your timezone, and what tiers you like to play. During the season, players will compete in one match per week, and they’ll have to communicate with their opponent to schedule when that match will take place. While it’s nice for those with a busy schedule, it is imperative that you schedule and play your matches – don’t let your team down by failing to contact your opponent or being lazy and missing your match!

Playoffs:
After the regular season, the top 4 teams in the standings will compete in the 2-week playoffs, with huge prizes for the winners. This season, in the championship matchup, all matches will be best of 3.

Tentative Schedule:
Here’s a loose look at how things will shake out over the next few weeks:
Now: Donations Stage
Early to Mid May: Manager Signups, Showcase Tournament
Late May: Player signups, draft
June: Weeks 1-4, midseason auction, salty suite
July: Weeks 5-8
August: Playoffs

Of course this is all subject to change depending on when things kick off
A few more changes to Season 5:

- VGC has been changed to ORAS OU in the showdown tiers
- Before the draft, we will have a “showcase tournament” for anyone who hasn’t played in PSL before
- At the beginning of the regular season, each manager will be given 5k credits to save for the midseason auction, or to trade if they wish.
- Midseason – there will be a Salty Suite. Details to come later

The format for season 5:

8 Teams, 8v8 (In the event of a tier reset, we’ll just wait to start the season until UU and NU are re-established)
PokeMMO OU x 2
PokeMMO UU x 2
PokeMMO NU
PokeMMO Doubles
DPP OU
ORAS OU

PSL 5 Managers:

TheFireLion - The Raging Lions

Kanzo - The Road Ninjas

Greck - Unexpected Flying Octillery

Xploz - The Dark Brotherhood

DoubleJ - Team Mountain

Eggplant - The Heroes of Light

SirVector - The Hellacious Houndooms

ErrorGlumac - Glumac's Gladiators

Here's all the rules (subject to change, as I go through them in the next couple days with a fine tooth comb):

Manager description

The manager is the heart of the team, the boss, the ruler, the God. As he makes all the final decisions for the team (barring the host).  A manager takes care of the finances of his team during the auction and the Mid Season auction, as he also manages trades. The manager controls who plays where and when. Managers are responsible for making sure all his players are up to date about all the rules and regulations of the PSL. The manager is also responsible for informing the host about all inactivities and why they were made. This should be done in time and clearly so the host can make the proper activity calls.

Basically the manager has huge responsibilities. This is why a manager can be seen as the most important member of a team, don’t take this role lightly.

Keep the following in mind:

•  
  •  

• There will not always be eight new managers. The managers that finished in the top 3 last season will be invited to manage again, be it under the same team name or not. After that the position is up for grabs to the public.
  •  

• Managers cannot play in the PSL, it’s either manage or play.
  •  

• Managers are chosen on a largely subjective basis. For details read the ‘Manager Signups Information’ paragraph.
  •  

Lastly the manager has these responsibilities.

•  
  •  

• The manager shall send the host weekly rosters.
  •  

• The manager shall ensure to his/her best capabilities that every match will be completed in time.
  •  

• The manager shall inform the host as to why a match failed to be completed in the event that one fails.
  •  

• The managers shall inform the host of any substitutes that should be made.
  •  

• The manager shall inform the host of any attempts of grieving.
  •  

• The manager oversees all trades.
  •  

Substitutes

A substitute is someone in the team roster that was not initially in the team’s weekly lineup, but due inactivity the managers makes him ‘substitute’ a player. At any point during the week the manager has the right to substitute a player. However, managers make sure your lineup for next week is going to be active. Reckless substituting will result in punishments.

Needless to say in the event of a substitute, the substituted player will have to make extra effort in order to get the match played.

Trades

Managers may trade players with each other at any point of the regular season. In order to complete a trade both managers must contact the host with the following information:

•  
  •  

• The player(s) that they are trading away.
  •  

• The player(s) that they receive in return.
  •  

Trades will be finalized at the end of every week. In addition, a player that is being put up for trade must be substituted out if they are in the week’s lineup. Of course, this means a player that is being traded can also not be substituted in that week. A player can immediately play for the other team in the next week. In addition, a manager is allowed to trade up to two players in one trade (meaning you can trade one player for two).

After the player trades both players must fill the criteria for team size.

