Pass EVs from breeding

DoctorPBC

Question

19 answers to this question

This has been suggested quite a few times. Every time it is, my only thought is: If a dad works out and gets muscular, that's not passed on to his kid. His bay is still born fat and pudgy. I think the reason the devs haven't implemented this is because it just doesn't fit into any sort of story. It's just too lore-breaking, i suppose.

This has been suggested quite a few times. Every time it is, my only thought is: If a dad works out and gets muscular, that's not passed on to his kid. His bay is still born fat and pudgy. I think the reason the devs haven't implemented this is because it just doesn't fit into any sort of story. It's just too lore-breaking, i suppose.

Sigh, it hasn't been suggested. What has been suggested quite a few times was the implementation of EV Sliders, I don't recall ever seeing a suggestion exactly like this.

+1 for this though, can see downsides, but it's not like they haven't been said already in threads about updating the way EVs work.

EV training isn't even part of lore.

EV training isn't even part of lore.

Take a look a literally everything they've implemented in this game. Every feature has some sort of in-game explanation for why it works. How would you explain passing EV's through breeding? EV training is just like working out, like exercising. No matter how much your parents might exercise, you aren't going to gain any benefits from it. Their fitness is not part of your DNA. If you don't think this is the case, ask a dev. 

Edited by Pereiraa
The rules state that it is fine to post a suggestion that has been suggested before.

This exact thing has been suggested. I've seen it myself more than once.

Take a look a literally everything they've implemented in this game. Every feature has some sort of in-game explanation for why it works. How would you explain passing EV's through breeding? EV training is just like working out, like exercising. No matter how much your parents might exercise, you aren't going to gain any benefits from it. Their fitness is not part of your DNA. If you don't think this is the case, ask a dev. 

It still isn't lore. 

"The collective history and the sum of all knowledge available about a certain fantasy or sci-fi universe." 

EV training or EVs isn't part of the story line. Period. It is a mechanic in the game, nothing more.

Edited by Kite

It still isn't lore. 

"The collective history and the sum of all knowledge available about a certain fantasy or sci-fi universe." 

EV training or EVs isn't part of the story line. Period. It is a mechanic in the game, nothing more.

False.

It's referenced by NPCs and acknowledged by rewarding the player with an effort ribbon and there are berries that exist purely to remove EVs.

It's more than just a game mechanic.

False.

It's referenced by NPCs and acknowledged by rewarding the player with an effort ribbon and there are berries that exist purely to remove EVs.

It's more than just a game mechanic.

Which the effort ribbon can be obtained without actually EV training. So yes it's just a mechanic where the ribbon is a mere reward. It isn't part of the pokemon story line.  

Its no more lore-breaking than gender selection

so in real life both parents die when a baby is born

just stop there~

Which the effort ribbon can be obtained without actually EV training. So yes it's just a mechanic where the ribbon is a mere reward. It isn't part of the pokemon story line.

Correct me if I am wrong but you need either one stat maxed on evs or the full 510 evs in order to get the ribbon. If either are the case you still need the evs to get the ribbon. How you get them is your choice since you can use vitamins or ev train.

so in real life both parents die when a baby is born

just stop there~

"I'm the {STRING_10}. I breed {STRING_0} to help them unlock their true potential.

Your {STRING_0} seem healthy!

How about a trade?

I'll keep two of your {STRING_0}, and in return I will give you an egg."

Its no more lore-breaking than gender selection

"Would you like a specific gender? It'll cost a little extra.
Which would you prefer?"

We do think these things through and make sure they're explained.

He's not wrong.

In regards to gender selection, assume that he breeds multiple of the same species until he finds one that is a particular gender and is able to tell what gender it is before it's hatched - this wouldn't be impossible as according to an NPC in Generation VI, eggs are more like 'cradles' than actual eggs - which would mean it's likely possible to determine the gender of an egg either through experience or a scan of sorts.

Or, take a look at:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temperature-dependent_sex_determination

That's if you are looking for an explanation.

Either way, whilst we deliberately left that part ambiguous, there is some form of logic there based on existing information.

It's the same with EVs, which are implied to be points gained when 'working out' or winning battles, this was further enforced with the introduction of Super Training in Generation VI and the reward of the Effort Ribbon.

These things do have an explanation in the universe, even if they are not entirely black and white.

Having EVs passed through breeding would go against the characteristics that are already tied to Effort Values and what they are implied to be.

Anyway, disregarding all of the above explanations, I don't think this is the correct approach to 'fixing' EV training, it would appear to be a lot more like a quick solution to cutting down the amount of EV training a player would need to do rather than actually addressing the complaints.

Personally I'd introduce hordes into the wild and have them become a reliable source of EVs - this keeps the 'Effort' part of 'Effort Values' but also means it would take less time.

This is not something that the entire team agrees on however.

We do think these things through and make sure they're explained.
He's not wrong.

It's the same with EVs, which are implied to be points gained when 'working out' or winning battles, this was further enforced with the introduction of Super Training in Generation VI and the Effort Ribbon.

How do you explain gender selection? Is that just something those nifty cinnabar scientists have mastered?

Correct me if I am wrong but you need either one stat maxed on evs or the full 510 evs in order to get the ribbon. If either are the case you still need the evs to get the ribbon. How you get them is your choice since you can use vitamins or ev train.

It is still a reward for a game mechanic. EVs were implemented to let the multiplayer battles be more competitive. Doesn't matter if a NPC gives you a ribbon as it isn't related to any of the story at all. Just by leveling a pokemon to 100, you'll still get the EVs at max. It is as "lore" wise the same as Gold/Ethan beating Red on Mount Silver in Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal. Even though that never happened cannon wise. It was just extra content.

Edited by Kite

Sorry, I'd just finished editing my post as you had posted this - you can find an explanation above.

That's a pretty good explanation - and I'm glad we both agree that ev training needs fixing. Personally I'm 100% on board with hordes being incorporated into ev training, as I've been saying since the Xmas event. Hopefully you can sway your team members

Anyway, disregarding all of the above explanations, I don't think this is the correct approach to 'fixing' EV training, it would appear to be a lot more like a quick solution to cutting down the amount of EV training a player would need to do rather than actually addressing the complaints.

Personally I'd introduce hordes into the wild and have them become a reliable source of EVs - this keeps the 'Effort' part of 'Effort Values' but also means it would take less time.

This is not something that the entire team agrees on however.

So if hordes are not something the team agrees on what about https://forums.pokemmo.eu/index.php?/topic/35591-dark-patches-of-grass/?hl=dark+grass#entry1203707to help fix the EV training and make it easier but not quite make 5 pokemon appear at once like the Hordes from the christmas event did.