Start Punishing Scammers

Rigamorty

Question

The fact that "scamming" has remained allowed for so long in this game is astounding. It's such a detrimental thing for MMOs. There's no good reason for it to not be against the rules and it should most certainly be punishable with bans and even better the return of stolen goods.

Now when I say scam I don't mean like "this guy gave me a bad offer and I accepted it now I'm full of regret" I mean things like "hey man can I borrow/hold that" then never returning it, or "we'll trade I'll give you these 5 first and then the other 5 after" and running off after the first half.

Excuses we've seen before are "well we can't moderate every trade" but that's bullshit. Trades already are moderated, I've seen enough Real World Trading bans to know that. And even sillier shit like account sharing is moderated.

We've also got the "but there's so many things put in place to help people not get scammed" yeah, great, that means less things to fall through the cracks that actually need punishment making it even easier to moderate. Just because scamming is mostly avoidable doesn't mean it doesn't happen. And people who do manage to still trick people shouldn't be protected the way they are, they should be punished.

If a report is made by a player with enough evidence to show a blatant scam, something should be done about it.

Edited by Rigamorty

don't know if this is considered a scam or not, but there's also those guys who ask you to purchase something for them from the gift shop, and instead of paying whatever the price was, they'll just say 'jk' or just leave

idk if anything can even be done about this, but ive had it happen to me a year and a half ago and its pretty annoying

As someone who has been a general MMO player across 6 years, I have experienced different scams, and before I go into detail, I will clarrify -

• Scammers SHOULD be dealt with.

Well duh. Not to sound pessimistic, but I'm surprised more people are not trying to scam since there are no real consequences by this. For me, it's simple. If someone has scammed, then yeah, I understand mods being so reluctant to give the person who was initially scammed a 'refund', but the scammer should lose all their stuff, if not banned. They should also be blocked from making new accounts, too. (depends on the severity)

• If you think "I'll never get scammed" or "We have placed things to prevent scamming" then you are naive af.

For the mods who say they've placed everything to stop people being scammed, here's a hypothesis for you.

I join a team dedicated to comps. Everyone there is very nice and friendly, discussing comps, helping with the movesets and the general meta. You and everyone known this teammate as a good friend for several months or even years, even acknowledged and respected by PokeMMO staff. The following happens...

a) You've been borrowing comps/yen for a long period of time and suddenly that teammate scams you for no warning, either because they initially want to quit or because they're bored of the team, etc.

b ) Your teammates have secretly been plotting to scam one of the team members for whatever reason. (This sounds stupid, but it has happened on MMOs I have played)

Staff, people who have been scammed are not necessarily 'stupid' or 'noob' as they may seem to be, there can be deeper circumstances involved, as I have witnessed several times. Actions do need to be taken or more methods of scamming can happen, and at any time. It seems that since you aren't discouraging scammers enough, more will appear, and it will become a long-term problem.

Edited by Imperial

Considering this thread is all about scamming, I'd say this thread is pretty decent to discuss that.

But what do I know, I am but a kid.

The thread is about punishing scammers.

If you want to discuss a new way to trade-evolve pokemons to prevent scamms that will take place in another thread.

One suggestion per thread, that's the rule.  -_-

I mean with off topic gone what else staff does now in forums besides delete post in trade threads why waste your time doing this whem you could ban scammers lol could look into scams I've had insane valid proof often and still nothing.

The only staff who reallly does help and its for rmt is rachelucario she's the real MVP God bless.

Edited by SneaKyKhaLidA

While I like the suggestion I think its also not very realistic, I mean they even closed off-topic because no one wanted to moderate (correct me if im wrong)

The reason for Off-Topic's closure was not because no one wanted to moderate it.