Sellbacks

A manager has the right to sell back a player for 50% of the price they bought their player if following criteria are met:

•  
  •  

• The player has a negative impact on the team, brings the whole team down (evidenced by logs/PMs and team members (witnesses), judged by the host).
  •  

• The player has quit.
  •  

• The player has disappeared.
  •  

• Inactivity (evidenced by logs/PMs and team members (witnesses), judged by the host).
  •  

Defining inactivity:
If a player is so inactive during PMs on the forums or TS that he/she is often unable to complete/schedule a match then it can be called inactivity.  

As of always the host has the last say.

Pre-Week Battling

Pre-Week battling will not be allowed under any circumstances. Yes there is a set schedule generated at the start of the season, in which most players can accurately guess who they will be playing. But you never know what a manager would like to do with their matchups. By asking for a preemptive battle you are basically limiting the options of a manager. This is why pre-week battling is not allowed, substitutes exist for a reason.

For battles:

Revealing Teams & Sets

Publically revealing teams before a battle by any means is not allowed and you will be punished. Do not publically announce teams. I don’t care what you do in your team PMs, but in threads or during matches do not do this.

Speculating really obscure moves is not harmful, yet I'd encourage this wouldn't be done at all.

Ghosting & Coaching

To all managers and players I would like to say: please refrain from coaching or ghosting for someone. Ghosting, playing on another person’s account, is an officially ban-able offense. Coaching is not but it does take away from competition like it is meant to be. As a manager or a team member you should have confidence in the ability of your teammate. As a player standing from the sidelines you should have respect for a player’s ability.
Helping with practicing is absolutely fine and helping with teambuilding is also good, in fact I would encourage these activities. The grey area is telling what an opponent’s Pokémon set could be or what a player should watch out for. Some battlers find this irritating as it can ruin the surprises but some are fine with it, so keep this in mind (read: ‘Revealing Teams & Sets).

Getting Your Battles Done

This is largely in the player’s hands and there is not much to do about it. I can however try to award the player that is actively trying to get his match done as opposed to neglecting someone’s effort. Follow these guidelines to get your battle done in time or to at least secure a victory for your team in case of player inactivity.

Every week will have a separate thread within it the week's match-ups and including a deadline for that week's matches.

When you agree on a time you must post in the weekly thread the time and date you agreed on or ten minutes before your match starts. IF YOU DO NOT DO THIS the match will be forfeit on both sides.
ShowDown players are required to always provide a replay of their match, or this match will too be forfeited.

Within 48 hours after the Weekly Match-Ups are posted:

•  

• PM your opponent with at least 3 different time ranges you will be available, at least 2 must be at least 24 hours apart.

• Post in the thread stating that you have contacted your opponent.

• If neither opponent does this: you risk a substitution (getting put out of a team due to inactivity) or a no-contest match. Don't risk yourself or your own team.

Within 72 hours after the Weekly Match-Ups are posted:

•  

• Respond to your opponent either agreeing to one of the proposed times or, if none of them work for you, respond with at least 3 time ranges that will work for you

• When a time is agreed on, post in the weekly thread with the time of the battle

• If you do not respond before the 72 hour limit: you must still respond 48 hours before the deadline.

48 Hours before the Weekly Deadline:

•  

• If neither opponent has PM'd with a time: The match is considered no-contest and does not count for either team.

• If your opponent responds but doesn't do that within 72 hours of the Weekly Match-Ups are posted you are required to respond in 24 hours. You may accept the times given by your opponent or give 3+ new times that your opponent has to accept.

• If one opponent PM'd within the timeframe and did not receive a response from the other player: The player who did not respond forfeits the match. It is a Win for the player who sent a PM and a Loss for the player who failed to respond.

Of course after the battle is done report in the weekly thread that you won or lost.

Huge thanks to Imgur for summarizing it in a clearer way and to Aldaron from Smogon for the system.

Activity Decisions

There will always be matches that fail to be completed. But as this system can be abused to give your team an unfair advantage (like when you are up 4-3 and don’t want to risk a tie) activity decision must be made. If both parties are deemed to be equally enthusiastic about completing their match but just could not make it: the match will result in a no contest. If one party makes significantly more effort in trying to get a battle done this player can be awarded a win.

