"Are you sure you want to evolve your pokemon?"

pikabuuh

Question

I'm sure i'm not the only one who accidently evolved a poke too soon. This could be helped if you had to actually press YES to evolve it.

We can relearn all moves with shrooms, in case we evolved it too late, but theres no way to devolve our pokes (nor should there be. this isnt digimon).

I think this is a nice suggestion, most applicable pokemon would be chansey in that case since Blissy is ubers and it evolves through happiness, i had to make doubly sure not to evolve it.

Edit:

With the ability to cancel your evolutions, I don't really think this is necessary. If anything, the extra prompt would prove more of a nuisance than a convenience in the long run.

I believe even if it proves to be a minor annoyance for some people it is objectively better, I can see situations (Again lets just chansey as an example) where you gain exp and level up, but for whatever reason you are literally unable to click the cancel button (your mouse dies, your keyboard disconnects, you disconnect from server, etc etc.) This would save more heart ache than it would cause I feel.

Edited by Matoka

this would be neat,

a player is always bound to go away from pokemmo at the end of battles and then come back to find that your pokemon accidentally evolved and you messed up movesets

first for competitive play where you can use shrooms as stated

second for breeding eggmoves where if you accidentally evolve your sentret now you need 10 levels more for furret to learn the move you want

maybe dont implement the pop-up, but at least require a key press for the evolution to go on like in later gens

"your pokemon is evolving!"

>await key press

>evolution animation kicks in and it evolves (you can cancel at this point as usual)

If it did prove to be a nuisance to some people over time, one simple fix is to simply have an option in the settings that enables / disables the check if you want to evolve it. that would mean there would be objectively no down sides to this.

If you really want to evolve a Pokemon one more click or button press doesn't hurt and I'd gladly click once more for every other evo to make sure I get the right eeveelution and don't evolve my 500k+ Meowth/Chansey rendering them useless.

nah. Having the option to say no, or have the pokemon hold an everstone is good enough. And let's be serious. If you are training a Chansey or something that you really do not want to evolve, you're gonna be paying attention.

If it did prove to be a nuisance to some people over time, one simple fix is to simply have an option in the settings that enables / disables the check if you want to evolve it. that would mean there would be objectively no down sides to this.

This would imply that the feature would be automatically turned on from the beginning of character creation. It would still be a nuisance to people as most new players wouldn't realize that they could turn it off; thus making it an ever so slightly more annoying gameplay.

With the ability to cancel your evolutions, I don't really think this is necessary. If anything, the extra prompt would prove more of a nuisance than a convenience in the long run.

No offense but its not like you costantly evolve like say a prompt when ev training would be a problem, so theres no way it would be a nuisance to anyone.....its a good idea :) Edited by bigbangattack

No offense but its not like you costantly evolve like say a prompt when ev training would be a problem, so theres no way it would be a nuisance to anyone.....its a good idea :)

Eehhh no it's not. There is a thing called an everstone if you maybe ever heard of it?? I mean come on mate everytime a poke evolves the cancel button appears and it takes like no less then 8 seconds for a poke to evolve so you have quite a while to click that button.I personally think everytime I have to say yes to evolve a poke will bother me in the long run like Rachel said.

Well I once accidentally evolved a shiny haunter to gengar because I lagged for 5 secs after trading, and when it turned back to normal I had a gengar in my party, totally support

Edit: or just add a button on the summary to evolve once it has met the requirements (level, happiness, etc) to evolve

Edited by Kyokatsu

Eehhh no it's not. There is a thing called an everstone if you maybe ever heard of it?? I mean come on mate everytime a poke evolves the cancel button appears and it takes like no less then 8 seconds for a poke to evolve so you have quite a while to click that button.I personally think everytime I have to say yes to evolve a poke will bother me in the long run like Rachel said.

Everstone means they can't cant hold a EXP share or Macho Brace or Lucky egg. Everstone is not a solution to this problem in most cases.

