Chat Room for Automated Matches

Robofiend

Question

Let me preface this by saying: the main problem I see here is implementation. This could be anywhere from a little bit of work to a terribly frustrating amount of dev work. But...

I think it'd be awesome to have chat rooms for Automated Matches (Tourny, Ranked, Matchmaking). As is, the feel of tournaments is slightly off because you can't talk shit without keeping 20 message threads alive. And now that random matches aren't by default in an area where lots of people hang out, you lose the fun of being able to hang out in a hub with friends and watch battles. The pros of chat are obvious, really, it's one of the most enjoyable parts of other PVP games, and I'd be surprised if it weren't already on the dev docket.

At any rate, just thought I'd put this here so the suggestion's out in public, I've already heard a lot of people saying they want this in game.

10 answers to this question

Why don't we (the community) just agree for a gathering spot while automated tournies are going on? Like vivid or verm ch7 up 

It's not fun to shit talk unless the competitors get to see the messages directed at them. 

EDIT: A part of the hype also goes down for the competitor. How many times have we seen the spectators say in normal "oooh da plays" and normal chat going crazy af when some upset has happened! Those are all small things which made the tournament experience quite worthwhile.

For me, playing Pokemon has always been somewhat of a spectator sport, in the sense that I usually always play to impress my audience. It's one of those things that motivates me to play. 

Edited by NikhilR

It's not fun to shit talk unless the competitors get to see the messages directed at them. 

EDIT: A part of the hype also goes down for the competitor. How many times have we seen the spectators say in normal "oooh da plays" and normal chat going crazy af when some upset has happened! Those are all small things which made the tournament experience quite worthwhile.

For me, playing Pokemon has always been somewhat of a spectator sport, in the sense that I usually always play to impress my audience. It's one of those things that motivates me to play. 

This is so true.

Automated tournaments are awesome, but if officials lose their hype then people will care less for their prestige. The old tournament environment needs to be in some way preserved. Adding a tournament chat room would be awesome.

Why don't we (the community) just agree for a gathering spot while automated tournies are going on? Like vivid or verm ch7 up

This is already a thing.
There are 3 problems:
-Battlers are warped to a separate room, so rip normal and shout.
-They are also warped to channel 0 so rip channel chat.
-Global was removed and Trade is now channel-based so rip server wide chats.

Well I think the reason most people want a chat is to generally discuss or just talk about whatever.

If you have an extra chat for every match you will have the problem that everybody is forced to watch one match if they want to also take part in chatting.

I don't think a new channel is the way to go since the automated touraments enable you to watch from where you want.

I thought about it a bit before posting it here but maybe some kind of global chat for tournaments would be better (like global chat but only usable during official tournaments) since as I pointed out everyone can watch from where they want.

For matchmaking (like ranked) i don't think it needs an extra chat, most of the times it's either you alone against your opponent or you talk in team chat  with your mates.

Edited by Kurodashi

I think instead of having a chat room, it'd be better if things happened the old way where all the battlers and spectators used to be in the same arena. I don't know about most of you guys, but nowadays not only has my interest in playing officials decreased, but spectating them as well. It used to be "fun" to watch stall matches along with everyone else but now I don't think I have the patience to watch an OU game unless it's hyper offense. 

Basically keep the current system where people have to register for the tournament, let people start their matches whenever etc. but don't transport them to another arena where they are shut off from the rest of the community. I see the staff putting in a lot of effort to host a lot of events and it's great to see the brackets being filled as well, but the feeling of winning an official just no longer seems to be there. This could just be my side of things but I thought that it should be pointed out.