Things that will most likely lose your match in case of an activity decision:

•  

• Failing to PM your opponent as quickly as possible.

• Scheduling a match but missing this match.

• Failing to provide concrete and reasonable times.

• Failing to respond to your opponent in PMs at all.

PM evidence will always weigh heavier than in-game screenshots. So always, always make sure that you contact your opponent by PM, no matter how well you know him/her.

In general:

Prize

Prize pool will be split between the winning team, manager however will recieve 1.5x amount a player will. A player who has played less than 4 matches in a winning team is entitled to 0.75x prize of a player.

Sportsmanship

You will respect your teammates and above all you will respect your manager. If you got drafted by a manager you don't like or want you will have to put these feelings aside. Signing up is like signing a contract, and these are conditions you have to accept. Disobeying your PSL duties will result in blacklisting.

At any point of time the host can give you a warning or a restriction based on your behavior. Don’t act like a uguu and you should be fine. Trying to purposely evade matches, or not trying to get your match done for example can result in penalties.

It’s fine to have a little bit of drama, in fact in can make the whole PSL experience more enjoyable. Don’t push it though and please refrain from flaming excessively. Try to keep interaction on a human level so we can all avoid large scale drama’s. Picking on players is fine as long as it doesn’t turn in to harassment.

Midseason Auction

On week 4 of the PSL Midseason Auctions will be put up. On week 3 players get the chance to sign up if they missed the initial signups, or can sign up again if they hadn’t been auctioned. Note that if you were on the first free agent list but did not get drafted that you’ll have to sign up again in order to get on the Mid Season free auction list.

Auctioning in the Mid Season will be on the forums instead of a live auction. The rules for the Mid Season Auctions are as follows:

•  

• Starting bids on any player is 1.000 credits.

• Minimum raise is 250 credits.

• Only bids posted in the thread are 'legal'.

• Bids can't be retracted.

• If there has been no overbid on a bid for 24 hours, the player goes to the highest bidder.

Reversing Rulings

Once a week ends rulings will be irreversible. Any appeal on a ruling (like an activity decision or a rule breaking) must be made during the week the ruling was made. After the week concludes any decisions will be final, no exceptions.

Currently: Week 1

Spoilers are a fucking mess but at least theyre better than they were haha
Edited by Gunthug

Current Donations: 27.110.721 (20m goal Surpassed)

8m - Gunthug
2.44m - Vorred

1.8m - gypps

1.62m - Kurodashi

1m - Forfi
1m - Frags

1m - Krillin
1m - Bilburt

1m - Sztajger

750k - Orangemaniac

550k - Mewtwo

500,069 - Eggplant
500k - NikhilR

500k - sparkie
500k - BlackJovi
500k - DoctorPBC/J

500k - Lifestyle

500k - CaptainGrey

400k - spaintakula

300,031 - Kizhaz
300k - DoubleJ

300k - LuisPocho

300k - Jice

250k - schuchty

250k - zeikooo

250k - leviiticus
200,621 - Coolio
200k - guerinf

200k - KaosXV

150k - viciou

2x Bunny ears, 100k - fred
Guntine- Gary

2x xmas present and jack o lanturn- bluebreath

Guys, any donation is helpful - don't feel like you have to donate several hundred K's if you're constantly wavering around the 20k region. We'll get to 20m, dont worry

Just mail me in game with any donations, or find me and trade me if you don't wanna pay dat mail fee

Edited by Gunthug

PSL blacklist (not allowed to play for this season):

Poronmaster

RELEVANT LINKS:

Standings and Statistics:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tRTwZbYHMRgoNJ6-spkI7ECbLsc61mh5iVbAUD5By1Y/edit?usp=sharing

player signups and draft results:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1SmtXvuYd40vCxGeYFtyGYZG0MqEMH0_VLaZ1r8_kxsM/edit#gid=0

challonge schedule and standings:

http://challonge.com/PSLV

Edited by Gunthug

I'm bad, but oh well. Also, I'll toss you that 200k I owe this next time I'm online. I'm also considering reviving Team Mountain. Would be a good opportunity to stay connected and also prove that my team can actually be good (I hope). 

Lets bring back the PSL2 Team Mountain :)