Too many GTL entries

BigShotJoe

For kicks and giggles, I decided to see how many entries in the GTL are just advertising Pokemon that nobody will ever buy. After clicking the "next page" button about 27192839817282 times, I decided to just see how many are being sold for 5k or less. At the time of this posting, there are nearly 11,000 entries priced at 5k or less. Practically nobody even looks at entries that are priced lower than 15k unless something catches their eye (species, unusual level, etc...). At the time of posting, there are about 34,000 entries in the GTL. At least a third of these are utter crap that nobody will ever even think about buying.

My reason for this post is thus: We obviously have a problem here, but I have no idea how it could be fixed. I was wondering if anyone else had some suggestions.

P.S. Suggesting that people only use the Advanced Search isn't helpful in the least. Browsing is as big a part of any market as buying specific things you need.

I would argue that this is not a problem in the slightest. If a player lists something and it doesn't get bought, it's up to them to rethink their pricing if they decide to try to sell it again. If you are trying to sell a Pokemon that doesn't stand out at all from other members of its species and you are listing it at a higher price than others are selling for, you are of course going to have difficulty selling it. If a player simply wants "a Skarmory", they're likely to go for the cheapest one. Provided that you are smart with your pricing, you can sell literally anything.

If you actually believe this to be a problem, there is no feasible solution. It's a player-driven market, meaning that it's entirely up to the seller to make their goods look attractive to potential buyers. No part of this will be automated, we will not be rejecting a player's listings, and we're not going to put random Pokemon in some kind of spotlight to help them sell either. If a problem exists at all, it is with the sellers rather than the system.

Despite asking that it not be mentioned, the advanced search exists for a reason. It's still possible to browse a large number of Pokemon if you don't make your requirements overly specific.

I would argue that this is not a problem in the slightest. If a player lists something and it doesn't get bought, it's up to them to rethink their pricing if they decide to try to sell it again. If you are trying to sell a Pokemon that doesn't stand out at all from other members of its species and you are listing it at a higher price than others are selling for, you are of course going to have difficulty selling it. If a player simply wants "a Skarmory", they're likely to go for the cheapest one. Provided that you are smart with your pricing, you can sell literally anything.

If you actually believe this to be a problem, there is no feasible solution. It's a player-driven market, meaning that it's entirely up to the seller to make their goods look attractive to potential buyers. No part of this will be automated, we will not be rejecting a player's listings, and we're not going to put random Pokemon in some kind of spotlight to help them sell either. If a problem exists at all, it is with the sellers rather than the system.

Despite asking that it not be mentioned, the advanced search exists for a reason. It's still possible to browse a large number of Pokemon if you don't make your requirements overly specific.

this

One mans garbage is another mans treasure.

I think to look at them as "crap pokemon nobody will ever buy" is wrong if you actually interact with the community and new players you will see alot of the new players are happy about getting for example a "crappy larvitar" if there werent these listings in gtl these players wouldnt be able to get the pokemon they want for cheap.

As Rache mentioned there is "advanced search" nobody has to look through all those listings...

the only idea that i got to the problem u see is...

Add a field on Advanced Search that accounts total ivs (like the points from the catch contest events)

this atleast will make a lil bit easier to erase crappy pokes from the ones you're looking at on the search.

The problem I see does not affect the seller but all the people searching through this sea of Pokemon. There are literally thousands of Pokemon in there that no one would ever buy (rattata, weedle, wurmple, to name a few) with absolutely horrid IV's that can be caught by anyone for the price of a single Pokeball. I'm not asking for listings to be rejected or promoted, but perhaps these listings should be returned or nullified after each week (perhaps with a button under the "Your Listings" tab to re-enter the Pokemon into the system). Whether the seller should have to pay the fee again or not is a matter of debate, but I believe it would be good incentive to price it at something that other people are going to pay. This would also deter people from listing dozens of Pokemon that will never sell (like a rattata with all it's IV's below 10. Believe me, I've seen more than a few like that). 

this

One mans garbage is another mans treasure.

I think to look at them as "crap pokemon nobody will ever buy" is wrong if you actually interact with the community and new players you will see alot of the new players are happy about getting for example a "crappy larvitar" if there werent these listings in gtl these players wouldnt be able to get the pokemon they want for cheap.

As Rache mentioned there is "advanced search" nobody has to look through all those listings...

If you look at the cheapest ten thousand listings, almost none of them are Pokemon like Larvitar, Bagon, or even Dratini. They are almost entirely Pokemon that can be caught within the first hour of gameplay. 

Maybe the fee for listing pokes needs to be higher :)

As much as I hate to admit it, this might not be a super-terrible idea. At least the minimum fee. Of course, we might just see the same number of Pokemon listed for slightly more.

i make a point of looking at cheap pokes because you never know which inexperienced player is selling dem 31 ivs unknowingly

I do too, but when there are almost 11,000 listings with nothing good about them, it makes it very difficult to find that one small gem you're hoping for.

Add a field on Advanced Search that accounts total ivs (like the points from the catch contest events)

this atleast will make a lil bit easier to erase crappy pokes from the ones you're looking at on the search.