Also yes we can cancel it when we are prompted, that is fine. however sometimes you might not be able to physically (Called away, Keyboard is unplugged etc etc)

It is niché but i still think it should at least be an optional feature we can turn on / off in the menu.

if you want to evolve a pokemon, the extra "ok" is a 1 time thing

if you want to not evolve  pokemon, the "pay attention, wait and hit cancel" is a n times thing

your route 115 pidgeys argument is bad

The majority of people don't care about their pokemon evolving. This is a suggestion that argues that the majority should be inconvenienced (yes having to hit the "ok" button everytime your pokemon wants to evolve is an inconvenience no matter how small) for the shortcomings of the few (the small portion who lagg when a pokemon is trying to evolve). You simply just have to weigh the benefit against the cost. Personally I think the cost outweighs the benefit here.

I think it's also important to understand that I see unwanted evolutions as a benefit to the game (causes people to rebreed / spend more time in the game). And since there are methods already available for keeping the pokemon from evolving you can't call it a bad game mechanic.

edit: A game with risk is more fun than a game with no risk.

Everstone means they can't cant hold a EXP share or Macho Brace or Lucky egg. Everstone is not a solution to this problem in most cases.

Except it is. Just because they can't hold and exp share or a macho brace doesn't invalidate the everstone. It means that if you want to be absolutely safe about a pokemon not evolving, then you should give it an everstone and not enjoy the privilege of expedited training that you can enjoy with other pokemon that don't have such a restriction.

Edited by Gilan

The majority of people don't care about their pokemon evolving. This is a suggestion that argues that the majority should be inconvenienced (yes having to hit the "ok" button everytime your pokemon wants to evolve is an inconvenience no matter how small) for the shortcomings of the few (the small portion who lagg when a pokemon is trying to evolve). You simply just have to weigh the benefit against the cost. Personally I think the cost outweighs the benefit here.

I think it's also important to understand that I see unwanted evolutions as a benefit to the game (causes people to rebreed / spend more time in the game). And since there are methods already available for keeping the pokemon from evolving you can't call it a bad game mechanic.

edit: A game with risk is more fun than a game with no risk.

Except it is. Just because they can't hold and exp share or a macho brace doesn't invalidate the everstone. It means that if you want to be absolutely safe about a pokemon not evolving, then you should give it an everstone and not enjoy the privilege of expedited training that you can enjoy with other pokemon that don't have such a restriction.

This issue is not the validity of Everstone being an item, but the fact that sometimes you are not able to prevent the evolution of a Pokemon when it is not holding Everstone.

Everstone's function as an evolution disabling item is secondary to its function in breeding, so we would not be invalidating Everstone. If you are saying you disagree that this suggestion should be implemented because it would invalidate the use of Everstone's hold functionality, Please elaborate why you advocate Everstone so much. If you have a specific reason I would like to hear it, If you don't then it just seems like you are arguing for the sake of arguing.

Also, starting your argument by mentioning "The majority of people" is never a good point because obviously there are people who are NOT the majority. and there is no reason to not bother catering to them because they aren't the majority.

Edited by Matoka

Everstone's function as an evolution disabling item is secondary to its function in breeding

The item was originally designed the other way around tho, "ever"stone's main function is to prevent a pokemon from evolving.

Edited by axx

This issue is not the validity of Everstone being an item, but the fact that sometimes you are not able to prevent the evolution of a Pokemon when it is not holding Everstone.

Everstone's function as an evolution disabling item is secondary to its function in breeding, so we would not be invalidating Everstone. If you are saying you disagree that this suggestion should be implemented because it would invalidate the use of Everstone's hold functionality, Please elaborate why you advocate Everstone so much. If you have a specific reason I would like to hear it, If you don't then it just seems like you are arguing for the sake of arguing.

Also, starting your argument by mentioning "The majority of people" is never a good point because obviously there are people who are NOT the majority. and there is no reason to not bother catering to them because they aren't the majority.

