Berry Growth (a compromise between the community and staff)

Bestfriends

Question

3bf09872dd677eeaea3323d70924cf3f.pnga849730d458b94dc7604ab3baf36f4a8.png

I think that both the community and staff are frustrated with the result of berry farming being implemented, but I have one idea that might please both parties.....

A 1 for 3 system (just like in the Pokemon Emerald Game)

1. Keep Saffran cashier in his place, but sell the berries for 8k not 1k and add a berry cashier in the flower mart in Rustboro. (both places would sell the berries for 5k each)

2. Players can buy 1 lum berry for 8k for example and let the free market go to work. I go into a bit more detail in comment #5.

3. I disagree with Fred on his proposal to kill berries randomly. I think we should let the berries rot slowly instead of a randomized death (uncertainty in the grind = possible frustration).

4. Lets keep both methods, but reward the people who take the time to farm.

I would like to hear viewpoints on both sides of the argument. Do you agree with me on this or do you think I have a terrible idea?

Edited by Bestfriends

17 answers to this question

I don't mind paying to buy berrys as long as I'm not spending 10k or more on 1. I'd even consider using battle points. (i'm sure everything has a con)
Bestfriends your suggestion sounds nice but no one would buy berrys from other players unless they sell it for less than 5k since they can buy it at the store. I mean they can sell for less after growing some but i still don't see the reason since the amount of time to grow them wouldn't be all that great and profits would be small.
I honestly don't hate the whole growing berry system sounds like an awesome idea and a great use for those berry patches, (like many players) i just don't have the Time to log in to check on the berrys every couple hours.
I just want berrys to be cheap so i can take away points from a pokemons ev and use berrys in comp.
Ill look into this some more when i get home.

Edited by jerryzoo

I think jerry had an important point here if you make berries purchasable again with the berry system around you actually force a price onto those berries which  is pretty discouraging for an open market and just plain destroys the freedom for the people who sell their berries to choose for how much to sell them.

And no you can't tell me "but he still can" cause nobody is gonna buy a berry if it has a set price of 5k in the market but I want to sell it for 7.5k (just an example).

nah i just want my berries to cost 1k each again....

The likelihood of this happening is near impossible. However, a compromise in my opinion is needed. Jerry has a point, we should widen the gap of profit for those who would farm instead of buying berries at Saffran or the flower shop. Like make the berries cost 8k and then for the people who would take the effort to grow the berries and sell them for a cheaper price can gain a profit. Here is something that could prove beneficial, the free market farmers could lower down their prices satisfying you the competitive player. Let me give you a string of examples:

1. Jerryzoo purchases 1 lum berry for 8k. He then would grow 3 berries and sell all three for 7k on GTL for a profit of 13k. (8k was spent for 1 berry and then plants that berry and then his farm has 3 berries which he would plan to sell for 7k. Jerry would then earn a total of 21k (7k x 3) on GTL. 21k - 8k spent on the berry needed to farm = 13k profit)

2. DoubleJ has the bright idea of purchasing 1 lum berry from Jerry and then he would grow 3 berries. DoubleJ could then sell all 3 of his berries on GTL for 6k giving him in total of 18k.

18k - 7k = 11k profit

3. Forfiter would purchase 1 lum berry from DoubleJ on GTL. Forfiter could sell all three of his berries for 5k giving him a total 15k.

15k - 6k = 9k profit

-------

8. BlueJim would purchase 1 lum berry from GTL for 1k. BlueJim could sell all three of his berries for 1k giving him a total of 3k

3k - 2k = 1k profit

(At this point, the berries had reached an equilibrium price of 1k. As a person who would watch Milton Friedman videos, I would like to offer this question to JonazDK: "even though the equilibrium price is 1k, what happens if we could 'break the rule' and charge $500 pokeyen per berry on GTL?" You would profit much more from this system than the original 1k system from Saffran's berry mart. This would ultimately make Saffran's mart useless and just in case some man or woman goes on an ego trip and decides to sell berries for 30k each since there are no berries around on GTL, the Saffran mart is there to counter his/her plan.)

Edited by Bestfriends

The likelihood of this happening is near impossible. However, a compromise in my opinion is needed. Jerry has a point, we should widen the gap of profit for those who would farm instead of buying berries at Saffran or the flower shop. Like make the berries cost 8k and then for the people who would take the effort to grow the berries and sell them for a cheaper price can gain a profit. Here is something that could prove beneficial, the free market farmers could lower down their prices satisfying you the competitive player. Let me give you a string of examples:

1. Jerryzoo purchases 1 lum berry for 8k. He then would grow 3 berries and sell all three for 7k on GTL for a profit of 13k. (8k was spent for 1 berry and then plants that berry and then his farm has 3 berries which he would plan to sell for 7k. Jerry would then earn a total of 21k (7k x 3) on GTL. 21k - 8k spent on the berry needed to farm = 13k profit)

2. DoubleJ has the bright idea of purchasing 1 lum berry from Jerry and then he would grow 3 berries. DoubleJ could then sell all 3 of his berries on GTL for 6k giving him in total of 18k.

