[Denied] [Metronome] Tournament Mode

PokeMMO has finally found an identity among the competitive Pokemon games and that identity is none other than "Metronome". This tier has swept PokeMMO by storm and has breathed life into a struggling competitive community. With this in mind, it is understandable that we request that a Tournament Mode option is implemented for Metronome to help remove the problematic moves that are present when we try to play this tier in Normal Mode and to help those trying to ref these events as well.

The design of a Tournament Mode Metronome option should include all of the following:

• Species/Pristine/Self KO/Bag Items 
  • The only held item allowed for this tournament are Leppa Berries
  • Only the use of Metronome is allowed
  • All pokemon shall be scaled down to Level 30, if above

In addition to this, the following moves should be removed from a Tournament Mode Metronome tier:

• Taunt
  • Disable
  • Imprison
  • Torment

There may be more options that should be included or more moves that should be prevented from being summoned, so I expect the community to chime in. I don't pretend to be a know-everything when it comes to the design of this tier, so speak up folks.

Thanks for hearing me out. It would be pretty awesome to see this happen. 

Edited by DoubleJ

Something I forgot to add in the OP and was mentioned to me, for unofficial events, a Tournament Mode for Metronome would be insanely beneficial as it currently is easy to abuse held items. I can only assume there have been, and are players, that have used for instance a Choice Band during these unofficial events that are hosted. 

Something I forgot to add in the OP and was mentioned to me, for unofficial events, a Tournament Mode for Metronome would be insanely beneficial as it currently is easy to abuse held items. I can only assume there have been, and are players, that have used for instance a Choice Band during these unofficial events that are hosted. 

I thing the moderators can check the items

This is the third time in a very short period of time this thread has been made. And as I mentioned in the first thread, I don't see the point in preventing moves like taunt when we get the move deleter. The move deleter is a feature that benefits the game in several ways (sleep talk + whirlwind is a known gimmick,) and in particular it solves every problem with the current clefairy cup. You get taunted? Struggle or switch out. You get disabled? Struggle or switch out. You get imprisoned? Struggle or switch out. You get tormented? Struggle or switch out. Really, if we could just have pokemon knowing metronome as their only move, everthing would be so much simpler.

Tl;dr: Give us the move deleter already

This is the third time in a very short period of time this thread has been made. And as I mentioned in the first thread, I don't see the point in preventing moves like taunt when we get the move deleter. The move deleter is a feature that benefits the game in several ways (sleep talk + whirlwind is a known gimmick,) and in particular it solves every problem with the current clefairy cup. You get taunted? Struggle or switch out. You get disabled? Struggle or switch out. You get imprisoned? Struggle or switch out. You get tormented? Struggle or switch out. Really, if we could just have pokemon knowing metronome as their only move, everthing would be so much simpler.

Tl;dr: Give us the move deleter already

That would be nice and all, but it doesn't solve the problem of Mean Look / Block / Spider Web into one of the moves you mentioned above. Also, these moves are inherently broken in Metronome and only function to reduce the competitiveness of the tier (the little bit that there actually is). It's a guaranteed GG to force something to Struggle and imo this shouldn't be a plausible way to win a match for a Clef Cup.

I do agree though, we need a Move Deleter for other aspects of gameplay.  

That would be nice and all, but it doesn't solve the problem of Mean Look / Block / Spider Web into one of the moves you mentioned above. Also, these moves are inherently broken in Metronome and only function to reduce the competitiveness of the tier (the little bit that there actually is). It's a guaranteed GG to force something to Struggle and imo this shouldn't be a plausible way to win a match for a Clef Cup.

This would need some proper analysis to assert, since there is no way to tell a priori whether trap + struggle inducing move is less competitive than OHKO moves or memento. About 3/350 moves are trapping moves, while about 3/350 are struggle inducing moves (not counting torment because it's only struggle every other turn.) You would first need to trap the opponent, which has less than 1% chance of happening every turn, and then use a struggle inducing move, again less than 1% chance of happening every turn. Not to mention you can get out of the trap if either player uses a switching move like whirlwind or baton pass, which is more likely than using a struggle inducing move. In fact, if the player who is trapped uses a struggle inducing move, the opponent is also forced to switch out, breaking the trap. By your reasoning, we should probably also ban toxic and perish song, since they are very strong together with trapping. If there is anything uncompetitive here, it's the trapping moves, not the struggle inducing moves. Because, even if you have only one pokemon left and can't switch and the opponent uses a struggle inducing move, that is still just about three times as likely as you killing your opponent with a OHKO move, which is about the same chance that your opponent will kill himself with memento. Another thing, removing struggle inducing moves makes switching even less of a likely option, removing the "skill level" in clefairy cup even more.

Btw, this was not a proper analysis to disprove your assertion, but merely information that should make it clear why you assertion is non-obvious, if at all true.

Edited by PandaJJ

As much as we all enjoy Clefairy Cup, it would be silly to create a battle mode with these rules now unless we also make one for every other gimmick (Little Cup, Sky Battles, etc). Even then, it may not be worth turning into a proper tier due to the complete randomness of it. Metronome battles don't require any form of skill or strategy - there are no good or bad players, etc. Metronome battles, while extremely fun, are also something that very few people actually play and that require special preparation to even have a team for in the first place.

Most importantly though, What you are asking for is impossible. If we ban every move that isn't Metronome, those moves will not work when called by it.

0ZJUR7.png

We also lack the support to ban moves within a single tier - if it's banned in one, it's banned in all of them. I imagine that item bans work the same way too. Metronome mechanics also can't be changed in the way you're suggesting either - if we prevent Metronome from calling a certain move in a hypothetical Clef Cup tier, it's going to apply to all game modes. Those moves will become entirely impossible to call through Metronome no matter what conditions it's being used under.

What you're asking for can't be done, so this won't be happening. Without the ability to disable the moves that hinder Clef Cup battles, the rest isn't worth creating a separate tier for.

There are some things that players can do on their own to enforce the rules at least.

[spoiler] If battles are done in normal mode, most move-related concerns should cease to be a problem. In the unlikely situation that someone is put into a position in which they can't use Metronome OR switch, hitting the AFK timeout button (to restart the battle without healing) or stalling with Pokeballs until the effect wears off are options. If it's a double battle, Leppa Berries and X Speeds can be used to waste those turns instead. Once we have it, the move deleter will make Struggling an option too.

As far as held items go, most of them that aren't Leppa Berries will be obvious to the majority of people who actually have teams for this. Leftovers and other berries broadcast their own effects, Choice Bands (and to an extent type boosting items) provide a very noticeable damage buff. Cheating with items also runs the risk of being exposed entirely by Knock Off, Trick, etc. We always check held items during events regardless, and linking teams to the host of an unofficial after the battle begins (it's possible to do in normal mode) is a way to make sure that nobody is using other items there too.

[/spoiler]

Edited by RacheLucario