This whole suggestion is talking about a way to stop unwanted evolutions. You're the one who totally dismissed the everstone in the first place. I was just pointing out that dismissing everstones is wrong. And I believe I perfectly explained myself in terms of the everstone in my previous post. There is nothing to elaborate.

In regards to the "majority of people", did you not read my post? It is always important to determine who benefits most, the majority or the minority in an MMO. If the minority can only benefit at the expense of the Majority, then the minority should not benefit. That's what I was trying to convey.

[spoiler]I also just wanted to say that you are starting to piss me off. Accusing me of arguing for the sake of arguing, and your general tone is coming off quite negative. (and it's not just in this thread)[/spoiler]

Accusing me of arguing for the sake of arguing,

[...] I've made plenty of arguments here just cause I was bored and wanted to have fun debating.

"I-I like to make sense except when I-I d-don't"

I think this is a nice suggestion, most applicable pokemon would be chansey in that case since Blissy is ubers and it evolves through happiness, i had to make doubly sure not to evolve it.

Edit:

I believe even if it proves to be a minor annoyance for some people it is objectively better, I can see situations (Again lets just chansey as an example) where you gain exp and level up, but for whatever reason you are literally unable to click the cancel button (your mouse dies, your keyboard disconnects, you disconnect from server, etc etc.) This would save more heart ache than it would cause I feel.

This happened to me twice, with chansey and meowth...rip. 

This whole suggestion is talking about a way to stop unwanted evolutions. You're the one who totally dismissed the everstone in the first place. I was just pointing out that dismissing everstones is wrong. And I believe I perfectly explained myself in terms of the everstone in my previous post. There is nothing to elaborate.

In regards to the "majority of people", did you not read my post? It is always important to determine who benefits most, the majority or the minority in an MMO. If the minority can only benefit at the expense of the Majority, then the minority should not benefit. That's what I was trying to convey.

[spoiler]I also just wanted to say that you are starting to piss me off. Accusing me of arguing for the sake of arguing, and your general tone is coming off quite negative. (and it's not just in this thread)[/spoiler]

In regards to what benefits most, it was mentioned earlier in the post that it could be an optional feature that is a setting in the options, that way people wouldn't be inconvenienced by it if they didn't want to.

Everstone's function as an evolution stopper is functional and is an option, assuming you already happen to have it equipped. this suggestion is for times when you cannot/forgot to equip it either absent mindedly or because you required another item at the time (such as Exp share for low level pokemon or Macho Brace when you are EV training). I did not dismiss everstone, however I do not think it is a good ENOUGH solution for the examples where this really matters.

Also, I am not deliberately trying to be negative about things, I am trying to take an unbias position, look at both sides, think of solutions to arguments from both sides. This is why I have adapted what I say based on facts mentioned

in this suggestion we have people who:

Want an alternative solution to everstones to prevent pokemon from evolving with a dialogue box of some form so it never evolves it automatically when we don't want it

and we have people who:

do not want to be inconvenienced by an additional prompt every time their pokemon were to evolve

do not want to invalidate everstone's function as a hold item for stopping evolution

based on this I listened to both sides and adapted what I think would be a good solution from simply a dialogue box always present to an option in the menu that is turned off by default that can be turned on to make it where the dialogue box appears when an evolution is about to occur.

I said that IF and only if: you had no reason why you cared so much about everstone then to me it seemed like you were arguing for the sake of arguing, you then tell me you feel no reason to elaborate further and choose to be offended, this statement by itself was not an accusation, it was a conditional, and by choosing not to elaborate further you fulfilled it.

I asked this because I could not empathize why you feel that maintaining everstone's (in this game's secondary) effect's validity is important

Other than your concern, with other people's opinions I feel I was able to adapt a solution which works for everyone, whenever I tried to ask you why you still disagreed you instead decided to turn hostile about this. I'm not even trying to play the "I did nothing wrong why are you getting offended character", I am legitimately unable to empathize with you on your point and I would like you to elaborate further because I am stupid and do not understand.

