Character Customization 2.0

I like the new features so far but i got to list some (personal) issues i have so far:

-no angry eyebrows

why was this cut? It may seem subtle but it still would give more variety (also it makes the angry eyes a far more appealing option imo)

-the new colour palette

i like the new colours etc. but why did black vanish? and no, the "black" in that palette is not a true black. It's the mentally not developed brother of a dark grey.

-hairstyles

again it seems that soe of them were cut out for reasons. same as the eyebrows

that should be it for now.

post your opinion/critique/rant.

Edited by Linken

I like the new features so far but i got to list some (personal) issues i have so far:

-no angry eyebrows

why was this cut? It may seem subtle but it still would give more variety (also it makes the angry eyes a far more appealing option imo)

It was cut because it didn't have visual compatibility with the Calm/Angry Eyes.

If I was able to get support for those options to only be available when selecting the standard eyes I'd bring them back, but that was unlikely to happen.

-the new colour palette

i like the new colours etc. but why did black vanish? and no, the "black" in that palette is not a true black. It's the mentally not developed brother of a dark grey.

Black didn't vanish, it - like the other colours, were changed to fit the game world as Eggplant has pointed out above.

Presentation was key in the creation of Character Customization 2.0 and I really wanted to make sure that players felt as if they were part of the original experience instead of sticking out on top of it whilst also using the opportunity to add more colour options that many players had been asking for.

'True Black' doesn't fit the environment or the NPCs - The current black does however, and is still Black.

I think it looks nice, I use it myself after all.

-hairstyles

again it seems that soe of them were cut out for reasons. same as the eyebrows

A few (mostly unpopular) hairstyles were cut because of issues with hat compatibility and try and make sure that the hairstyles that were made available were of a high quality.

In this case it really was quality > quantity.

The original Character Customization was put together rather quickly and was a little rushed - ever since then I've had to drag horrible designs across from each iteration and it just became more and more unfeasible - some getting worse because the concept was never any good to begin with.

A common complaint I'd received was the inability to tell the gender of a character apart, which I felt was a fairly reasonable complaint given that we allow players to decide which gender they'd like to be at the creation screen.

What's the point of a choice if it has real bearing?

So I put a lot of focus into making each hairstyle reflect the choice that was made, aiming for around 10 hairstyles on either side - which is pretty good for most MMOs.

I've have learnt a great deal in these past 3 years and Character Customization 2.0 was designed to be my final iteration, I wanted to make sure that everything I put out looked good and took into account the mistakes I have made in the past.

I can honestly say for the first time I'm rather content with what I've created, which is not something I have felt for awhile.

From here on out I'll be building upon this new iteration with a lot of attention to each small detail, which is something the original iteration really needed.

double post cuz

24qsop0.png

> bike animation

It uses the 'Bicycle' code, as it is literally a Bicycle 'skin', having it use a separate animation altogether would require a lot of additional work - not to mention it would look pretty weird when the NPCs who use Motorcycles also use a 'Bicycle' style animation too.

Anyway, Character Customization has gone through many changes over time, and it's impossible to keep everyone happy but my goal has been the same throughout.

I really appreciate the overwhelmingly positive reception that Character Customization 2.0 has received alongside the critique.

I hope this answers your questions, and look forward to some awesome new Vanity Items that are on the way shortly.

As you can see above, I showed a sneak peak of the upcoming 'Motorcycle' on the PTS.

Those that haven't had the chance to hop on and take a look at Character Customization 2.0 and the new PvP features should definitely come on and take a look, you're missing out.

EDIT:

do the capes still look fresh af? havent been on pts

They sure do, animated and everything.

I really like Character Customization 2.0, although I was a bit shaky about it at first. It has really grown on me, such as the new cape animations, and the knight helmet overhaul (along with the desu hat ofc). I see people complaining about the lack of the "blacker than black" black color, but I honestly think this change was for the best. I actually noticed how the color itself was very "off" from other items that were meant to be black (i.e. tuxedo). People are also hating on the electric storm, but I honestly think it looks pretty great the way that it is. It looks more realistic now, although not as extravagant (It looked sorta messy before, and now it looks more clean and put-together). My recommendation is for the people who dislike this aesthetic change to give it a chance.

This hairstyle was removed unfortunately,

x0eKDzm.png

But this hairstyle made it to the PTS

5DZdr8u.png

I really think it should be included too when the update becomes live. It's on par in terms of quality and by removing hairstyles that don't even look bad we are just being limited when it comes to variety.

Edited by TechNine

This hairstyle was removed unfortunately,

x0eKDzm.png

It wasn't removed, it just looks a little different now:

Medium_Perm.png

Unfortunately when I initially designed it I was unable to pull off the 'hair over the ear' look for reasons I can't quite remember (It has something to do with ear placement though).

Character Customization 2.0 had a static ear placement on the Front/Back sprites, which allowed me to shape it properly.

Well I checked most of the sutff there (it would have been great if we could have bought any vanity to see how it looked) and I loved it, I loved the colors, idk why u're complaining about black, it looks dope now, white is great, purple, etc, etc I really love the palette. I like the color of bikes and I also like the movement of the sprites now, it looks much more natural. Good job DS I really like what u did here now give us the ludicolo hat we all want xDDD

I noticed many of my vanities change colour entirely with customization 2.0 on PTS. Will those changes apply for the main server after the update? For example my cape is black colour in the game but it goes light blue in PTS, will it also become light blue after the update?