18k - 7k = 11k profit

3. Forfiter would purchase 1 lum berry from DoubleJ on GTL. Forfiter could sell all three of his berries for 5k giving him a total 15k.

15k - 6k = 9k profit

-------

8. BlueJim would purchase 1 lum berry from GTL for 1k. BlueJim could sell all three of his berries for 1k giving him a total of 3k

3k - 2k = 1k profit

(At this point, the berries had reached an equilibrium price of 1k. As a person who would watch Milton Friedman videos, I would like to offer this question to JonazDK: "even though the equilibrium price is 1k, what happens if we could 'break the rule' and charge $500 pokeyen per berry on GTL?" You would profit much more from this system than the original 1k system from Saffran's berry mart. This would ultimately make Saffran's mart useless and just in case some man or woman goes on an ego trip and decides to sell berries for 30k each since there are no berries around on GTL, the Saffran mart is there to counter his/her plan.)

As the system is now i don't think lum berries will go under 8k each on gtl, but if I will be proved wrong and they will cost 1k on GTL i will be fine with this sytem

As the system is now i don't think lum berries will go under 8k each on gtl, but if I will be proved wrong and they will cost 1k on GTL i will be fine with this sytem

What I am saying is to implement Saffran mart as a counter to pompous individuals. Someone with a brain like Jerryzoo could compete against Saffran which would in turn have DoubleJ compete against Jerry and so on so forth. Who would be profit out of this system, you the consumer. 

Now for the person who hunts for seeds, can bypass the purchase made at Saffran which would give the seed hunter a bigger margin of profit. Like if the price is 7k per berry, you can charge 6k per berry and the mathematical equation would look like this = 6x3 = 18/ 18k profit because you took the time to hunt for the seeds instead of purchasing 1 which would let you make a full profit instead of deducting a purchase price.

[spoiler]Capitalism at work![/spoiler]

Edited by Bestfriends

I'm not an economics master, but for the few things i know, i believe this is not too healthy.

How could this not be too healthy? People can compete against each other for a lower price. Think of it like TargetKmart, Kroger, and Wal-Mart. I am going to let you determine who will get more consumers:

Lets pretend that the wholesaler for Land O'Lakes butter will let each store purchase its product for a total of $2.50 per container.

Target sets the trend by selling their butter for a total of $30.

Kmart saw Target selling the butter for $30, so they decrease their price to $15

Kroger decided to hire people who pretended to be customers for Kmart. Once these agents saw the price of the butter, they report back to the Kroger executives and they decide to sell the butter for $5.

Wal-Mart being the king of cheap for a few years now, would take one glance at Kroger's price and they would immediately cut their price down to $3. Wal-Mart has hit the equilibrium.

We can apply this to PokeMMO as well....

Saffron is competing with people by pricing their berries at 8k per berry.

Jerryzoo being the avid farmer of PokeMMO decides to sell all three of his berries for 7k.

DoubleJ not too pleased with the price Jerry has for his product, so he decides to purchase one of his berries and he would then grow 3 and sell all of them for 6k.

KaynineXL does farming for a hobby. He would then purchase one of DoubleJ's Berries and he decides to sell his berries for 3k each.

Forfiter would see Kaynine's berry price and he would say, "man as the leader of Pokemon Aura, I would like to lead a trend as well!" So he would grow berries and would sell them on Global Trade Link for 1k each. Forfiter would therefore hit the equilibrium.

[spoiler]Simply put, competition would lower prices and would in turn make Saffron useless. The only time Saffron would become useful was if some man/woman with a strong ego would decide to trash the free market by selling their berries for 100k each. Saffron Mart is there to counter this sort of behaviour so the community as a whole can have "fair" prices for our products.[/spoiler]

Edited by Bestfriends

How could this not be too healthy? People can compete against each other for a lower price. Think of it like TargetKmart, Kroger, and Wal-Mart. I am going to let you determine who will get more consumers:

Lets pretend that the wholesaler for Land O'Lakes butter will let each store purchase its product for a total of $2.50 per container.

Target sets the trend by selling their butter for a total of $30.

Kmart saw Target selling the butter for $30, so they decrease their price to $15

Kroger decided to hire people who pretended to be customers for Kmart. Once these agents saw the price of the butter, they report back to the Kroger executives and they decide to sell the butter for $5.

Wal-Mart being the king of cheap for a few years now, would take one glance at Kroger's price and they would immediately cut their price down to $3. Wal-Mart has hit the equilibrium.