Edited by Matoka

When I've argued for the sake of arguing, it was quite obvious.

It stil is, you keep on repeating the same two arguments:

• Having the option to say no, or have the pokemon hold an everstone is good enough.
  • And since there are methods already available for keeping the pokemon from evolving you can't call it a bad game mechanic.

• This is a suggestion that argues that the majority should be inconvenienced (yes having to hit the "ok" button everytime your pokemon wants to evolve is an inconvenience no matter how small) for the shortcomings of the few (the small portion who lagg when a pokemon is trying to evolve).
  • In regards to the "majority of people", did you not read my post? It is always important to determine who benefits most, the majority or the minority in an MMO. If the minority can only benefit at the expense of the Majority, then the minority should not benefit. That's what I was trying to convey.

In regards to the first one, thats like saying "since we have payday and NPCS we dont need more ways to obtain money". New game mechanics are required to patch ones that do not covet to certain groups of players: like leveling up with exp share and then suffering a lag spike, you didnt use an everstone because you were paying attention and even then the game failed and you ended up with an unwanted evolution.

In regards to the second, its been done in the past when they added that auto-no thingy to go from kanto to hoenn. They implemented it and its something that bothers all the regular users in a daily basis. Its literally a single use thing for the noobs versus a thing that is used daily for regular players. Yet the development team weighted the need of the minority and deemed it important enough to do something about it. Moreover, convenience is something that should never impact in game design.

And last your opinion, yes opinion, unless you can provide statistical facts of what the "majority" is and what do they want:

• The majority of people don't care about their pokemon evolving.

tl;dr you posted your aguments and we read them, stop repeating yourself and bring something new to the table or you are just arguing for the sake of arguing.

Edited by axx

In regards to what benefits most, it was mentioned earlier in the post that it could be an optional feature that is a setting in the options, that way people wouldn't be inconvenienced by it if they didn't want to.

This would imply that the feature would be automatically turned on from the beginning of character creation. It would still be a nuisance to people as most new players wouldn't realize that they could turn it off; thus making it an ever so slightly more annoying gameplay.

I said that IF and only if: you had no reason why you cared so much about everstone then to me it seemed like you were arguing for the sake of arguing, you then tell me you feel no reason to elaborate further and choose to be offended, this statement by itself was not an accusation, it was a conditional, and by choosing not to elaborate further you fulfilled it.

There is nothing to elaborate.

You asked me if I had a reason why I cared about the Everstone, and I gave it... I physically can't elaborate on the fact because I said everything that was to be said and that I wanted to say.

I did not dismiss everstone, however I do not think it is a good ENOUGH solution for the examples where this really matters.

Fine, I'll concede that I was hasty in saying that you dismissed the everstone. However, I think that the fact that they can't hold an everstone and an exp share / Macho brace at the same time is something that differentiates pokemon that you don't want to evolve from those that you do.

tl;dr you posted your aguments and we read them, stop repeating yourself and bring something new to the table or you are just arguing for the sake of arguing.

All of 2 Posts. (the 3rd post was a further explanation of the 2nd post, and the 4th post was in response to you, and this post is the 5th post). And the 2nd post was a response and elaboration on my first post.

This is a really simple topic, there isn't a whole lot of variation or elaboration that you can do... Yet you guys just said "yes this is great, maybe making it an option would be better", and the moment I say nah and propose reasons why, you come at me and tell me that I need to elaborate and stop repeating myself and claim "the everstone isn't good enough". Well, why isn't it good enough? and if the answer is because the pokemon can't hold 2 items at the same time, then my response is the one above (about differentiating the pokemon).

tl;dr I've listed and explained my points for why this feature should not be added. I have also defended my responses and reactions. I have nothing further to add to this thread, and anything more would just be derailment of the thread.

edit:

And last your opinion, yes opinion, unless you can provide statistical facts of what the "majority" is and what do they want:

The majority is the vast number of players who play through the storyline and then quit. The eternal / forum players are the minority.

