Random Bracket

bl0nde

Question

I was messing around in channel 1 and 2 chat for the first time in months and got a reminder that there is a whole community of casuals dueling without good IV's, EV's, and movesets, . When I see them, I speculate that only a portion of them will stay with the competitive scene long enough to make it to playing in brackets and tournaments with us (oldies/veterans). I think this is bad so I have been trying to think of a way to get the casuals on even ground with us in a portion of the game. This is in hopes that they will have fun then want to make their own pokemon to duel with us - a bridge between us and the noobs so PokeMMO might grow more.

This is my first idea, the "random bracket". If you have played pokemon showdown it's the exact same thing and I think it is a viable suggestion with automated tournaments coming out. I don't think this puts us into battle simulator mode because you can fit it with the story and have a little NPC walk up to you and say "these 6 pokemon have been selected for you this match, good luck!".

I think it could really get people playing the game more when they say "this is fun, but now I want my own stuff". Then they could be building their team while they played randoms. Casuals from showdown and etc could play through the story then play with us too in randoms bracket.

Edited by bl0nde

7 answers to this question

Yeah that would actually be really fun but the only downside is that some players would only use this feature and not contribute to the economy.

Maybe if we had a universal rental system where people could submit their comps to be rented out for a single battle at a time, or longer anywhere from an hour to a day/week/month/year, for a small fee, then it would still involve some sort of monetary interaction.  It could be sort of like an extra GTL but only for rentals and they automatically go back to the "RTL" after the battle/hour etc.

Without that then our mmo would basically just be showdown. 

Edited by Xatu

(to anybody)

•  

Person A does not play PokeMMO and has nothing to do with the game.

Person B plays PokeMMO but only plays in the randoms bracket.

As far as input into our PokeMMO economy, there is not much difference between player A and player B. The new players may buy a couple of pokes/items on GTL - that's about it. If you had to choose one in the interest of the longevity of the game, wouldn't you choose player B with the reason that he may or may not donate to server expenses, at one point make his own team (and contribute to the PokeMMO economy), or may introduce friends to the game who may possibly contribute economically or donate?

•  

Another nice feature someone mentioned to me about this is that it's a free opportunity for new players to learn the basics of the game up to a high level of play. How many times have we seen someone come in our forums and ask us for advice on their 1st or 2nd team and we say "just go buy you some IV's in the 20-25 range for your first team". They say "sorry no, I have to have 31's." Then they get burn out afterwords because their team build is just not that good. They quit. This game has a huge and time demanding learning curve for people new to pokemon. It would be nice to be able to say  "Sorry, but your team is just not that good, go play in the randoms bracket until you get a better idea of team building" instead of "sorry friend, go spend 3 million in breeding expenses and try again".

This is my first idea, the "random bracket". If you have played pokemon showdown it's the exact same thing and I think it is a viable suggestion with automated tournaments coming out. I don't think this puts us into battle simulator mode because you can fit it with the story and have a little NPC walk up to you and say "these 6 pokemon have been selected for you this match, good luck!".

Biggest danger here is getting like 5 pokemons whose weakness is idk, fighting moves or something. But I would play this so much.

There is allready tent in battle frontier, where you get 3 random pokemons at the beggining for PvNPC. Maybe it could look like this in pvp, 3x3 and go.

If only devs wouldn't think: "Yeah, we will give em random pokes for fights, then what's the point of making team or something?"

(to anybody)

•  

Person A does not play PokeMMO and has nothing to do with the game.

Person B plays PokeMMO but only plays in the randoms bracket.

As far as input into our PokeMMO economy, there is not much difference between player A and player B. The new players may buy a couple of pokes/items on GTL - that's about it. If you had to choose one in the interest of the longevity of the game, wouldn't you choose player B with the reason that he may or may not donate to server expenses, at one point make his own team (and contribute to the PokeMMO economy), or may introduce friends to the game who may possibly contribute economically or donate?

•  

Another nice feature someone mentioned to me about this is that it's a free opportunity for new players to learn the basics of the game up to a high level of play. How many times have we seen someone come in our forums and ask us for advice on their 1st or 2nd team and we say "just go buy you some IV's in the 20-25 range for your first team". They say "sorry no, I have to have 31's." Then they get burn out afterwords because their team build is just not that good. They quit. This game has a huge and time demanding learning curve for people new to pokemon. It would be nice to be able to say  "Sorry, but your team is just not that good, go play in the randoms bracket until you get a better idea of team building" instead of "sorry friend, go spend 3 million in breeding expenses and try again".

The thing is the random system on showdown is carefully balanced.  This isnt showdown and if someone wants to make a team in about 5~ minutes then they can simply just go on there.  Honestly if n00bs wanted to they could just go catch wilds, with any ivs, not worry about egg moves and start playing comp right then and there. The extra 15 stats dont making anywhere near as much difference as type match ups and player skill.  Instead of telling n00bs to go catch 20-25 iv mons we should encourage them to experiment and use whatever poke they want while also studying the type chart etc.  Even with random bats n00bies arent just going to magickally start knowing how to play pokemon competitively.

Why would someone come to a mmo, for an mmo experience, just to play showdown essentially?

You could of atleast responded to my rental trade link idea...

Why would someone come to a mmo, for an mmo experience, just to play showdown essentially?

You could of atleast responded to my rental trade link idea...

But does this make difference, if you gonna "rent" pokemon from another person, or from game? 

But does this make difference, if you gonna "rent" pokemon from another person, or from game? 

Yup it makes a huge difference because someone is still breeding and giving those mons tms/egg moves/tutor moves.  Then they have to pay a listing fee.  And then they make profit from each time and length the mon is rented for.  It's 100% different and actually supports the economy.

BUMP

Give this some serious thought please.

Even as it seems to "remove the need to create a team" thats not entirely true. You will always need your own stuff to join tournaments and get the glory and honor nice prizes.

So it can bring benefits in the shape of retaining new players, then providing some entretainment as these new players struggle to create their own team, and heck a ton of us seasoned players would also use it alot.

If  you want to 'force' players to actually make a team you can use BPs as fee but dont hand out any reward, this way anyone who wants to use the feature is eventually forced to grind either in PvE or PvP.