We can apply this to PokeMMO as well....

Saffron is competing with people by pricing their berries at 8k per berry.

Jerryzoo being the avid farmer of PokeMMO decides to sell all three of his berries for 7k.

DoubleJ not too pleased with the price Jerry has for his product, so he decides to purchase one of his berries and he would then grow 3 and sell all of them for 6k.

KaynineXL does farming for a hobby. He would then purchase one of DoubleJ's Berries and he decides to sell his berries for 3k each.

Forfiter would see Kaynine's berry price and he would say, "man as the leader of Pokemon Aura, I would like to lead a trend as well!" So he would grow berries and would sell them on Global Trade Link for 1k each. Forfiter would therefore hit the equilibrium.

[spoiler]Simply put, competition would lower prices and would in turn make Saffron useless. The only time Saffron would become useful was if some man/woman with a strong ego would decide to trash the free market by selling their berries for 100k each. Saffron Mart is there to counter this sort of behaviour so the community as a whole can have "fair" prices for our products.[/spoiler]

look at it by this point of view:

Actually 1 berry= 5-12 berrys + watering time (that now isnt much, i experienced it) but when you look it...it remember to something.....something like....like OLD breeding system!. Why? well you can invest in some seeds or 1/2 berrys to obtain seeds (breeders) and with some of time you have like 5-7 times more berrys than before, and keeping the same procces you will be literally swimming on berries! And what will happen with it? will happen the same thing that you're suggesting but giving us the "breeders".

Of course, for sure you can wonder why devs make a system like this? well that's the reason why berry planting is so TEDIOUS AS F***k.... and of course you can't compare comps with berrys, berrys are consumable and the demand will keep but the supply depend on people that farm, and price will depend on people's WILLPAWAH, so if people plant a lot, berrys will be cheap in any moment; but if people don't want to plant, price will rise!, so it is now a player based economic.

What could happen with a berry merchant? they will make a brench in the price and limit the economy nature, so in case that people don't have willpower to grind berrys...No one will farm, berry economy dies because it won't be viable, and at the end, we will have a berry merchant with more expensive berrys......OR will happen what you said, which is ok but it's just a posibility and is unnecesary. 

look at it by this point of view:

Actually 1 berry= 5-12 berrys + watering time (that now isnt much, i experienced it) but when you look it...it remember to something.....something like....like OLD breeding system!. Why? well you can invest in some seeds or 1/2 berrys to obtain seeds (breeders) and with some of time you have like 5-7 times more berrys than before, and keeping the same procces you will be literally swimming on berries! And what will happen with it? will happen the same thing that you're suggesting but giving us the "breeders".

Of course, for sure you can wonder why devs make a system like this? well that's the reason why berry planting is so TEDIOUS AS F***k.... and of course you can't compare comps with berrys, berrys are consumable and the demand will keep but the supply depend on people that farm, and price will depend on people's WILLPAWAH, so if people plant a lot, berrys will be cheap in any moment; but if people don't want to plant, price will rise!, so it is now a player based economic.

What could happen with a berry merchant? they will make a brench in the price and limit the economy nature, so in case that people don't have willpower to grind berrys...No one will farm, berry economy dies because it won't be viable, and at the end, we will have a berry merchant with more expensive berrys......OR will happen what you said, which is ok but it's just a posibility and is unnecesary. 

I differ from your viewpoint, I think that having a merchant at Saffran Mart is an excellent counter to the player who monopolizes the berry market by putting in a desired price. Man no one wants to plant any berries so let me jack up the price to 1 mil per lum berry and 1.5 mil for EV reducing berries. If you want to go comp, you'll have to be just like Josh Lindsay or we could have the mart there to prevent inflated egos. I know that berry planting is tedious, but this is not an excuse to mark up the berries to Josh Lindsay prices. At that rate, there would be a massive drop in competitive performance and a sudden increase in shiny trading. I think Saffran Mart should sell berries again, but make the berries 8k.

I differ from your viewpoint, I think that having a merchant at Saffran Mart is an excellent counter to the player who monopolizes the berry market by putting in a desired price. Man no one wants to plant any berries so let me jack up the price to 1 mil per lum berry and 1.5 mil for EV reducing berries. If you want to go comp, you'll have to be just like Josh Lindsay or we could have the mart there to prevent inflated egos. I know that berry planting is tedious, but this is not an excuse to mark up the berries to Josh Lindsay prices. At that rate, there would be a massive drop in competitive performance and a sudden increase in shiny trading. I think Saffran Mart should sell berries again, but make the berries 8k.

Ok so since we differ with that.... Doesn't sound better a seed merchant? so if the price inflate too much, people will just plant their own shiet and aswell as people keep doing it, prices will drop a lot.