Edited by Gilan

• Having the option to say no, or have the pokemon hold an everstone is good enough.
  • And since there are methods already available for keeping the pokemon from evolving you can't call it a bad game mechanic.

• This is a suggestion that argues that the majority should be inconvenienced (yes having to hit the "ok" button everytime your pokemon wants to evolve is an inconvenience no matter how small) for the shortcomings of the few (the small portion who lagg when a pokemon is trying to evolve).
  • In regards to the "majority of people", did you not read my post? It is always important to determine who benefits most, the majority or the minority in an MMO. If the minority can only benefit at the expense of the Majority, then the minority should not benefit. That's what I was trying to convey.

In regards to the first one, thats like saying "since we have payday and NPCS we dont need more ways to obtain money". New game mechanics are required to patch ones that do not covet to certain groups of players: like leveling up with exp share and then suffering a lag spike, you didnt use an everstone because you were paying attention and even then the game failed and you ended up with an unwanted evolution.

In regards to the second, its been done in the past when they added that auto-no thingy to go from kanto to hoenn. They implemented it and its something that bothers all the regular users in a daily basis. Its literally a single use thing for the noobs versus a thing that is used daily for regular players. Yet the development team weighted the need of the minority and deemed it important enough to do something about it. Moreover, convenience is something that should never impact in game design.

I've accidently evolved my wynaut twice this evening. Im such a noob!

Im all for what's best for the majority! Just gotta pay better attention (:

OMG dude I think Gilan makes perfect sense and yet you keep arguing.It's a pointless suggestion.If you made a mistake evolving your poke the first time obviously you would think twice the next time you train a poke.The cancel button isn't popping up during the evolution stage for free.And what is the majority?The pokemmo players who do not concern themselves with bullshit like this.

I said it should be turned OFF by default.

My question was why you cared about the validity of everstone itself, as if you had a personal reason you loved the item.

Gilan, on 16 Apr 2016 - 6:52 PM, said:snapback.png

I never said it was a bad game mechanic, I said that it does it's job but in most scenarios this would be a better solution.

Is that to say that you want people to be inconvenienced because it is more of a money sink for the game? seriously? this was your reason? if that is the case then you are actively wanting people to fuck up and become sad so that the economy is more balanced? what? really? like actually really?

That is literally wishing sadness on others for your own gameplay to be better.

Edited by Matoka

I said it should be turned OFF by default.

Even though you didn't (you just mentioned being able to enable and disable), that doesn't really matter. Cluttering the ui with options is also a negative.

My question was why you cared about the validity of everstone itself, as if you had a personal reason you loved the item.

What the fuck do my personal relations with an everstone have to with anything?

98448860f4f040e060d6e3358e14155958526f88

Is that to say that you want people to be inconvenienced because it is more of a money sink for the game? seriously? this was your reason? if that is the case then you are actively wanting people to fuck up and become sad so that the economy is more balanced? what? really? like actually really?

Yes, I am being serious. Again, you seem to be completely biased to the notion and simply dismiss it in such a manner. Risk and loss is a feature of MMO's. Look at RS, it became significantly worse when people were able to reclaim all of their items upon death (which I believe is relate-able to this instance). Only recently they implemented the mechanic that you had to pay a significant portion of the dropped wealth as a fee to keep the items (because they realized that people not risking anything was bad).

If people are diligent then they don't have to worry. If people are lazy then, yes, they run the risk of messing up a pokemon and having to rebreed it. It stimulates the market and is overall healthy for the game. Sure they will feel displeasure at first, but they will then set out to fix their mistake, spending more time in game in the process.

I'm sorry, but you spoke about trying to be unbiased, yet I have found you are quite the opposite.