[Implemented] New battle timer in doubles

long ass post

I don't think anyone was ever saying it should be impossible to lose on time or that anyone was ever refuting that if the timer is upped to 20 seconds and they take more than 20 seconds they should lose. No where was anyone arguing against it. This stuff is common basic knowledge. The fact is stating these obvious facts that have little or nothing to do with the OP doesn't add anything to the discussion.

The original intent saying if you take take more than 10 seconds per turn you will eventually lose based on time was clearly trying to demonstrate that 10 seconds is not long enough not due to ignorance of what a timer does. That's why you never saw anyone say to remove the timer. It was merely stated that we think the time given is unfair which shows that we know what a timer does and you do not need to explain that if we use longer than the time given losing to time is still a thing.

Now back to the topic. Given how 10 seconds is the timer for singles and the fact that there far far more possible options to pick from in doubles leaving the timer the same for both tiers is rather nonsensical. All of this combined with the fact that we have to be careful when selecting moves and swaps because we still do not have a cancel button for some reason (another thread for another time) doubling the time should be the least you could do.

• 4 weeks later...

Sigh. Post deleted because I used the word "bump?" I shouldn't have to bump this thread from the third page when it's one of the most pressing issues in PVP right now.

Squirtle, we talked in game a few days ago and you assured me that PVP was the focus of the next update. How can you say that, while this issue is completely ignored? Or am I dead wrong, and this issue is being given the attention it deserves? I don't say this often, but I truly hope I'm wrong.

Wow, I totally missed this thread. Looks to me like Xela was just outright looking for an argument rather than trying to discussion the actual problem, which is that there is not enough time allotted for a doubles match to be ran effectively. I'd suggest a quick fix on this if anything. Keith brought up a valid point that there is roughly 40s per turn for VGC, which is just 4v4. Maybe we could adopt a similar platform, or even increase to at least 20s returned per move. 

Keith brought up a valid point that there is roughly 40s per turn for VGC, which is just 4v4. Maybe we could adopt a similar platform, or even increase to at least 20s returned per move. 

Only problem with VGC is that there's a time cap at 15mins, and the player with the most pokemon (or health, if tied) wins. This is necessary to prevent matches from going on for too long, something which is possible due to moves such as minimize being legal. However, it is really bad competitively because it invalidates certain strategies. It's particularly nasty when you are one turn away from winning, but your opponent stalls out the timer and wins due to having more health. Our current timer is perfect, except from the amount of time. 3m+20s as we have suggested give you 38s per move in a 10-turn game, or 29s per move in a 20-turn game (doubles games tend to be in that range.) It's also worth noting that weather effects eat your timer, which I can only assume to be a bug. Weather is common enough in doubles to effectively reduce your increment to 7s in a lot of games, which is plain stupid.

It's also worth noting that weather effects eat your timer, which I can only assume to be a bug. Weather is common enough in doubles to effectively reduce your increment to 7s in a lot of games, which is plain stupid.

I noticed this the other day while spectating a doubles match but I thought it might have just been because I started spectating late. Absolutely absurd. But hey, on the bright side, at least the current timer eliminates people from CHEATING by USING CALCS amirite darkshade?

• 1 month later...