This is pretty much the best solution I could think of, too. While I have no idea how difficult this would be to implement, it would be a very nice feature.

As a new player who is still working through the gyms, I bought a Magikarp with good (20-25) IVs for about $9k, because I couldn't be bothered to keep trying to catch one which I would then have to level up etc.

Under $15k Pokemon are still useful to some people.

You bought one decent Pokemon for $9k. However, I was only looking at the 11,000 listings that were priced at $5k or less. I doubt you scanned through even a small portion of these. 

When almost a third of the market is little more than spam, is there not a problem? Let me hear your thoughts.

I feel like, if players don't want to see the "garbage" that is listed, the tools are provided through advanced search options or w/e, to filter out that "gargbage", not really a big deal that they are there.

The thing is, could overloading GTL with lots of Pokemon/items make it slower? If that's the case then maybe something needs to be done, of course I have no idea if it does make it slower.

One method that could be used. Currently, Pokemon in GTL are on a set timer(like a week?) before they get removed, this timer resets each time the owner logs in I believe. If we were to make the timer not reset each time the owner logs in, that should reduce the amount of Pokemon/Items in GTL. The only problem with this, expensive shinies probably won't sell even at their set value in a week which could cause some problems.

This is pretty much the best solution I could think of, too. While I have no idea how difficult this would be to implement, it would be a very nice feature.

It should not be so complicated for sure, maybe they didnt even think of it focusing on some other stuff.

Edited by XxRoussxX

There is always going to be crap pokemon in the GTL, however even at 50k there is a lot of crap pokemon at that price range, however I found a few decent comps with 25+ ivs across the board. 

However, if you're looking for hidden gems, then start using the adv search and set the minimum of all the pokemon to 20 or 25 on IVs. Then see what comes up.

There is always going to be crap pokemon in the GTL, however even at 50k there is a lot of crap pokemon at that price range, however I found a few decent comps with 25+ ivs across the board. 

However, if you're looking for hidden gems, then start using the adv search and set the minimum of all the pokemon to 20 or 25 on IVs. Then see what comes up.

Kite, you reliably unhelpful. Everything you just said has been stated and responded to already. Obviously, I use the advanced search. However, I feel it should not be the only viable way of finding something of worth.

I don't know, maybe I brought this up too soon. It almost always takes people at least a year to see problems with new features. I guess I'll bring this up again around Christmas.

That seems like it'd be relatively useless for anything outside of 6x31s, you have no idea where the IVs are placed - so anything under that could mean your most important IV has the potential to be the lowest.

The current ability to advanced search particular IV ranges already does everything you want and more.

That seems like it'd be relatively useless for anything outside of 6x31s, you have no idea where the IVs are placed - so anything under that could mean your most important IV has the potential to be the lowest.

The current ability to advanced search particular IV ranges already does everything you want and more.

It's useful when you dont know what you are looking for.

I personally use this chart to search for breeders: o = 28+, . = any

[spoiler]

o o o o . .
o o o . o .
o o o . . o
o o . o . o
o o . o o .
o . o o o .
o . o o . o
o . o . o o
. . o o o o
. o o o o .
. o o o . o
. o . o o o
. o o . o o
. o o o . o
. o o o o .

[/spoiler]

Every.Single.Time.

So if you could add a "Search for 112+" that would save alot of time.

[spoiler]

Either that or the OR search, I like the OR more tho.

[/spoiler]

The problem is that we are reaching a point where being smart is profiting 500 yen for a catch in some cases.

I can't say I agree, even if you purchase the best balls available to buy - that's still just under half your expenditure per ball.

A 41.6% profit to be more specific.

I fail to see why that wouldn't be smart in any scenario.

[spoiler]

Either that or the OR search, I like the OR more tho.

[/spoiler]

I prefer that to total IVs, as it has more uses outside of just the high end.

It's an interesting idea.

I can't say I agree, even if you purchase the best balls available to buy - that's still just under half your expenditure per ball.

A 41.6% profit to be more specific.

I fail to see why that wouldn't be smart in any scenario.

While it is smart as a percentage, you have to also think about the actual value. $500 per catch means it takes many, many catches to make any serious amount of money. Not all catches will be sold and not all are worth the ball being used to catch them. Only a small fraction of all Pokemon caught are actually sold, no matter the price. Due to this, players often need to sell for 10x or more what it cost to catch the Pokemon just to make an overall profit.
If they were able to make a 40% profit on everything they caught, there would be no reason to disagree with you. However, this is simply not the case.

Edited by BigShotJoe

While it is smart as a percentage, you have to also think about the actual value. $500 per catch means it takes many, many catches to make any serious amount of money. Not all catches will be sold and not all are worth the ball being used to catch them. Only a small fraction of all Pokemon caught are actually sold, no matter the price. Due to this, players often need to sell for 10x or more what it cost to catch the Pokemon just to make an overall profit.
If they were able to make a 40% profit on everything they caught, there would be no reason to disagree with you. However, this is simply not the case.