After all, in a player based economy, it cannot be good in anyway when people don't farm.

add an npc that sells berry seeds

shorten the time the plants need to fully grow by alot 

(also cut down the amount of berries you'll get from a plant so the market doesn't get flooded with berries even tho they are a onetime-use item which shouldn't be rare in any case to begin with...)

or just scrap the whole idea sit back and think about your game for a while....

Edited by RyoOhsora

Ok so since we differ with that.... Doesn't sound better a seed merchant? so if the price inflate too much, people will just plant their own shiet and aswell as people keep doing it, prices will drop a lot.

After all, in a player based economy, it cannot be good in anyway when people don't farm.

add an npc that sells berry seeds

shorten the time the plants need to fully grow by alot 

(also cut down the amount of berries you'll get from a plant so the market doesn't get flooded with berries even tho they are a onetime-use item which shouldn't be rare in any case to begin with...)

or just scrap the whole idea sit back and think about your game for a while....

Can't we let Saffran limit the price up to 8k? This is where businesses can come in. Someone might want to set the trend by selling berries lower than the market value. Anotherwards, you the player can profit off the Saffran market (if you have the time to plant the berry purchased). I think that making a system like this would increase revenue for each player which would turn a berry farmer into a competing personality. Here is an example of the free market at work:

46bf3cce373420dad5e9b4e40e7e75d5.png

I would say that we need what's called a "cap" or a "barrier" to prevent the prices from being too high. Like what happens if all the lum berries are sold out and the market is filled with people that make lum berries cost 100k? This is why I am advocating for Saffran to sell berries again, but the free market could make Saffran either become useful or useless. Think of Saffran Mart as a policemart making sure that the prices stay below 8k. Here is what would happen if the "Saffran Cap" would come into effect:

81afd28773458c04da90b4d63d3f0fa1.png

Edited by Bestfriends

Can't we let Saffran limit the price up to 8k? This is where businesses can come in. Someone might want to set the trend by selling berries lower than the market value. Anotherwards, you the player can profit off the Saffran market (if you have the time to plant the berry purchased). I think that making a system like this would increase revenue for each player which would turn a berry farmer into a competing personality. Here is an example of the free market at work:

46bf3cce373420dad5e9b4e40e7e75d5.png

I would say that we need what's called a "cap" or a "barrier" to prevent the prices from being too high. Like what happens if all the lum berries are sold out and the market is filled with people that make lum berries cost 100k? This is why I am advocating for Saffran to sell berries again, but the free market could make Saffran either become useful or useless. Think of Saffran Mart as a policemart making sure that the prices stay below 8k. Here is what would happen if the "Saffran Cap" would come into effect:

81afd28773458c04da90b4d63d3f0fa1.png

Here in Venezuela prices of some products were limited by a law, now investigate the state of the economy in Venezuela if you want to (is not good, even bad, is traumatic; but ofc is not only for that)... Maybe i'm just traumatized and thats why im afraid of it, and maybe you are right and it could work, but i just don't like it.

Here in Venezuela prices of some products were limited by a law, now investigate the state of the economy in Venezuela if you want to (is not good, even bad, is traumatic; but ofc is not only for that)... Maybe i'm just traumatized and thats why im afraid of it, and maybe you are right and it could work, but i just don't like it.

I am not advocating to not let people increase the price. If people want to do that, its their choice, however, the Saffron Cap is meant to make sure the prices are reasonable. I don't want competitive play to be a rich man's sport, I want it to be everybody's sport. Now, I am NOT advocating for socialism, I think that people should earn what they have (hence the reason why I am not really upset about the pay day grind). At the same time though, the prices shouldn't be unreasonable either. If someone wants to make the price 100k for each lum berry, go right ahead. You won't sell it with the Saffron Cap. Venezuela is a socialist country and a socialist country is in my book, a failed country. We need capitalism, but we need a "cap" on it so that way people can strive to lower down their prices to compete with other farmers.

Edited by Bestfriends

I am not advocating to not let people increase the price. If people want to do that, its their choice, however, the Saffron Cap is meant to make sure the prices are reasonable. I don't want competitive play to be a rich man's sport, I want it to be everybody's sport. Now, I am NOT advocating for socialism, I think that people should earn what they have (hence the reason why I am not really upset about the pay day grind). At the same time though, the prices shouldn't be unreasonable either. If someone wants to make the price 100k for each lum berry, go right ahead. You won't sell it with the Saffron Cap. Venezuela is a socialist country and a socialist country is in my book, a failed country. We need capitalism, but we need a "cap" on it so that way people can strive to lower down their prices to compete with other farmers.

Are you really comparing a damn MMO to real life governments?

Fukin hell man, this is Pokemon.