Not all species need to be possible to make a career from. The market runs on supply and demand and some Pokemon are inherently more popular than others - the Pokemon that storyliners like to use will inevitably sell a lot quicker than unpopular ones if the price is reasonable. Rare Pokemon will also almost always result in a decent amount of profit too as they help people to complete the Pokedex with minimal effort. If the Pokemon is both popular AND rare such as in the case of Eevee, you'll find that you can sell even the worst member of its species for an enormous amount of profit. If you're trying to make a fortune on low-demand Pokemon like Rattata and Paras, it may be best to rethink your tactics.

I dont get this drama. 

If you want to buy something use advanced search to filter through egg groups/natures/genders/IV

If you want to sell something, just ask yourself if someone will be willing to buy it (really, 10lv tentacool with average 8iv points wont be most wanted pokemon in GTL). Just dont be suprised nobody bought your shitty poke, sometimes is better to just release than leave poor poke in GTL limbo.

If this is soo complicated just farm yens and pay someone to do breed for you 

Not all species need to be possible to make a career from. The market runs on supply and demand and some Pokemon are inherently more popular than others - the Pokemon that storyliners like to use will inevitably sell a lot quicker than unpopular ones if the price is reasonable. Rare Pokemon will also almost always result in a decent amount of profit too as they help people to complete the Pokedex with minimal effort. If the Pokemon is both popular AND rare such as in the case of Eevee, you'll find that you can sell even the worst member of its species for an enormous amount of profit. If you're trying to make a fortune on low-demand Pokemon like Rattata and Paras, it may be best to rethink your tactics.

This is more or less my train of thought. Unfortunately, there is no reason other than a very low listing fee to avoid throwing every single thing you catch into the GTL. I understand that Eevee will sell easily, and I understand why. The problem I see is that there are far too many listings that will literally never ever be bought and there is no reason to take the listings down. I don't think anyone, veteran or noob, would buy a level 4 Rattata with sub-20 IV's across the board no matter what price it's listed for.

I dont get this drama. 

If you want to buy something use advanced search to filter through egg groups/natures/genders/IV

If you want to sell something, just ask yourself if someone will be willing to buy it (really, 10lv tentacool with average 8iv points wont be most wanted pokemon in GTL). Just dont be suprised nobody bought your shitty poke, sometimes is better to just release than leave poor poke in GTL limbo.

If this is soo complicated just farm yens and pay someone to do breed for you 

If the only viable way to find something worth buying is to use the advanced search, why do we have any other features in the GTL? 
Have you looked at the GTL lately? Do you really think most of the listing on there are going to sell? There are over 11,000 listings that are priced at 5k or less. People don't care about the chances of their listing actually selling. 
There is no reason to care. At least when trade chat was our only market option, it took effort to spam your shitty Pokemon. That actually improved the quality of things being sold. It didn't help the chat itself, but you didn't see nearly as many worthless Pidgeys on there.
Players need a reason to care about whether or not their listing will sell. 34,000 listings in the GTL right now and maybe 1/4 of them will ever sell.

The best solution I can come up with for this is to make players pay the fee for their listings again once a week. Much like a real market in which you have to pay for advertising and storage space when trying to sell your product. The advertising would be keeping the listing visible, of course. The storage space, while seemingly infinite now, would be a slot in the GTL.
Forcing players to pay to keep their listing in the GTL encourages them to ask for reasonable prices to sell they're product quickly and minimize the total fees they have to pay and discourages players from flooding the GTL with things that nobody would ever buy. If this happens, it would probably also be best to remove or severely lower the minimum listing fee so that plays are not forced to pay 1k for each sellable listing they post.

Kite, you reliably unhelpful. Everything you just said has been stated and responded to already. Obviously, I use the advanced search. However, I feel it should not be the only viable way of finding something of worth.

I don't know, maybe I brought this up too soon. It almost always takes people at least a year to see problems with new features. I guess I'll bring this up again around Christmas.

If a lot of people are repeating what each other are saying, it really shows that there is a tool you can use to make your searches more specific. If you refuse to use a tool that can do a much better job a lot quicker, then complain about doing the job a different way it isn't anyone's fault you refuse the tools given to you.

Doesn't matter what MMO it is, there will always be people who will try to put junk in Auction Houses and features like Auction Houses. It's inevitable. 

If a lot of people are repeating what each other are saying, it really shows that there is a tool you can use to make your searches more specific. If you refuse to use a tool that can do a much better job a lot quicker, then complain about doing the job a different way it isn't anyone's fault you refuse the tools given to you.

Doesn't matter what MMO it is, there will always be people who will try to put junk in Auction Houses and features like Auction Houses. It's inevitable. 

First off, I wasn't talking about just this thread. I meant all your posts in general.
Second, I have stated more than once that the advanced search option is inadequate in it's current state.
And third, I never once said that i refuse to use the advanced search. Look back and actually read the thread. I have not, nor has anyone else, refused to use the tools given to us. I can tell English isn't your native language, but if you read and understand what's being said, you can tell very easily that this is about suggesting ways to improve the search function and/or cut down on crap listings that nobody will ever buy. 

It's been stated many times. You can scroll up and down for a reason, y'know.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.